[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
I could have sworn beforehand that Jeremy would prefer the GTI. A bit predictable.

As for the SIARPC, no idea who he was.

Surprisingly, this time the Richard-segment was the best by far. Great cinematography and a stunning car to behold. The 918 Spyder is so much more beautiful than the P1.

The camera's the Top Gear crew are using are way better than they used to be.

Yes they are.

Incidentally, does anyone happen to know what type of camera TG have started using for some of their handheld shooting? They used it for shooting James on the sail boat in the New Zealand race against Jezza, and used it in this episode for the interior car shots of Richard's film in Abu Dhabi when he left the race track. Whatever it is, it has a very distinct quality to it.

You can see it in action here at 58:34: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03xpmwk/Top_Gear_Series_21_Episode_5/

Last edited:
Great episode, a solid 9.
Loved SIARPC, news was OK if a bit overdone, car items were very good.

Let?s all hold our hands and pray for a dry lap for the P1, 918 and theFerrari...

Well, I think we've officially found this season's low point.

Hatchbacks:
What was this all about? A review of 3 hatchbacks but with 1 not actually taking part in it?
And bullying the best performance hatchback out there, because the rules of physics are valid for Top Gear as well? ;)

Bicycle:
Not sure how this is in any way related to Top Gear.

SIARPC:
Did not watch it as usual, so it does not influence my rating.

918:
No real information. The whole thing felt like a self-help-video trying to justify the existence of that vehicle by trying to diminish the P1s obvious superiority to the 918.

Conclusion: 3/10
In regards to actual content, this episode hardly deserves any points at all, but I have rewarded 3 points for technical quality.

Very important this bit. Rightly or wrongly at the moment, Ferrari press cars have a real credibility issue that will take a few years at the very least to shake.

Has Ferrari been caught uptuning press cars or was there something else I missed?

Suprise about the Mercedes, but it was obvious that the Golf was going to win - always has, always will.
The BMW is ugly from the front.
"take the third reich" was very funny.
I like how they're handling Hammonds Porsche-situation, reminiscent of Clarkson's Ford GT dilemna.
I even watched the SIARPC. Another great episode. 9/10
Question: How come they always leave the clothing tags on? To return it afterwards or just as a running gag ?

4/10

This episode was really boring for me,i am only giving it a 4 because of the 918 segment and that's it.

Everything ruined by this cycling-bit. It was just utter pointless. Films were quite nice, but it would have been somethign for the so-called "news" and dit not deserve an on segment on it's proposed development.

Really liked the cinematography on the Porsche segment.

Finally, the GTI! Even if it was unfair to compare it to the M135i, because then they should have tested the Golf R20. Merc is a pointless car, but also on another level to which the others can't hold up to.

Still, because of bikes: 6/10

Hot hatches: didn't like it. Felt too swayed by Jeremy's spin to be a fair analysis. Also, I would've liked to see how much of that ?46000 the Merc was worth.
Bicycles: I enjoyed the last time they did one of these (with the Scirocco), but this just felt like diminishing returns. Still creative though.
918: By far the highlight. Although Abu Dhabi may not be a very exciting track to drive, it's a beautiful looking one. The whole segment was fantastically shot and riveting to watch. Now May just needs to take the LaFerrari to Monza.

8/10 overall, but mostly for the 918.

Last edited:
SIARPC:
Did not watch it as usual, so it does not influence my rating.

I'm not on my own then? It bores me rigid.

8/10

- The News had a really creepy bunch behind May and Hammond.
+ Jesse Pinkman... BITCH!!! ;D
+ 918 is phenomenal, and the only Porche I'm interested in seeing much more of in future episodes.

Interesting seeing the P1 or 918 preferences here.
When the 918 was first announced, I was "yup, i'll take one", then the P1 review aired a couple of weeks ago and I was thinking "hmm, that does seem pretty mental" but after this week I'm back with my vote going to the 918.
I'd agree it doesn't look anywhere near as dramatic but I kinda like that, and day to day I reckon it would be more usable.

(all of the above is irrelevant as I can't afford either, of course)

Jezza's spin shows and confirms the fact that the life of those guys is everytime in danger. Proper danger!

For us, to simple stay on the couch and give a simple note with a bag of chips in our lap, it's simple and sometimes superfficialy...

But to be entertainment, a little bit infformative and always new and fresh, and with your life in the game, it's blody difficult. Sometimes, if you are Jezza, or May, or Richard, and you spin like that, it makes you wonder if its worthy to die (or even whorse-to be mutilated) in a 30k car, in a straight line, without traffic and mountains ahead... For that, this guys and all the team behind get's a 10+ for me.

Plus the fact that those guys are not in the 30's anymore... Richard is younger, but he had a deadly crash in the past... Sometimes, this kind of trauma make cause a permanet brain damage. For the "simple" fact that he is back in the cars sience then with the pedall on the floor, is simple outstaining. It's not the money anymore. After that, you simply want to live.
Look at the guys that were on the Everest; got a couple of fingers and a nouse frozen and back to home. Many of that gys are dead now... Why? Because they were back on the Himalaya mountains dissapear in the abis... At a small scale, it's the same situation with Top Gear presenters.
Also, i think that tose 3 guys had more accident behind the camera that we don't now yet. I trullly think that...

It's true that in the backstage are an army of people on this big show, but still... as i saw, a brand new BMW can kill you in a simple straight line. Also, Jeremy is a big animal that puts weight on the front suspension... Probably with Richard in the same scenario the spin had happen a little bit earlyer and harder...
Also, the Jezza review on this episode is TRUE, with some cold blood, like allways.
The AMG Mercedes is simple too f. expensive and so, is out. It does not care if it's brilliant, it's arrogant expensive compared with the other two cars. Then the fact that the spin and deadly comportament of the BMW was given to the public, makes Top Gear a truly infformative show, despite the comedy, scenario and other tipical facts that some of us think is rubbish. If you can discern the information, after each episode, you cand end up with a lough on your face, a blessing soul, some (a lot!) beautiful imagies and a little bit information.

The comercial parts in the show are so well hidden that i don't give a coin for that, because it compensaited with the cold blod reviews. If the car is good or brilliant, it is, it does NOT cares if it is from Romania or a garage with a name on it... Or if is rubbish, it is rubish, despite the logo on the steering wheel. That's a very very important caracter of the show.

Top Gear (still) RULEZ. The same resepy, the same people, the same show and it's still in the same league (8-10). This episode get's from me a worthy 9. A 10 it's allmoust impossible. But the all crew gets a 10+ from me. And for that, because i'm in a melancoly state of mind, this episode i give it a rare 10.

Thank you for your time reading this, and excuse me for my bad english...

Last edited:
No, there are a lot of us on this site that don't watch it. I'd go as far as to say it's probably the least liked segment on the show.

Oh, it's just that when I said as much last time I got a few "What?!" responses.

- - - Updated - - -

8/10

- The News had a really creepy bunch behind May and Hammond.
Ah, you mean physically unattractive and not 21 anymore.

Last edited:
918:
No real information. The whole thing felt like a self-help-video trying to justify the existence of that vehicle by trying to diminish the P1s obvious superiority to the 918.

Conclusion: 3/10
In regards to actual content, this episode hardly deserves any points at all, but I have rewarded 3 points for technical quality.
The rest of the world can't see the superiority of the P1, and the specs doesn't show it either.

Hot hatches: didn't like it. Felt too swayed by Jeremy's spin to be a fair analysis. Also, I would've liked to see how much of that ?46000 the Merc was worth.
Bicycles: I enjoyed the last time they did one of these (with the Scirocco), but this just felt like diminishing returns. Still creative though.
918: By far the highlight. Although Abu Dhabi may not be a very exciting track to drive, it's a beautiful looking one. The whole segment was fantastically shot and riveting to watch. Now May just needs to take the LaFerrari to Monza.

8/10 overall, but mostly for the 918.
Loved the spin, it's the first un-scripted thing to happen i three years, at least!
Ferrari might do like with the Enzo -Refuse to lend it out to the press. But I bet Top Gear know people that will let them drive it.

Speak for yourself. I'm hoping for rain. Lot of rain. :shifty:
That would be unfair... To the Ferrari and the P1. The Porsche would absolutely dominate in those conditions.

Interesting seeing the P1 or 918 preferences here.
When the 918 was first announced, I was "yup, i'll take one", then the P1 review aired a couple of weeks ago and I was thinking "hmm, that does seem pretty mental" but after this week I'm back with my vote going to the 918.
I'd agree it doesn't look anywhere near as dramatic but I kinda like that, and day to day I reckon it would be more usable.

(all of the above is irrelevant as I can't afford either, of course)
Same here, the P1-segment on TG made me like it a lot more. Not more than the 918, but still. This weeks 918-vid was awesome. TG really know how to make cars look their best on the screen. 9000 screaming RPMs at 240kph with blue flames out of the top-mounted exhausts? Damn that was cool!

Jezza's spin shows and confirms the fact that the life of those guys is everytime in danger. Proper danger!

For us, to simple stay on the couch and give a simple note with a bag of chips in our lap, it's simple and sometimes superfficialy...

But to be entertainment, a little bit infformative and always new and fresh, and with your life in the game, it's blody difficult. Sometimes, if you are Jezza, or May, or Richard, and you spin like that, it makes you wonder if its worthy to die (or even whorse-to be mutilated) in a 30k car, in a straight line, without traffic and mountains ahead... For that, this guys and all the team behind get's a 10+ for me.

Plus the fact that those guys are not in the 30's anymore... Richard is younger, but he had a deadly crash in the past... Sometimes, this kind of trauma make cause a permanet brain damage. For the "simple" fact that he is back in the cars sience then with the pedall on the floor, is simple outstaining. It's not the money anymore. After that, you simply want to live.
Look at the guys that were on the Everest; got a couple of fingers and a nouse frozen and back to home. Many of that gys are dead now... Why? Because they were back on the Himalaya mountains dissapear in the abis... At a small scale, it's the same situation with Top Gear presenters.
Also, i think that tose 3 guys had more accident behind the camera that we don't now yet. I trullly think that...

It's true that in the backstage are an army of people on this big show, but still... as i saw, a brand new BMW can kill you in a simple straight line. Also, Jeremy is a big animal that puts weight on the front suspension... Probably with Richard in the same scenario the spin had happen a little bit earlyer and harder...
Also, the Jezza review on this episode is TRUE, with some cold blood, like allways.
The AMG Mercedes is simple too f. expensive and so, is out. It does not care if it's brilliant, it's arrogant expensive compared with the other two cars. Then the fact that the spin and deadly comportament of the BMW was given to the public, makes Top Gear a truly infformative show, despite the comedy, scenario and other tipical facts that some of us think is rubbish. If you can discern the information, after each episode, you cand end up with a lough on your face, a blessing soul, some (a lot!) beautiful imagies and a little bit information.

The comercial parts in the show are so well hidden that i don't give a coin for that, because it compensaited with the cold blod reviews. If the car is good or brilliant, it is, it does NOT cares if it is from Romania or a garage with a name on it... Or if is rubbish, it is rubish, despite the logo on the steering wheel. That's a very very important caracter of the show.

Top Gear (still) RULEZ. The same resepy, the same people, the same show and it's still in the same league (8-10). This episode get's from me a worthy 9. A 10 it's allmoust impossible. But the all crew gets a 10+ from me. And for that, because i'm in a melancoly state of mind, this episode i give it a rare 10.

Thank you for your time reading this, and excuse me for my bad english...
On an empty airfield, with even the signage removed there isn't much danger. As you can see with his spin as well. He applied a bit oposite lock, but then just sat there with the middle pedal planted and waited for it to stop. Many people here, myself included, have had worse moments on track. We didn't even get paid ;) They select themselves how much risk they take and are paid plenty for it. It was absolutely pouring with rain and a lot of standing water on the runway. It's weird that he was even surprised that the car spun out at 200+ kph...

No, there are a lot of us on this site that don't watch it. I'd go as far as to say it's probably the least liked segment on the show.
I love it. Depends on the guest of course, but it's often very good. TG asks a lot of questions to celebrities that are never asked in other inteviews.

Last edited: