[21x06] March 9th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickgeorge25

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
6/7. The first of a two-part programme in which Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are challenged to build a bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand. In order to do that, however, they have to drive across Burma, a country that has been largely closed to Westerners for more than 40 years, and must make the trip in three lorries, each bought sight unseen from the internet on a limited budget. What follows is an epic journey of beautiful scenery, regular adversity, ongoing malfunction and the constant bickering of the three men.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cthdkv/top-gear--series-21---6-top-gear-burma-special

Last edited:
I do hope they get this one right. India and the Africa 2 parter were pretty shocking. I am bracing myself for cringey scripted fail/shitty sight gags/appalling "acting" peppered with some thinly veiled racism. If they can just do a proper and epic road trip then it should be good.

Yep, just the kind of shite I was expecting.

If it's just a bit of stupidness and they really show how life for those truckers is, this could become a _great_ special...

Yeah but based on the preview I wouldn't be placing too many bets on that.

So we know that Hammond is going to be triply-annoyed by the foreign country, the foreign food AND references to old war movies which Clarkson and May will be sure to drop in constantly.

Oh, and the bridge will be blown up at the end.

Last edited:
I do hope they get this one right. India and the Africa 2 parter were pretty shocking. I am bracing myself for cringey scripted fail/shitty sight gags/appalling "acting" peppered with some thinly veiled racism. If they can just do a proper and epic road trip then it should be good.

I do hope you will write into the Guardian to complain about their "racism":rolleyes:.

Because you can totally judge 2 hours of tv from a 20 second trailer :)

Aren't Jezza shooting his load all over the road halfway through and Hammond doing his annoying shriek enough of a giveaway for you?

Probably. Don?t expect high quality here. Maybe I expect too much, or Bolivia was just that good. And Polar Special. And Botswana.

Bolivia was lame.

Bolivia was lame.

Really? You said at the time you loved it.

Anyhoo, I agree the trailer doesn't look promising, but I'm still looking forward to it. This series has been better than the last overall, so maybe it'll be OK.

Call me crazy, but I am not watching this, this week. I'm waiting until the week after and watching it just before part 2.

Aren't Jezza shooting his load all over the road halfway through and Hammond doing his annoying shriek enough of a giveaway for you?

No actually, I simply choose to look forward to it, and be positive about it, instead of being miserable in advance :)

Sorry, but Bolivia was just awesome :)
But everybody prefers something different.
Botswana was the best though, I have to admit.

I feel like I'll enjoy this one more for the glimpse into Burmese life than the actual road trip. Hope to be proven wrong though. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.