[21x06] March 9th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 1]

[21x06] March 9th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 1]

• Total voters
This has to be one of the largest disappointments of the specials. Horrible...not looking forward to tonight's second part. This whole season has been horrible.

I've personally quite enjoyed this season and Part 1 of the special was not half bad. I'm actually looking forward to seeing tonight installment.

Very interesting link. It says that they spent 8 weeks in "pre-production" and then they went everywhere in a 12 car convoy with over 40 people, so I would bet a large amount of money that they never ever actually take a "wrong turn" or walk into random hotels hoping to make a reservation. Jeremy's "shortcuts" were almost certainly planned from the start, which was fine considering the "real" road from Yangon to Naypyidaw was just a boring highway.

Furthermore, Clarkson on Twitter posted two pictures of different horses in the days leading up to leaving for Burma, so I am quite sure their "accidental" shortcut diesel adventure was planned as well. Still great TV, though. Sometimes it's unpleasantly obvious that they're faking it but this seemed much more real.

(...)I think the vast majority of this site is in the first group. Take a look at the ratings for the India special. Pretty much everyone hated it and yet most of the scores were still 7 or higher. I'm in the second group though.
It probably is. Screws with the rating even more. Rating X against Y is kind of useless, but anyway if most people want to do that... I don't watch other television, so I can't possibly rate TG against anything else than other TG ;)

I agree that as long as the scripting is funny, I'm fine with it. That said, the India special was painfully cringeworthy in parts.

This was up there with the other specials. I don't think they'll ever top Botswana (my personal favorite) or North Pole, but this was prob as good as the rest. Iain May and his colleagues do an unbelievable job with the camera work. Also the funniest bit (with the little horses) was clearly unscripted, but you can't tell your employees "Go the hell way out to the asshole of the world and be hilarious." That's not how it works, and the "scripted" complainers are being terribly unfair, IMO.

Also, what am I missing about the teddy bear? I don't know why that was funny.

Could it be "Hammond was more subdued" because of (a) the circumstances of his part of the challenge, or, perhaps more importantly, (b) he was still deep in recovery from an accident only a few months earlier where he'd almost died?

Wait what accident?

I'd love to have an answer on that aswell ..

If you google "Richard Hammond crash" you'll get about a million hits. Hard to believe anyone here doesn't know about it.

Yeah. From season 9. I know of that. But he wrote "he was still deep in recovery from an accident only a few months earlier where he'd almost died?"

[EDIT] Ouuhps, is OP indeed talking about S9? Yes he is. My fault

Last edited:
I do hope that if the day should ever come to pass where Top Gear is over, that one or more of the presenters will write a serious memoir and tell us about all the travails and technical aspects of the epic road trips.

I know it's not something they wish to share now, but these are the type of things I think many of us would find fascinating.

I enjoyed it, however, the Tesco bit was lost on me, as I live in America, but James being on the horse and his...predicament...hilarious

I do hope ... one or more of the presenters will write a serious memoir and tell us about all the travails and technical aspects of the epic road trips.

You wouldn't get much information on the technical and logistical aspects from the presenters' memoirs - in these specials they're actors pampered through the elements.

The real grunt work is done unsung behind the scenes by hard-working consultants (like Arctic Trucks and Wild Trackers): route planning and recce trips, story and content suggestions, extensive hero vehicle preparation before filming starts, constant maintenance day and night during filming to keep the vehicles going despite the abuse from the presenters.

It looks like Jeremy's sacks of 'heroin' went missing between loading it into the truck and when he empties his load on the mountain road, blocking the other two. Maybe he sold it for ?12 million?

Also I liked the foreshadowing by the editor in the river crossing scene, James saying "something is stuck, it will break the front axle off". Well, the front axle did in fact break in Part 2.

Can someone explain the part about heroin and peas?

The one where hammond says ,"Are you going to cut it with peas?"

couldn't even find anything about that on google