[21x06] March 9th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 1]

[21x06] March 9th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 1]

• Total voters
As a liker of teddy bears I wasn't happy to see one misused. The preview for Part 2 looks like it will suffer even worse.

And no, I don't give a damn if anyone here thinks I am a woose for liking teddy bears.

I'm suprised this is getting rated as high as it is since IMO this is easily the worst special they've done since India.

I'm with you! This was worse than India. Why? Well, the India special was excruciating in places, but this was just plain boring. I found myself losing interest, and a quick rewatch confirms that there were no key memorable moments (India at least had the hilltop conversation about the next special being along the French Riviera, which was true, unscripted TG boys' humour).

Everything had pretty much been done before. They are even glossing over the formulaic bits now (the 'modifications' just happen in one cut, the 'running' jokes don't even run for very long).

It was never more obvious that this was a Jeremy and Wilman travelogue written around the TG format rather than a proper road-trip.

Hoping part 2 gets better, but I'm getting the feeling the bridge building will just be a poor parody of the 4x4s across South America opener (already parodied in the Nile/Estate car river crossing).

Almost forgot to mention the horses bit. That's the funniest couple of minutes TG has produced in a long, long time.

For the first time watching an episode of Top Gear since - well in a long time - I was actually in pain laughing so hard at this bit. The whole thing was great and can't wait for part two.

So Clarkson has watched Iceroad Truckers and image those teeth haunt me for the rest of my life.

7/10

Those god damn teeth. Had to stop eating my meal for couple of minutes there.
Episode as a whole was quite mediocre.

7/10

I'm hopeful that the second part can be great. Jeremy at least on twitter straight out said that first part was ok, but second will be amazing.

Last edited:
I was expecting a disaster based on the marketing materials, but got a good TV instead. Part of it was the views, certainly

Anyone notice it's actually Thai plates on those trucks? (Less sure about May's truck, but Hammond and Clarkson's trucks most definitely are Thai registered. So they bought them in Thailand and then shipped them over I guess.

Last edited:
What power - just to wake up one day and say "Right you lot we are driving on the other side of the road from now on." ... Awesome not even Hitler tried that one. Oh I forgot, Napoleon did - dag nabbit.

My previous favorite episode was the Bolivian special. I didn't expect the guys to do such a great special and I didn't expect to have a new favorite episode. Living in Asia (Korea), I think that maybe someday I'll visit that place. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Was pretty good for the most part, really enjoyed it.

Just that running gag of James' crane "accidentally" hooking up to the other trucks etc. was so bad I almost couldn't watch it...

probably not going to be as good as the vietnam or bolivia specials, but I will say it's all ready better than the africa special from last year.....hope they can keep it up w/ the 2nd half.

From the preview I'm guessing they are going to be doing a "bridge on the river kwai" type challenge next week

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that in the beginning of this show...

Booooooring.

And what bugs me most: They, including a professional camera crew, have the opportunity to do a roadtrip in a country with - to European eyes at least- unusual and amazing landscape, and yet they show none of that, instead wasting valuable air time with things like getting big lorries stuck in narrow streets. Them playing dumb is just not funny anymore.

What power - just to wake up one day and say "Right you lot we are driving on the other side of the road from now on." ... Awesome not even Hitler tried that one. Oh I forgot, Napoleon did - dag nabbit.
Hitler DID it - in Czechoslovakia, until 1939, the people drove on the left.

Meh, dunno. All the good specials they're trying to prove something, what are they trying to prove here?

a 7 because there's no stupid nonsense happening, much.

I enjoyed it- although like a few others said, it took a while to get going. The scripted-fail of the narrow streets was a bit cringeworthy, but the second half was great, and the horse section was hilarious.
One obvious scripted-fail I didn't see mentioned- their first overnight stop in that awful run down building was apparently where the producers had arranged for them to stay the night... ok, but next morning we find out they got "lost" and are miles away on the wrong road. How does that work?