[21x06] March 9th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 1]

[21x06] March 9th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 1]

• Total voters
Maybe... I still think that going the wrong way was in the script all along. Not that it's any worse for it, I should add - still entertaining :)

Oh of course. I'm sure they had GPS.

Reading the first comments I was afraid it would be a really bad episode, but IMHO it wasn't. Obviously it isn't the best of the specials, but far away from the worst, too.

Yes, there were some (many) obviously scripted "mishaps", but the scenery sort of made it up.

A middle-of-the-road 6 from me.

Maybe... I still think that going the wrong way was in the script all along. Not that it's any worse for it, I should add - still entertaining :)

The real question is WHO GIVES A FUCK! Just enjopy the damn show and dont go looking for "scripted moments". Why must people keep doing this?

Possibly the hero of the episode.

I want to hear all of James's "lectures" since Series 2 :( ... Put 'em in a DVD, NOW.

8/10

Last edited:
That was the best special ever !!! ...

If people think I'm sarcastic, then they are right. That was awefull ... Even worse than the India special :? The beginning just killed everything ...

I thought this episode was really impressive. Those guys really work their asses off to make the show, and it was definitely apparent here. Jeremy said he was 'wasted' after driving the McLaren SLR to Oslo, but that was nothing compared to the kind of iron man drives they do now.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh of course. I'm sure they had GPS.

Yeah I'm sure James did not 'accidentally' lead them the wrong way, but I thought it was interesting that Jeremy said James suggested they go all the way back and start over. Do you think that was just a joke?

I'm actually wondering if they truly drive the trucks themselves *all the way*. Or instead just a couple hours to get the shots and go through the script, then back in one of the support vehicles. Note that from Rangoon to the border with Northern Thailand is 1200 km. And that on those roads in those trucks you're doing really well if you make an average of 40 km/h. On those often winding and steep roads I only do 60km/h in a car.

And by the way, this route is definitely scenic but it would make a whole lot more sense to not go all the way North but instead cross for example at Mae Sod into Thailand. That's really the obvious road to take. (But, of course, less scenic, opportunity for fun stuff, etc.) Not to mention that it would become a Thailand special, not a Burma special; it's just a quick 5 hours to the Thai border, after which it's easy cruising. ;)

As for having left hand drive, new cars of course have left hand drive. The Toyota van that took Hammond to hospital most certainly was left hand drive.

Their trucks, of course, are right hand drive as they were bought in THAILAND. They have Thai plates on them. I guess it was easier to enter (back) into Thailand with Thai registered vehicles as opposed to getting a genuine Burmese truck in.

Last edited:
The real question is WHO GIVES A FUCK! Just enjopy the damn show and dont go looking for "scripted moments". Why must people keep doing this?

+1

I very much laughed for a good deal of the episode....just mates mucking around having an awesome adventure.......those that bitch and moan about "scriped" moments are actually ruing it for themselves.....just watch it on face value and enjoy!

James on the horse going "ow ow ow ow ow" had me in stitches....I know how exactly how he feels! :lol:

Last edited:
I thought this episode was really impressive. Those guys really work their asses off to make the show, and it was definitely apparent here. Jeremy said he was 'wasted' after driving the McLaren SLR to Oslo, but that was nothing compared to the kind of iron man drives they do now.
I would have given up after a day I think. How do they do that?

And does May really repair his lorry by himself?

^ I think it would be quite the eye opener if we got to see just how many people and vehicles are involved in keeping the circus going. Not too different an operation from shooting a movie really.

It is amazing how this season they are able to cock about and still be perfectly entertaining. I should be bored by this episode, and yet I'm not. I can't wait for next week!

7/10

James getting "angry" at Jeremy is lame-o!

Seeing the three on horseback was great.
Otherwise, this feels like an extension of the mediocre Africa Special.

Africa Special part 3: Burma Edition

I liked it! I gave it a 9 which is way too generous because all they did was just follow the step by step Topgear special formula, but I liked the trucks and the scenery and I didn't cringe too much at the fakery. The worst part for me was when they were driving down that narrow street, like they couldn't have just stopped and backed out when they went around the corner and saw the street was too narrow, and found a wider street. I was heavily medicated and fell asleep and missed the end, so I will have to go back and watch the rest later. I recommend taking some medication first to enhance enjoyment of Topgear.

Last edited:
The best way to watch the Specials:

-beer
-watch part 1 as it releases
-watch part 2 as it releases
-watch parts 1 & 2 back-to-back
-review

I really liked it.

I was genuinely afraid for them a few times, but the horses at the end made me just die laughing. And poor Richards wrist. At least it was better than James concussion'

Lastly..Jeremy...do you ever brush your teeth!? How does your wife kiss you????

Despite the absolutely dreadful "mishaps" and the now quite tiresome running gags (and I agree with a few others - Clarkson isn't that dumb, so why do we still have to pretend that he is? Then again, May would have enough sense not to "navigate" them onto the narrowest alley in the whole city, right?) - I found myself really enjoying this one, even though so far it clearly isn't one of the best.

Was Richard purposedly dressed as one of the members of Village People? I'm surprised the others didn't say anything about it.

And does May really repair his lorry by himself?

I doubt it. Just like I doubt they actually stay overnight in those shabby places their "producers" always pick for them (despite the disheveled morning-after looks).

James on the horse going "ow ow ow ow ow" had me in stitches...:

Me too. As did the part when their horses collided - because it seemed so funny and real.

Last edited:
I'm kind of disappointed by them playing to their stupid tv personalities again (and to such an extend). I know much of the entertainment comes from seeing them struggle, but at least for me it would be more fun if they had a "real" challenge instead of making life intentionally difficult by pretending to be stupid. By no means was it a bad episode, but for me at least it lacked greatness.