[21x07] March 16th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 2]

[21x07] March 16th, 2014 [Burma Special, Part 2]

• Total voters
very true about SD, maybe some people just have extraordinarily slow internet connections. even with a 2 Mbit/s download the 720 version wouldn't take more than 2 hours, which i think is worth the wait.

Good episode, and a good way to end the series. Some scripted bits like the River Cock and the fake piss but nothing too bad.

8/10 from me.

very true about SD, maybe some people just have extraordinarily slow internet connections. even with a 2 Mbit/s download the 720 version wouldn't take more than 2 hours, which i think is worth the wait.

That's nice to know. I have every episode downloaded since its revamp back in 2002 and get the SD purely for the smaller file size but I shall see about getting the 720 for this one.

Last edited:
It's River Khong, which is not even close to Cock. But the Marrow really is called... that, and I knew that they were going to make that joke since the first part.

Was going to give it an 8, not terrible, not that great either. But seeing all the recognizable things, I bumped it up to 9.

EDIT: I forgot to say, even though those trucks looks like some old crocks, they do worth some cash, similar or worse condition trucks goes for around $10,000 or more in Thailand.

Last edited:
Epic adventure, got a bit silly in some places but that was expected.
Glad to see they made it over the bridge and that it didn't catch on fire or something like that.

So, how long did they actually spend on the bridge-building site? Somehow, I can't quite buy they spent 50 consecutive days there for about two minutes of film...

Decent episode, but couple stupid jokes/scripted things drops the score by 1 so 7/10

Enjoyable overall, though I didn't for a minute buy that they had built that bridge, a few locals to help or not- that was clearly quite the major construction and I'd bet, a damn sight stronger than we were led to believe. The fake pissing was a shame, too.

Some good humour and some beautiful scenery though, shot brilliantly well as always.

Great episode! I especially enjoyed the references to the great movie Apocalypse Now, MAY: "I spoke to Colonel Kurtz, he was in vegetables." haha love it! Another great Top Gear!!

Reactions: Oso
Well that was interesting. Jeremy was hyping part 2 for weeks but I actually think part 1 was better television. It seems like from his point of view building the bridge was one of the show's greatest achievements, but sometimes the final product on TV doesn't quite match the presenters' experience on the ground. I remember Jeremy was gaga over the Veyron vs Cessna race but it isn't actually that exciting to watch--I felt like that sometimes here, where you just figured the bridge would work eventually and then the show would be over, and so it was. Don't get me wrong, definitely great television, but I think part 1 had more 'real' little moments that make TG so great (ow ow ow ow ow ow ow). I was also expecting a bit more from that party in the Shan...

This special was like a burnt pierog - rough at the edges, but delicious at the middle. If they cutted the start of the first episode and the bridge-building (that reminded me of Top Ground Gear Force) and put everything in the middle in one 1.30h special, that would be a solid 10.

It's River Khong, which is not even close to Cock. But the Marrow really is called... that, and I knew that they were going to make that joke since the first part.

Was going to give it an 8, not terrible, not that great either. But seeing all the recognizable things, I bumped it up to 9.

EDIT: I forgot to say, even though those trucks looks like some old crocks, they do worth some cash, similar or worse condition trucks goes for around $10,000 or more in Thailand.

Actually its called Kok. If you simply take the info that we were given in the show (the map) and look up a...map...you would have found it. Took me about 30 seconds. Once again, a "fan" has decided that he/she loves the show so much that they shall dissect it for perfection.

anyways, 9/10 from me, i actually liked last weeks better but this was still fun.

It was an enjoyable episode. Burma isn't quite as good as the best specials, but it's not at all bad. All and all, a good end to the best season in quite some time.

I think they've pretty well done the "buy some cheap local bucket and drive around in it" thing to death at this point.

I much prefer the cheap banger adventures to the supercar road trips.

A solid finish to one of the more solid series in a while. As always, some moments that were not necessarily so believable (the golden shower bit...why is it this was the only time we got to hear Hammond's 'in-stall' commentary?) and I didn't think Hammond's truck was going to make it over the bridge without taking down some of the overhead structure, but still enjoyable. Better than India, for sure.

Ya sure about that? I mean, I checked on google maps and there are so many little rivers and tributaries, it could be any of them, I see a river Koht, a Kom, one of them is called "Mae Sai" which in portuguese means "Mom, get out!" :D

<edit> Didn't see DubyaStep had pointed the right one already</edit>

Anyway I liked it, not a perfect 10, sure scripted moments, and we all realize these 3 couldn't build anything by themselves, but all the rest is there, great views, genuine cockups (don't tell me that crane fell on command), and the guys having a laugh.

Last edited:
Ahh well, I was in a hurry, I didn't really check, sorry.