22 dead in Va. Tech shooting rampage

What a nice country this america...

Please take your sophmoric comments and gtfo.

Anyways, just got this from the Pres (blackboard is slow):

John Johnson said:
Speaking for all of us at Embry-Riddle, we extend our deepest sympathies to the university, the community, and the families who experienced the terrible tragedy today on the campus of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. As most of you likely know by now, as many as 33 people died, and many more were wounded, when a gunman opened fire early this morning in a classroom and in a dormitory. This ?tragedy of monumental proportions,? as Virginia Tech President Charles Steger calls it, has left the university and the nation shocked by the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.

Virginia Tech has 26,000 students.

The Counseling Center at Embry-Riddle will be staffed all day tomorrow for anyone wishing to use this service. Any student who would like to speak with a counselor may do so on a walk-in basis. The center is located in Building 20 across from Doolittle Hall at the corner of Clyde Morris and Richard Petty boulevards.

Again, our hearts go out to all the victims of this tragedy.

Regards,
President John P. Johnson
DB Chancellor Tom Connolly

I have to agree with more gun control laws. If this killer has to buy everything (the guns and ammos) illegally, he probably wouldn't have bought two guns, and he probably wouldn't be able to get as much ammo as he did. So the casualty would've been less.

you have got to be fucking joking

double that. If everyone has a gun, and the first one starts shooting, a second one will, but the third one couldn?t say who is the original shooter, so he would start shooting at both, now a fourth one joins in aso.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooter just IDed as Cho Seung-Hui. He was a resident American (Korean living here on a student green card).

Is it true that he was looking for his GF to kill her? And why?

Is it true that he was looking for his GF to kill her? And why?

He was having a figth with her gf and then shot her. Then went looking for her ex-gf guns blazing. As according to a taiwanese tv-station.

double that. If everyone has a gun, and the first one starts shooting, a second one will, but the third one couldn?t say who is the original shooter, so he would start shooting at both, now a fourth one joins in aso.

Then the cops and swat team would just have to open fire on anyone armed.

Norris Hall gunman identified

Posted 9:15 a.m., April 17, 2007

The Virginia Tech Police Department has confirmed the identification of the gunman responsible for the multiple fatalities at Norris Hall on the Virginia Tech campus Monday, April 16, 2007.

The individual has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23. Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech. Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va. Cho was living on campus in Harper Residence Hall.

A 9-milimeter handgun and 22-caliber handgun were recovered from Norris Hall. Ballistic tests on the evidence seized from the Norris Hall and the West Ambler Johnston Residence Hall scenes were conducted at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) lab in Maryland. Lab results confirmed that one of the two weapons seized in Norris Hall was used in both shootings.

?At this time, the evidence does not conclusively identify Cho Seung-Hui as the gunman at both locations,? said Colonel W. Steven Flaherty, Superintendent of the Virginia State Police. ?With this newfound ballistics evidence, we are now able to proceed to the next level of this complex investigation.?

State, local and federal investigators spent the night collecting, processing and analyzing evidence from within Norris Hall. The deceased were recovered from at least four classrooms on the second floor and a stairwell of Norris Hall. The gunman, who took his life, was discovered by police in a classroom among the victims.

All of the deceased have been transported to the Medical Examiner?s Office in Roanoke for examination and identification.

The names of the 32 deceased students and faculty will be released once all victims are positively identified and next of kin notified.

The Virginia Tech Police Department, Blacksburg Police Department, Montgomery County Sheriff?s Office, Virginia State Police, FBI, ATF and multiple other state and local agencies are all involved in the ongoing investigation at both Norris Hall and West Ambler Johnston Hall.

:cry: R.I.P to those who passed away and my condoleances to the relatives.

I can not express how hard it is for me to avoid laying the beatdown on all you political soap-boxers right now.

Seriously, shut the hell up about gun control and take it to the appropriate thread. I'm up for the debate but I'm not going to do it here; this thread is to remember the dead and share our condolences with their friends and family.

You bunch of vultures are no better than the Westboro Baptist Church that protests funerals for political gain.

Changing gears for a moment: This story recently came to my attention.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/122137

Slain Israeli Professor Saved Others in Va. Tech Massacre

by Gil Ronen

(IsraelNN.com) As Israel observed Holocaust Day, thousands of miles away, A Rumanian-born Holocaust survivor gave his life in another senseless murder - and apparently in an act of heroism.

Among the 32 people killed by a lone gunman at Virginia Tech Monday is 77-year-old engineering professor, Liviu Librescu, a citizen of Israel. According to eyewitness accounts, Librescu ran to the door of his classroom and blocked it with his body ? preventing the gunman from entering but getting shot to death himself as a result.

Alec Calhoun, a 20-year-old student who had been in Librescu's class in room 204, told a reporter that at 9:05 a.m. the heard screams and a loud banging sound from the next-door classroom. When the students realized it was gunfire, he said, some hid behind tables, and others leapt from the classroom's windows. Calhoun himself was among the last to jump. "Before I jumped from the window, I turned around and looked at the professor, who stayed behind, maybe to block the door. He had been killed."

Librescu is survived by his wife of 42 years, Marlena, who was with him in Virginia, and sons Aryeh and Joe who are in Israel. They intend to bury him in Israel.

Asael Arad, an Israeli student who visited the widow after the tragedy, told Army Radio Tuesday that Marlena had been receiving e-mails from students who credited Prof. Librescu with saving their lives. "I lost my best friend," the widow told a reporter for NRG at her home near the Blacksburg campus. "He was a great person, who loved teaching more than anything." Marlena said someone had initially informed her that her husband was injured in the shooting. "I looked for him in the hospitals all day but I didn't find him," she said.

The Librescus are Rumanian Jews who came on aliyah (immigrated to Israel) in 1978 ? after then-Prime Minister Begin interceded on their behalf with the Rumanian government, according to Marlena. The couple went on a sabbatical to the United States since 1986 and has been living there ever since.

Last edited:
New info on the note he left:

Sources: College gunman left note

By Aamer Madhani
Tribune national correspondent
Published April 17, 2007, 10:48 AM CDT

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- The suspected gunman in the Virginia Tech shooting rampage, Cho Seung-Hui, was a troubled 23-year-old senior from South Korea who investigators believe left an invective-filled note in his dorm room, sources say.

The note included a rambling list of grievances, according to sources. They said Cho also died with the words "Ismail Ax" in red ink on the inside of one of his arms.

Cho had shown recent signs of violent, aberrant behavior, according to an investigative source, including setting a fire in a dorm room and allegedly stalking some women.

A note believed to have been written by Cho was found in his dorm room that railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.

The English major from Centreville, Va., a rapidly growing suburb of Washington, D.C., came to the United States in 1992, an investigative source said. He was a legal permanent resident.

His family runs a dry cleaning business and he has a sister who graduated from Princeton University, according to the source.

Investigators believe Cho at some point had been taking medication for depression. They are examining Cho's computer for more evidence.

The gunman's family lived in an off-white, two-story town house in Centreville.

"He was very quiet, always by himself," neighbor Abdul Shash said of the gunman. Shash said the gunman spent a lot of his free time playing basketball, and wouldn't respond if someone greeted him. He described the family as quiet.

Marshall Main, who lives across the street, said the family had lived in the townhouse for several years.

According to court records, Virginia Tech Police issued a speeding ticket to Cho on April 7 for going 44 mph in a 25 mph zone, and he had a court date set for May 23.

Cho was found among the 31 dead found in an engineering hall. Police said the victims laid over four classrooms and a stairwell.

"He was a loner," said Larry Hincker, a university spokesman, who added that investigators are having some difficulty unearthing information about him.

A law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho was carrying a backpack that contained receipts for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol.

Ballistics tests by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms showed that one gun was used in Monday's two separate campus attacks that were two hours apart.

As a permanent legal resident of the United States, Cho was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of any felony criminal charges, a federal immigration official said.

Police said Cho killed 30 people in a Virginia Tech engineering building Monday morning and then killed himself.

Another two students were shot to death two hours earlier in a dorm room on the opposite side of the university's sprawling 2,600-acre campus, bringing the day's death toll to 33.

Students at Harper Hall, the campus dormitory where Cho lived, said they had little interaction with him and no insight into what might have motivated the attack.

Timothy Johnson, a student from Annandale, Va., said people would say hello to Cho in passing, but nobody knew him well.

People are pretty upset," Johnson said. "He's a monster; he can't be normal. I can't believe I said 'hi' to him in the hall and then he killed all those people."

Officials said the same gun was used in the attack in the dorm room and the larger-scale classroom killings.

"At this time, the evidence does not conclusively identify Cho as the gunman at both locations," said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police.

The new details were revealed as the university readied itself for a day of mourning. A convocation is set for today, which President Bush and First Lady Laura Bush said they would attend, and thousands of students and Blacksburg residents are expected to come together later in the day for a candlelight vigil.

All classes at Virginia Tech will be closed for the remainder of the week, said school President Charles Steger.

Some victims' names released

Among the dead were professors Liviu Librescu and Kevin Granata and G.V. Longanathan, 51, a civil and environmental engineering professor.

Ryan Clark, 22, of Martinez, Ga., biology and English major, was one of the students killed in the dormitory, according to the Columbia County coroner's office.

Students who were in Librescu's engineering class at Norris Hall told the Tribune late Monday that the professor tried to protect the students in his class when they realized a gunmen was loose in the building.

Alec Calhoun was in Librescu's solid mechanics engineering class when gunfire erupted in the room next door. He said Librescu, went to the door and pushed himself against it in case the shooter tried to come in.

Librescu, an Israeli, was born in Romania and was known internationally for his research in aeronautical engineering.

Fifteen victims, including three who originally were listed in critical condition, were listed in stable or good condition and two remained in critical condition, wire services reported.

He was on anti-depressants? Interesting. I wonder if he was also in therapy. Therapy and anti-depressants are the best treatment for depression, although he could be on the meds for other reasons - like smoking cessation. I also wonder how long he was on the meds. In some rare cases suicidal and homicidal ideation is a side effect of some SSRIs; it's usually reported more in teens but sometimes in young adults too.

I can not express how hard it is for me to avoid laying the beatdown on all you political soap-boxers right now.

Seriously, shut the hell up about gun control and take it to the appropriate thread. I'm up for the debate but I'm not going to do it here; this thread is to remember the dead and share our condolences with their friends and family.

You bunch of vultures are no better than the Westboro Baptist Church that protests funerals for political gain.

Seriously, didn't you bring it up?

Anyway...that Professor sounds like quite a hero, and his backstory is really interesting also.

I brought it up early on because I thought that was the direction the thread was going. As soon as I realized that was not the intention of this thread I shut up. However, I didn't go edit my previous post because that would be a sneaky underhanded thing to do.