[22x00b] December 28th, 2014 [Patagonia Special, Part 2]

[22x00b] December 28th, 2014 [Patagonia Special, Part 2]

• Total voters
Ugh here we go with TG Comedy.
Poor James, always getting injured.
My god, this is soo boring.

Last edited:
Did you tune into the India Special on Dave by mistake?

Stunning visuals and somehow it felt more honest than some of their recent efforts. Shame a bunch of mindless idiots in search of their 15 minutes had to detract from the ending. I would like to have seen a bit of car football and camaraderie between the TG guys and the locals.

I think they could've just condensed into one 90 min special because some of the parts could have been easily cut out and made not so much of a stretch, but I guess they wanted to put some substance into the 1600 mile journey (or the fact that two part things are the go these days).

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it especially with the scenery. That end though, holy shit.

Definitely could've been stronger as a single parter, for sure.

Objectively speaking, it was easily one of the stronger specials they've done, but I dunno... either I'm becoming too miserable or the Top Gear formula's lost its luster. (probably both) They've been at it for too long now, it feels like it's been stuck in the same groove for too many years. I'm also wondering if it's the right time for the show to bow out. (The hypercar three-way would make a perfect finale, come to think of it...)

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed it, a solid episode (both parts that is), nothing really groan inducing, and I didn't check my watch at all. Best couple of hours of telly I've seen this week, and that for me is very good.

The ending was remarkable too. Except the final scene, would have liked the documentary style to continue to see how the boys left the country.

It was alright for a special a bit boring. Yes the views were great and a nice river crossing. But I can't get rid of the feeling, that they have been drawn to this ending - like with the red necks a few series ago.

Could have been a one-parter.

I don't know whether it was the headline-making spoilers or having all the other specials on Dave and BBC THREE over the Christmas week, but it was strange to watch. As someone said in the Part 1 thread, it felt like it was reprising every stunt from every special to draw a line under them, from cows on roofs to rewired horns. It definitely felt like the beginning of the end.

really boring....same gags time after time....so dumbed down now....can't they pointlessly kill something less good than a 928/esprit/mustang?

Well, I liked it. The scenery was magnificent. And...poor James! Yeah, it could have been a 1 parter, but..it is what it is. :) I gave it an 8.

Like others, I think a 90 or even 75 minute single episode would have worked better, although at least we only had to wait a day rather than a week.

I quite liked it, and at least it was short of TG Comedy? but I did find the thing dragged on a little bit. I think after so many specials the ideas have worn thin, and whilst the scenery was amazing I couldn't help but feel that location aside this could have been cut and pasted from all of the previous specials. Even if car football had been included, we've seen enough variants of that idea before and I don't think that would have helped. I think the whole concept of the specials needs a rethink and refresh.

It was alright for a special a bit boring. Yes the views were great and a nice river crossing. But I can't get rid of the feeling, that they have been drawn to this ending - like with the red necks a few series ago.

They obviously knew that tensions would be high in Ushuaia, but I think they underestimated the impact of the numberplate. If Clarkson's Porsche had a different number than none of the mob stuff would have happened.

(Edited to remove double post)

Last edited:
It wasn't as good as the first part. And according to an interview (Absolute Radio) that you can find on YouTube with James May, it appears that the stars, 2 women and a few others may have left quite early on to the airport and departed for Buenos Aires in relative safety. It was the remainder of the crew, some 31 people, that bore the grunt of the attack, the pelleting with stones and eggs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=4Rkw_N9pNms&v=ZrHrzdNKj_4

Last edited:
They obviously knew that tensions would be high in Ushuaia, but I think they underestimated the impact of the numberplate. If Clarkson's Porsche had a different number than none of the mob stuff would have happened.

That's the number plate the car was sold with in the UK in the first place....

If Clarkson's Porsche had a different number than none of the mob stuff would have happened.

Believe me, if Clarkson would had a different number plate, the mob would have find something else to complain about...

Any way I liked both episodes very much. I enjoyed them a lot.

Low points: repeted jokes like the cow in the roof...

But a over all good epispodes.

Cheers

Maybe they showed so few locals to protect them from retributions, for fraternizing with the enemy.

Boring compared to the first half, amazingly. Fairly annoying and predictable car destruction-- with actually good cars for once. I suppose it's something of a tribute to just what kind of a beating a well made car can take, but still. They could have found a more dignified end to that Esprit than bolting a bloody trailer hitch to it.

The scary men with rocks bit was idiotic. 20 minutes of shaky hand-held shots out a hotel window of three or four locals? Generally incompetent local cops bested only by generally incompetent TG security people who couldn't deal with a couple dozen morons with rocks and sticks? And then endless blathering about how anyone was remotely in danger? Please.

All in all it was a good show with beautiful scenery and excellent cinematography-- if they'd just leave it at that without trying to engineer obviously fake "danger" elements, it'd be more enjoyable. It was campy ten years ago when they were sticking cows on the roof of a car. Doing what amounts to the same damn thing over and over again is just stupid.