[22x00b] December 28th, 2014 [Patagonia Special, Part 2]

[22x00b] December 28th, 2014 [Patagonia Special, Part 2]

• Total voters
The more interesting scenes are quick-cuts, while the boring stuff kinda drags.
That's how i felt.

The older Specials felt more like a documentary than these newer ones do, if that makes sense.

It deserves an 8.5 for effort, but 7 for execution and lack of hilarious banter/hijinks.

I've purposely stayed away from everything TopGear for about a year so I could get a renewed interest. I'm both amazed and utterly crushed at the same time.

The good:
1. The cars were brilliant and I loved all three. The Lotus was such a fighter, I would call that the winner.
2. Scenery was as usual absolutely brilliant. I love seeing places I will never visit in my lifetime in HD.
3. A few funny moments, and I did laugh out loud on some of them.

The bad:
1. Boring.
2. Same old gags.
3. These three look "tired" and it feels like they are forcing it.
4. I am growing tired of TG (UK or US) destroying rare or nice older cars. I really do not like this.
5. Lastly, seems like the bigger the show got the more watered down and bland it is.

I guess we will have the first 12~14 or so series to enjoy. Ugh, I'm so disappointed but not really surprised. I better archive the older episodes while I can.

I've purposely stayed away from everything TopGear for about a year so I could get a renewed interest. I'm both amazed and utterly crushed at the same time.

The good:
1. The cars were brilliant and I loved all three. The Lotus was such a fighter, I would call that the winner.
2. Scenery was as usual absolutely brilliant. I love seeing places I will never visit in my lifetime in HD.
3. A few funny moments, and I did laugh out loud on some of them.

The bad:
1. Boring.
2. Same old gags.
3. These three look "tired" and it feels like they are forcing it.
4. I am growing tired of TG (UK or US) destroying rare or nice older cars. I really do not like this.
5. Lastly, seems like the bigger the show got the more watered down and bland it is.

I guess we will have the first 12~14 or so series to enjoy. Ugh, I'm so disappointed but not really surprised. I better archive the older episodes while I can.

Not only I agree with everything you say but also lately I started downloading Fifth Gear episodes from their last 3 seasons(the ones I could find) and I am enjoying them a lot especially in comparison to TG. I guess I am also taking some time out from TG in order to renew my interest in it. Watching 5th Gear now makes me more interested in the more serious reviews and true top notch drivers such as Tiff and Jason. Even the less interesting stuff by Johnny is becoming interesting to me. I hope that this new season of TG doesn't spoil it for me altogether now.

- - - Updated - - -

To me, the best TG specials are still the Bolivia/Chile and the Vietnam ones, followed by the 2 part African special. The North Pole special was nice too.

My own opinion:

First part: 1. They should have admitted that the trip to Butch's cabin was simply "workups," trying to find the bugs in the cars. 2. That Lotus was a genuine surprise. 3. I sort of see why Jeremy wanted to keep the Porsche intact; it does show some evolution in his thinking since the show began.
Second part: 1. Got a little self-referential about bridges and inclines (no, no -- can't use that word). 2. Sure the horses were planned, but I don't think James' injury was -- while it didn't look as serious as the one in the Middle East special, it still looked pretty painful. 3. The penultimate bit, with the crew -- yeah, that did the Argentines no favours, and since we haven't heard a peep from the ambassador since it aired, I think we can regard the diplomatic faff as being settled.

Eating beaver, then wearing beaver hats and beaver gloves. Seriously, why?

Lol, I forgot about this. Seriously, mind-blowingly moronic.

Wearing beaver hats ? oh, that was about the only funny 30 seconds of the both episodes for me. I genuinely laughed :lol:

The beaver / hard wood jokes were too idiotic even for for 14 year olds. But I guess they keep doing these jokes just because they can get away with them. Kind of like a stuck record slowly passing into oblivion.

More boring than pt. 1 for me, unfortunately. Still was interesting. Am I the only who wishes they'd actually done the football match thingo? To me it would've been more interesting than the ending they had. Plus, it would've forced the editors to take out some of the boring scenes from both episodes.

I think both parts were good, right up until the attack at the end. The plate had to be on purpose, whether it was done by some cheeky person at BBC or not. And whether Jeremy knew or not, it surely wasnt a coincidence. Shouldn't have been done.

Also, the Lotus was STUNNING. What an amazing and great looking car. It's too bad it met such an unfitting fate. The Porsche was nice too. Mach sucked imo.

Last edited:
Not as good as the first part, but honestly very little would be, so no loss there.

I no longer care if the license plate debacle was intentional or not: the Argentines in Tierra del Fuego proved to be incredible troglodytes and I have less than zero sympathy for how they handled the situation.

On the whole, I still give this part 9/10.