[22x01] January 25th, 2015

[22x01] January 25th, 2015

• Total voters
A solid episode. Before people start, I doubt Hammond's first fall was faked. It looks like he wasn't paying attention to the road in his quest for speed and fell into a trolly track.
In the London version of this race, Hammond jumped up onto a parallel curb at full speed, which is harder than it looks and he made it look easy. He's got some urban cycling skills. There's no way that someone who has those kinds of skills lets a train track take him down like that unless that was the plan in the first place.

Everybody makes mistakes...
True, but that mistake is not plausible for someone who has the skills that Hammond has previously demonstrated.

That's a common mistake for beginners but not for someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
True, but that mistake is not plausible for someone who has the skills that Hammond has previously demonstrated.

That's a common mistake for beginners but not for someone who knows what they are doing.

Not if he has never encountered tram tracks before and is also dealing with Russian driving and the reputation that precedes it.

I tell you what, if you're so convinced he did it on purpose then go outside on your bike accelerate to about 15mph then fall off onto a hard surface without removing your feet from the pedals. Even if you can actually bring yourself to do it I don't imagine it will be a pleasant experience.

But if you do please post the footage here for our collective amusement.

Not if he has never encountered tram tracks before and is also dealing with Russian driving and the reputation that precedes it.

I tell you what, if you're so convinced he did it on purpose then go outside on your bike accelerate to about 15mph then fall off onto a hard surface without removing your feet from the pedals. Even if you can actually bring yourself to do it I don't imagine it will be a pleasant experience.

But if you do please post the footage here for our collective amusement.
There are tram tracks in London I'm sure other places in the U.K. I seriously doubt that he hasn't encountered them before.

Crashing on purpose has been done before by people who make movies and T.V. shows. I can't prove he did it on purpose, but I still think he did.

Good team race, hilarious Hammond fall, beautiful lambo, enough with the hovercrafts. 8/10 good start to the season

I have to agree, I don't think Hammond's falls were staged. It looked very much like he was being *herded* (by the traffic) into the tram tracks, and the tires were narrower than what he was used to. (And you don't plan for a 9-grand bike actually breaking without chance of repair.)

Accidents happen even to the most experienced riders. If not, how do you account for all of the crashes in the Tour de France and other bike races?

There are tram tracks in London I'm sure other places in the U.K. I seriously doubt that he hasn't encountered them before.

Crashing on purpose has been done before by people who make movies and T.V. shows. I can't prove he did it on purpose, but I still think he did.

There are no trams in London bar the Croydon tramlink which runs nowhere near to where Hammond commutes (the various BBC offices). Those other cities in the UK that do have them are also nowhere near where Hammond lives or regularly works/commutes.

Crashing on purpose is done by trained professionals who are usually clad in padding, not regular TV presenters in lycra.

Exactly.

I'd like to say that tram tracks are a trap even for a car (try it) or a bus; when passing or crossing them on a bike, a really minor mistake is enough to have a really bad crash. No matter how experienced and careful you are.

Accidents happen even to the most experienced riders. If not, how do you account for all of the crashes in the Tour de France and other bike races?
I was talking about that specific type of crash.

Pros crash in races because they are racing. They are pushing things to the edge. The tolerances drop to nothing sometimes. A solo rider who knows what he's doing is never going to let his wheels hit tracks at that angle.

- - - Updated - - -

Crashing on purpose is done by trained professionals who are usually clad in padding
Not true, at all. Casey Neistat is a film director and made a movie of himself doing numerous crashes.