[22x01] January 25th, 2015

[22x01] January 25th, 2015

• Total voters
Better than I was expecting. 7/10
I've only heard of Ed Shearan because of his kick-arse watch collection. Never heard any of his songs (or whatever he does). He needs a shave and a hair-cut and someone also needs to tell him that checked flannel shirts look awful on blood-nuts.

....I want Hammond's bike (intact please :p) although I don't believe the claimed weight. ...

Same suspicion and I mentioned it to an experienced cyclist who could not believe it either.
Brief googlesearch indicates me, that 800 grams is a magic number these days, solely for the frame, not for the whole bike.
Anyone knows for sure ?

JC: Like all cyclists Hammond was full of rage and aggression :D

Liked the ep a lot! Don't know if I agree about the Lambo, the madness is still there if you poke it. I think the Hurac?n is like Dr Hannibal Lecter: He may appear nice and sophisticated, but inside he's still batshit insane.

The challenge was really good! Hammond's fall made me cringe, it looked so painful! And he was a complete wreck at the end :sad:

Which is why I don't ride a bicycle to work (despite being something I do for a hobby): If to arrive quickly I have to end up like THAT, then no thanks. I prefer the traffic jams while sitting inside my cozy air conditioned car, listening to the news, or soothing songs. :dunno:

Awarded this 8/10. Perhaps a little over-generous, but like a couple of others have said I enjoyed the "honesty" of the episode.

The main challenge was pretty good. I guess recycled ideas are inevitable now we are on series 22, but it's been long enough and the new location and vehicles made it seem surprisingly fresh. Lambo review was pretty standard and I agree with Hammond that the Huracan is a bit dull, although I wasn't really keen on the CinemaScope-style image format. SIARPC was OK, Ed is a nice guy and kept it interesting despite his lack of car history and I was definitely distracted by the attractive women that were strategically placed for that segment.

So yeah, pretty good. Bodes well for the new series. Hopefully the quality will remain high and we can have a long but good series as series 10 was.

Man in green van (in the end of Saint-P episode) was right because there was no road signs, it means Hammond must give way to traffic on his right

Also, when Jeremy said that he is back on the traffic-free river, he was actually on the same river in the same place.

Last edited:
Hammond's fall made me cringe, it looked so painful!

Well, that's why I have wide tyres on my bike and it is an MTB which I use in the city. Only in the city to be honest.

Anyway, tram tracks are very nasty.

Last edited:
Good episode but I really disliked the wide aspect ratio of the car review. Most of my TV's screen was black and what imagery there was was tiny. It detracted from a sequence that would otherwise have been excellent.

A solid 7/10 for me. Very nearly an 8/10 but the race was a bit off even though it did have its moments.

I couldn't believe James actually said what I have been thinking about the Huracan. It does absolutely nothing for me and the "design" is pathetic.

10 weeks, yes please.

Season promo looks entertaining with more goofy comedy than I'd prefer. It will be interesting to see the Top Gear UK cast in the Chevrolet Silverado, Ford Raptor and guessing Ram 1500 because it will be like a version of Top Gear US... probably way better if they don't interject the ridiculous humor.

The race was pleasantly enjoyable with enough comedy and in-the-moment feel to it. The ending with the Stig in last place may have been staged netherless was done great. Good time and place in the show.
Note: I'm a believer that most of their recent (last 3-5 years?) synthesized style of humor has downgraded the show.

The Lamborghini review was good, possibly because I feel a similar way towards the car. The looks are good but too conservative for the company. More Lamborghini Countach please.

SIARPC I disliked because it felt like a promo for him. Nick Mason's appearance with book seemed better. I may be biased since he loaned the Enzo and I enjoy Pink Floyd.

9/10 One point lost due to the SIARPC segment but I may have rated it so high due to withdrawals.

I really enjoyed it, and would rate it a solid 8.
The race was cool, especially considering it was a rehash of an old idea. That was definitely a real fall. Some rubles probably changed hands offscreen to coax the Russian to give up his bike.

The Huracan review was cool, but the whole "this car is made too well, it's not crazy enough, blahblahblah" is getting pretty old. The GT-R, any McLaren... We get it, you want a Mercedes that corners like an airplane carrier. In the real world, I'd imagine most people want their supercar to have superior handling and not just burn through tyres in 25 miles or so...

I knew Ed Sheeran's name, but I couldn't name a single "hit" of his. Cool that a guy who had never driven before managed to do a halfway decent timed lap.

Watching again. When Jeremy introduced Stig for the lap, he said his favorite football formation was 8-8-19 (90?). Is there a significance to that number? Special date? Not familiar with football. Just curious.

Hmmmmmmm.... but when you're used to a certain make/model behaving a certain way for decades, and then it suddenly changes its shape/color/manufacturer, it stands to reason you'd get nostalgic about the way it used to be.

What if all Lambos started driving like souped-up Audi R8s ?
That's not what Lambo fans want.

I gave it a 6. It was good. Certainly better than many prev first episodes in a given series. The dork in me wants my episodes more jam packed, and more technical, but a 6 does mean it was more good than bad, so I'm happy.