[22x02] February 1st, 2015

[22x02] February 1st, 2015

• Total voters
Solid 8 from me. Too tired to go into details but man...the Australian outback is freaking huge!!!

Otherwise, it wasn't a bad episode. Seeing the Maloo hooning around the mine was a little bittersweet. They didn't mention it on the show, but the Aussie ute's days are numbered. In a few years we won't be making them any more after Holden and Ford shut down their manufacturing operations.

That was the point of the music used. ;)

If they had cut it short by about 15 mins (so without the dumb cow herding and "conclusion") I would have given it a 7 but as is it's a 6.

I missed the news, the film could have been a bit shorter but it was good anyway.

So far best start since S18.

Great ep. Interesting car choices and super scenery. Glad to see they stuck it to everyone giving them grief over a stupid license plate. Long live TG.

Decent episode. However, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. I felt the editing and sound choice was a little sloppy at time (for instance, why was the road train bit even there.

I'm guessing the roadtrain was in it as they came across it.It also shows people how bloody big those things are.

A good episode but I do have to disagree with them re the GTR being a "Driver's Car"
Sure they are are very fast and will beat most other cars, but they have super-computers doing the 'driving'
They flatter average drivers making them appear better than they are. They are a car for the playstation generation, and leave me cold.
The KTM X-Bow or any Caterham 7 is a driver's car.

David

Don't know if it's close to where they were, but too bad they didn't show the Nullarbor plains road, the longest straight road in the world: 90 miles!

Some recycled forced jokes and the trip that didn't feel like trip more like segment filmed in a rush. Siarpc interview and quest was pretty meh to me. Liked the rallying part and scenery so let's give it 6

It was a good episode until they decided to herd cows. Why would anyone try to herd that many cows with a car? They were completely useless and it was a waste of time for them, the camera crew, and the viewers to watch them try. In all reality it was the helicopters doing 99.9% of the work the three of them were basically driving next to the cows looking at them with Hammond and Clarkson doing completely random and useless donuts.

Rant aside I liked the 45 or so minutes prior to it. Argument was decent too.

I also expect a British motoring show to have some basic comprehension of physics and vehicle dynamics too. The #1 factor in stopping distance is the tire. For one panic stop the brake size and material is almost irrelevant compared to the tire.

Please go back to doing car things with cars. If I want to watch a bunch of middle aged men be cowboys I can watch Texas rodeo.

Last edited:
This was a truly cool episode. I am a car guy first, Top Gear fan later so naturally I was interested in the cars more than any of the challenges (the cow herding bit was a little silly thb). Clarkson's fail with the launch control resulted in an epic unintended burnout which I liked a lot. Still can't believe though that an M6 could outrun a GT-R in a drag race, be it of any length. The hill climb was a treat to my eyes as well with all the slow-motions and helicopter shots of the cars drifting in the sand. But in the end, to see those three cars so much out of their comfort zone was truly great. And here, people are scared they might ding their ten grand econobox if they drive through a pothole too fast.

I loved Kiefer Sutherland but like others pointed out, it felt rushed. They were jumping topics and didn't get much into the details. Jeremy said Kiefer had a good car history and yet they only discuss 2 cars? And one of them is a Panamera? (A car which I hate).

I did miss the news. They shouldn't have cut it out. I honestly think this episode should have been split into two big parts and shown in two big episodes. There is just so much about Australia its impossible to show it all in one episode. They were filming for almost 2 weeks so I guess they had a lot of footage lying around and they should have taken their time to select more content to show rather than just shoving in what they thought were the "best bits".

It felt unfinished to me. It felt 9/10 when it really should have been a 10/10. It still had the usual old jokes and mocking about and the Chilean references just keep coming in (Sanchez's picture on the table at the start). Loved the May vs Hammond argument in the end! Overall, it was great still and I enjoyed it! An hour and two minutes well spent!

Last edited:
Great episode, but I'm surprised nobody has asked the question:

How on earth did the GTR lose in that drag race? Lightest and more or less equally highest powered and with AWD/aggressive launch control!

I can understand the BMW clawing back the lead against the Bentley, but the GTR should've leaped to the front from the beginning and kept pulling away for the rest of the race... confused.

Great episode, but I'm surprised nobody has asked the question:

How on earth did the GTR lose in that drag race? Lightest and more or less equally highest powered and with AWD/aggressive launch control!

I can understand the BMW clawing back the lead against the Bentley, but the GTR should've leaped to the front from the beginning and kept pulling away for the rest of the race... confused.
You didn't read my comment, did you? I suppose only James May can cause a GT-R to loose to an M6.

Loved it all. Laughed at the "argument". Really liked the license plate zing. Want the Bentley. In yellow surprisingly. Never was crazy for the guest but thought he did a good job. Wish they would put the full interview on the site. 9/10.