[22x03] February 8th, 2015

[22x03] February 8th, 2015

• Total voters
Scripted nonsense. Some parts funny but painfully contrived. Only thing that saved it was Daniel, in fact i kept switching channels.
Next week should be epic though: i8, M4, Defender/Dam, and James May in the AMG GT!

Spoilers dude :mad:

I've been giving it some thought but I can't think of any episode of TG ever, not even really old ones, that is worse than this one. Having so much talent backed by so much money and then producing this is, frankly, criminal.

-2/10

I laughed my ass off, and definitely needed it. I don't like it when they're trying to be serious, yet silly at the same time. When they go full silly, it works!

I'd go with a 7.5 for a solid effort, rounded to an 8 for the fantastic lap Riccardo put in

Guest editor; Helen Keller.

The news was needlessly and unfunnily offensive and unfortunately couldn't make up for an extremely weak main film. I feel like such a douchey forum critic but it's true-- this episode exemplified the lesser aspects of the show.

Good ep. Got a kick out of all the gags. Some butthurt people here (see above).

Having had the worst vacations in over 5 years, this was a nice way to start again my normal life...

Scripted, yes, funny, hell yeah! I havent laughed like this in months... Thanks TGUK. 10/10.

I enjoyed it, more than I expected to. I really thought this was going to be another car-train or Sweeney film, but it didn't seem as painful. I'm hoping it'll hold up under repeat viewings...

Only episode in recent memory to make me laugh out loud. The tending to the patients while the Stig took them around the track was hilarious. The final race, not as much but still some good laughs throughout.

Some of you really need the sticks removed from thy posteriors.

Completely lost interest after 30 minutes. Pretty bad episode when SIARPC is the highlight. A generous 3/10

Not sure what people expect from a TG episode but for me this was vintage Top Gear: smart people doing stupid things...and having a hell of a lot of fun in the process. It was like reconnecting with an old friend. I haven't laughed this hard at a TG episode since they made a convertible people carrier. And I'm pretty sure it's been just as long since they last pulled out that score tally board. I get that sometimes it's painfully aware that they're trying too hard but sometimes, like tonight, everything just clicks. Loved it.

Like it or not, I'm not sure why anyone would compare it to the India special when this had more in common with the hover-van and the police car challenge, and needs to be judged against them to remove at least some subjective bias.

While I cringe at badly scripted gags slotted into many TG episodes, when they're dished out as well edited scripted gags, then it's no worse than a bit of motoring nonsense from the likes of Buster Keyton, Keystone Cops, Abbott and Costello, et al. Many get a giggle from those old movies, so for me, this bit of scripted TGUK nonsense is fine in small doses too. At least they didn't pretend to do their silly ambulance mods all by themselves overnight in a shed.

SIARPC was a nice change too, considering some celeb's [yawn] who haven't even driven a car before. Got a giggle, wasn't bored, so not a bad show.

8/10
Can't deny 60 minutes of entertainment. Top Gear has an extremely diverse audience - it's hard to produce an episode that appeals to everyone.

The 488 GTB is so disappointing.

Ferraris that prioritize function over form to such an extreme level, like the Enzo or the F50, age very badly, because they're basically asking a computer to design an efficient shape. That's nice, but in 5 years, there will be much better computers that will create much better shapes, and the 488, instead of looking like a timeless work of art, will simply look like an outdated version of their next car.

I remember how James May once wrote that the 458 is basically a 430 in higher resolution. Their bit about the 488 really summarizes Top Gear very well. It's what they've been saying since the beginning of the show: when a car has no character and no soul, like the 458, its worth is determined solely by how well it can perform the tasks that it was built to do, meaning that as soon as they release a newer one, you'll throw the old one away as if it were trash, even though it's a $300 000 Ferrari. But then what's the point of buying one? It's no longer special, it no longer looks that much different from any other car. It's just as boring as a normal car, except is uses more expensive materials.

Last edited:
The ambulance film started well enough, and we howled at the second segment with the Stig laps, but the third segment was dire- the Thunderbirds bit, everything really- went on far too long and was getting painful by the end. Shame.

Okay'ish episode, but that last part of the ambulance challenge was just something... awful. I wish they'd for once try to do things properly.

This episode was a waste of my time. I can't fathom all the money and time spent on the vehicles and that town, and for absolutely no reason. Fake contests aren't funny or entertaining. When Top Gear does genuine competitions, they're excellent. This though, there was really no substance whatsoever to any of the content, aside from the interview with smiles.

Last edited:
I gotta say I enjoyed this one. Like others have said, it's reminiscent of the older challenges (police cars, caravans). You can tell they were truly having fun, instead of trying to be serious while being "silly". The third part really could've been cut back a bit, because it was obvious that they were lapping the fake town multiple times while trying to get to the hospital. 7/10

I am so glad that you lot of completely humorless, wet blanket types don't have any say in the production of this show. If you had, it would have been canceled years ago. Nobody would have watched it. Or TG pre-2002 would be what he have today.

While this is the best series in a long time, last week was a snooze fest. All they did in Australia is drive around. The only interesting part was the race up the mine. Still a good episode because no TG episode can score below a 6, but that one was a 6.1.

Thankfully, this week saved them and returned to normal, fun and lighthearted TG.

Liked the Thunderbirds-inspired bits. The rest was dumb fun. Not the worst case of it.

For those who were offended by the news section, let me remind you that you don't give offense, youi TAKE offense. Being offended is a choice you make.