[22x04] February 15th, 2015

[22x04] February 15th, 2015

• Total voters
A nice tongue-in-cheek moment (and only a moment) where they attempted to just talk about cars they'd driven recently - wonder where they got the impression there's been complaints? Like most other movie promos that probably buy their way into TGUK, the SIARPC segment was the low point in the show for me - a [>>] moment, slowing only to see the cameraman jump clear.

Didn't spot any Chilean references, but I might have been distracted looking for more of the Stig's anti-Daniel Ricciardo graffiti.

i dont think they could have made it more obvious: there were several chilean flags attached to the power lap times board.

Proper. Just fucking proper Top Gear.

Of note: when they did their "mock" news of a car program... I wish that's what they did every week. Since, you know, that is what they used to do... every week.

Well done, chaps.

FYI, Canada got the internet 6 months ago :p

Last edited:
Best Episode in a long time!!!! Great car review and camera work.

9/10 - Props to the hole crew and Andy Williams for this TG Gem.

Can I just say I loved this episode, it felt like the first true proper Top Gear episode in a long time. Voted 10.

Of note: when they did their "mock" news of a car program... I wish that's what they did every week. Since, you know, that is what they used to do... every week.

I second this!! I enjoyed their mock car news as well. They tried to goof on it, and it was still interesting.

Not the best thing they have ever done, but better than most of the last seven years .... geez, the show's been crap for half a decade and I still come here after each episode! Actually made me enthuse a little for cars again .. Top Gear hasn't had that effect on me for ages (many years). The send off for the next episode was, however, both ominous and disquieting .... usual shit next week ???

I did like this episode, not sure about the land rover film but I was distracted because I didn't know where the cat was and she's not well so maybe I'll enjoy it on a second viewing. The Daniel Ricciardo gags were good, the we'll talk about cars now bit and then the i8 review even though there was no power lap was alright.
Yeah, good no laugh out loud entertainment but next weeks episode should be better.

I like when they mix humor and serious talk. Must say I'm a bit tired all complaints they did not speak enough car. Would think many here expect them to have the show for every single person's wish

I like last weeks program and i like this 9/10

Last edited:
Nice, finally again the proper TG format. It was kind of funny how their mocking backfired since its what most people want to see.

Anyway I thought James' SLS review was way off. He disliked all the things that made the SLS special. Gullwing doors, great NA engine, a slick shape. Now it looks like a toy, has a turbo engine which will never have the responsivness or sound of the previous powerplant, has regular doors like all other cars...

And Im confused as to how the i8 works. Dont understand how its smart to set it up to charge its batteries only in sport mode instead of comfort or was Jeremy again talking out of his behind. In sport you use all the power, electric and gas, how can you use it all and charge it at the same time. What, it cuts out every once in a while to recharge...?

p.s Will Smith must be the most obnoxious person alive.

Last edited:
Im confused as to how the i8 works. Dont understand how its smart to set it up to charge its batteries only in sport mode instead of comfort or was Jeremy again talking out of his behind. In sport you use all the power, electric and gas, how can you use it all and charge it at the same time. What, it cuts out every once in a while to recharge...?

From BMW's website (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i8/2014/showroom/charging.html#while_driving):

"In the non-electric driving modes, the high-voltage battery is charged directly by the petrol engine so that it is available for the boost function. Here most energy is fed into the battery in the SPORT mode, and the energy recovery in thrust and brake phases also reaches its maximum. In the COMFORT and ECO PRO modes, correspondingly less energy flows into the high-voltage battery. And if you are driving your BMW i8 in the HYBRID mode, the high-voltage battery is charged exclusively by Brake Energy Regeneration."

The Clarkson translation of this bumf: the battery actually charges fastest when it's in sport mode; while it *does* charge in comfort mode, it's not at a fast enough rate to be practical for an extended trip.

Of course, it charges quicker by using more petrol. Trade-off - you'd probably still get more mpg in comfort mode.

Also, exactly how thick would Clarkson have to be to mess up the electrical charging so badly if it wasn't scripted?

p.s Will Smith must be the most obnoxious person alive.

Oh no...I think that accolade goes to another Will - Will.I.Am. (at least, as far as TG guests go) ;)

I often skip the SIARPC segment (especially on repeat viewings), but this one made me laugh. At least the stars were able to drive, rather than getting on guests who don't drive, just so they can promote *whatever*.

Oh no...I think that accolade goes to another Will - Will.I.Am. (at least, as far as TG guests go) ;)

YES. Remember how Clarkson was trying to be nice about his car project?

I think he compared the design to a Maserati Biturbo. :lol:

I felt like Clarkson chose the i8 for the "greater good" in his segment. This series seems to have a well executed blend of fun & car reviews.

At the end of the show Jeremy said: Next week normal service is resumed...

Isn't it sad when "normal service" on a CAR SHOW means scripted comedy and crashes? At least we get one good episode every now and then. :|

Proper. Just fucking proper Top Gear.

Well done, chaps.

Fully agree. I just watched bunch of older series and i did enjoy them a lot.

Nice episode siarpc was tad too long but other than that good.

Great epsiode 9/10

The news were brilliant and even the landrover part did not finish as estimated was in a special way "bloody" good.

I really enjoyed this episode! I disagree with James, though. The AMG GT does not look classy or pretty at all. The back is okay but the front is just ugly. It looks like a fish with those stupid headlights and the big mouth-like grill. I still prefer the looks of the SLS. It stood out with its gullwing doors and 19ft bonnet without being hideous. The news bit was good. Lol'd the 'car show talk' mockery. Loved the M3 and i8 and I totally new Jeremy would pick the i8. I just knew. And so would I. It looks fantastic! Not very interested in the interview although I do like Will Smith. I still watch Bad Boys whenever it comes on TV. The part I was most excited about was obviously the Land Rover film. It doesn't matter to me whether he made it to the absolute top. Just watching a 60 year old car made by blocks climb a dam, a steep dam at that, with a winch was just spectacular! I was terrified sitting in my chair so I can imagine what Hammond must have felt like sitting in the car.

I can't wait for the next episode though. Hammond testing the Corvette! Bring it on!

I gave it an 8, but immediately regretted it and should have given it a 9. I wasn't enthused at all by the double-guest SIARPC. But the rest of it was great. Absolutely great.

I now want a BMW i8. Anybody want to buy one for me? :lol:

This was the Top Gear that turned them into the global sensation. More of this please! The news mockery was what they used to do; I'm going through an old-->new run again and I really feel it was their best work when they were in the balance years; Series 7 - 12 or so when they balanced the comedic bits and challenges with a bit of "car show" too. This felt just like that, perhaps more "car show" than balance. Still great though. I hoped they enjoyed making it and will make more just like this. The hour just whisked away.