[22x04] February 15th, 2015

[22x04] February 15th, 2015

• Total voters
I really enjoyed this episode! I disagree with James, though. The AMG GT does not look classy or pretty at all. The back is okay but the front is just ugly. It looks like a fish with those stupid headlights and the big mouth-like grill. I still prefer the looks of the SLS. It stood out with its gullwing doors and 19ft bonnet without being hideous. The news bit was good. Lol'd the 'car show talk' mockery. Loved the M3 and i8 and I totally new Jeremy would pick the i8. I just knew. And so would I. It looks fantastic! Not very interested in the interview although I do like Will Smith. I still watch Bad Boys whenever it comes on TV. The part I was most excited about was obviously the Land Rover film. It doesn't matter to me whether he made it to the absolute top. Just watching a 60 year old car made by blocks climb a dam, a steep dam at that, with a winch was just spectacular! I was terrified sitting in my chair so I can imagine what Hammond must have felt like sitting in the car.

I can't wait for the next episode though. Hammond testing the Corvette! Bring it on!

The AMG GT looks like a cut and shut job with the front of an SLS grafted onto the back of a 911. It's like the two halves of the car were designed by two separate people who weren't even on the same continent as each other.

It was kind of funny how their mocking backfired since its what most people want to see.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
I love people claiming doom and gloom on Top Gear due to its comedic approach, despite factually speaking, the show has maintained its strong ratings for many series now, and even raised the bar with Series 22 so far. So, I think the general public likes what they see.

Who's the daft cock that rated this episode 1/10?

proper, proper TG.
loved the Merc test, BMW test was excellent,
loved the little references to Ricciardo and Chile,
Even SIARPC was entertaining and OK.
Did not expect anything exciting during the LandRover segment,
so I was bored but not disappointed.

When did James become a sneakerhead?

Who's the daft cock that rated this episode 1/10?
You can view poll results and see, however, until you vote.

Just going to see the show, you all made my expectations high.

EDIT - I made a fool out of me. :) Now I've finished and liked it, great reviews by James & Jeremy, skipped SIARPC. I'd give a 9 overall (Hammond's part was quite long) but as
BobAndy said:
gave it an 8, but immediately regretted it and should have given it a 9.
I gave a 10 to balance it out. :)

Last edited:
I give most-annoying-SIARPC to Christian Slater. For some reason that guest segment sticks in my mind after several years.

6/10

A very boring episode on all counts.

This is certainly the low spot of the series so far. It still was very informative and the cinematography was astounding, but this will be an episode nobody remembers. This episode put me to sleep before the BMW Prius review was over.

The high point is when they called out the haters from last week's episode.

Thankfully it sounds like we'll be back to proper Top Gear next week. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
First time this series I watched the show live on BBC Two instead of on demand. Great episode but why I gave it an 8 instead of a 9 or 10 was because of the back to the studio bits after the BMW and Land Rover segments. They ruined a couple of great films when Jeremy announced he changed his mind making the verdict within the film pointless.

Also I'm confused. Is the Land Rover Defender going out of production or not? If it is then it justifies Richard's film although the producers dun goofed by not placing the hitch-point in a better place for Hammond to actually get to the top instead of nearly getting there and having to go down again. Nice work producers. Then why would Jeremy make that shit up?

You can view poll results and see, however, until you vote.

Just going to see the show, you all made my expectations high.

You can still see who voted if you press the numbers to the left in the poll.

Hammond's segment was about a winch which was disappointing. The AMG is a ruined SLS. Didn't like SIARPC, but that's highly subjective. The rest was better than the usual hovercrafting/crashing/ambulancing etc.

I was very distracted by the shoes of the female guest. How can she walk in heels that high?

If we banned people on the basis of opinions this place would have been a ghost town years ago. Probably.

In any set of results there will always be something off the curve.

If we banned people on the basis of opinions this place would have been a ghost town years ago. Probably.

In any set of results there will always be something off the curve.

In the land of engineering we call those outliners and usually ignore them. :p

The AMG GT looks like a cut and shut job with the front of an SLS grafted onto the back of a 911. It's like the two halves of the car were designed by two separate people who weren't even on the same continent as each other.
I thought the same thing while watching it, but since no one had mentioned it early on here, I figured I needed new glasses. Friends had a cat like that - some sort of weird front/rear hybrid.

9/10 - good ep overall.

I too did not see any Chilean references, unlike last week with the drinking mugs and the logos on the "star in a reasonably priced car" time board. But they did make a reference during the Wil Smith interview.

Did anyone else notice that the Yorkshire sequence, and to a lesser extent much of the filmed bits, had a bit of a golden colour hue?

Last edited:
9/10 - good ep overall.

I too did not see any Chilean references, unlike last week with the mugs and logos on the "star in a reasonably priced car" time board. But they did make a reference during the Wil Smith interview.

Did anyone else notice that the Yorkshire sequence, and to a lesser extent much of the filmed bits, had a bit of a golden color hue?

I think I missed the Chilean reference thanks to my skimming over the SIARPC too quickly - which is a reasonable excuse, I think.

TGUK do make a lot of use of filters at times - probably post-filming. A bit of 'sunset gold' often raisies the tone of some shots when the weather's not the best and the greyness is becoming a bit overwelming. Yorkshire (and elsewhere) moors do respond well to a bit of yellow/gold tinting to bring out the heathery hues.

I gave it a 1 out of 10 because this was clearly an advertisement for BMW. The whole time they were trying to describe it as ?futuristic? and ?revolutionary? when in reality it's indistinguishable from a Prius (which they hate). There's no reason to do that unless you were trying to sell it to someone. The BBC shouldn't exist for the purpose of producing advertisements for consumer products.

I just re-watched it. There were Chile flag roundels on the power lap time board. These can be seen when they post the Stig's time for the AMG GT.