[22x05] February 22nd, 2015

[22x05] February 22nd, 2015

• Total voters
I was very much looking forward to this episode, and I must say that I quite enjoyed it! Loved the Corvette vs Cayman review and even James testing the LaFerrari. News cracked me up a couple of times and even though I have never heard of Olly Murs, I actually liked the guy. Had a few laughs in there as well and his lap was quite blistering. I laughed like an idiot (mind you, I am an idiot) in the Peugeot film! Despite knowing fully well that it was all scripted and thought out and very silly, I still couldn't help myself but laugh at their mocking about. For all that, I give it an 8/10.

The highlight for me, surprisingly was the bit where they got the three hypercars in the studio and had their discussion. I knew 100% that Porsche would just throw them the keys to the car as it was while the other two companies would start fighting and picking excuses like little children. One wants to have customer cars and one doesn't. What the hell? Why can't they just send whatever available cars they have, do the lap and be on their way? Why does it have to be as complicated and stupid as F1? My hatred for Ferrari is growing day-by-day and McLaren isn't much behind. The simple fact that they aren't releasing their respective Nurgburgring times and neither letting Top Gear test them on their track suggests that they failed to beat the Porsche and they're scared that their much more expensive, powerful and lighter, 'track focused' cars lost to a 1.6 ton Porsche with less horse power and more weight than either of them.

They're three completely different cars, so it's pointless to compare them to each other. At Monza, the McLaren would probably be the fastest, at Spa, it would be the Ferrari and on the Top Gear track, the Porsche would be the fastest. There's just no point and I agree with Ferrari.
Disagree completely. The Top Gear track and the Powerlap board provides a very interesting comparison that extends beyond those three cars. It is something you can go back to through a history of vehicles. The consistency of the track (as long as it is dry) and the fact that it is mostly laps from the same driver. No one cares which is faster at Monza or Spa. "Losing" against the other vehicles doesn't mean the car is slower. It just means it is slower on this track. Ferrari is butthurt as usual.

Not as bad as I had feared given what they told us last week. Without the silly last bit it would have been a 7.5, with it it'll be a 7.

I agree, think it's silly by Ferrari and McLaren not letting them testing the cars. Probably, their just scared of losing, like little children.
I really hope they manage to do the race.:mad:
But overall, great episode, 10/10.

News - weak,
STar - Good,
La Ferrari - good,
Porsche / Corvette - ok
First half Peugeot nice
second half weak.

-> 7

I liked the episode, the Cayman/Corvette, James in the Ferrari, news, Olly Murs, almost everything, right up until the 'funny' Peugeot part.

The mockery was funny for the first few minutes, but then it was just boring. And I was so looking forward to another Jamer/Jeremy segment, those are always great.
I'll give it an 8, would've been a 9 if it wasn't for that part.

Instead of doing a bot of mockery while driving some of the cars (like when they did Saab) they only showed pictores of the great ones and drove pointlessly around in the modern, boring ones while doing "comedy" that wasn't funny anymore after around two minutes. Meh. 7. Without second half of the Peugeot bit. probably a 8 or 9.

I liked this episode a lot, untill the second part of the Peugeot bit. But I din?t undestand it.... Now I understand that they were moking about the DRIVERS, not the cars..it all makes sence again.

Cheers

Way to go Ferrari. Way to act like a bunch of Italian children.

Their car front design is straight out of Disney's "Cars", so I think they just chose to complement their brand image with fitting behavior.

I enjoyed it, including the Peugeot bit (but then I completely agree with the stereotype of their drivers. Just add the Vauxhall Zafira onto that as well)

Ferrari need to grow up. People buy cars like that with a certain amount of brand loyalty; or you just buy all 3 because you're a rich Arab. No one *really* cares which is quickest. I still find myself preferring the 918 even though it's probably the underdog of the three- if my euromillions came up, I reckon it's the one I'd have though. I don't think I'd care that it's 1.23 seconds slower round the track.

I'd just like to point out that the brakes on the GTS were glowing red in hammerhead! :drool: I'm in love with that car. I'll probably get back to my review later on.

mAsa7OO.png

I'd just like to point out that the brakes on the GTS were glowing red in hammerhead! :drool: I'm in love with that car. I'll probably get back to my review later on.

mAsa7OO.png
And judging by the yellow calipers, that Cayman had the (here at least) 8000 dollar optional ceramic brake package.

I'd just like to point out that the brakes on the GTS were glowing red in hammerhead!

brakes that overheat are in vogue now?

Jeremy and James pretending to be French and reenacting the Peugeot board meeting made me laugh pretty damn hard, I must admit.

There is one thing that I've been thinking about since watching the episode. They always say the same thing about buying a Corvette, and other American cars, that people in Europe just can't buy them. Okay. But then they move on to the news and start complaining about Ford not bringing the GT350 to Europe. And once before they complained about a rumor that Ford wasn't even going to offer the V8 Mustang in Europe. But how can they complain about any of that when they themselves bleat on and on about how no one in Europe can buy an American sports car?

Why would they bring over a car when people are too pretentious to ever buy one?

Massive thumbs down for Ferrari and Mc Laren for not letting their cars on the track! I believe that part wasn't scripted one single bit, I've been looking for that comparison in the last series already and couldn't believe the childishness they showed. Sounds like they really believe that not setting the fastest lap on Top Gear would drive away potential customers. Hated Ferrari for their arrogance ever since and that story just confirmed it once again YOU BLOODY RUGRATS!

All the other bits were pretty entertaining, I'm just wondering if the image of Peugeot drivers in the UK currently is really that bad as my feeling was that Vauxhall was taking that trophy for the last decade or so.

Massive thumbs down for Ferrari and Mc Laren for not letting their cars on the track! I believe that part wasn't scripted one single bit, I've been looking for that comparison in the last series already and couldn't believe the childishness they showed. Sounds like they really believe that not setting the fastest lap on Top Gear would drive away potential customers. Hated Ferrari for their arrogance ever since and that story just confirmed it once again YOU BLOODY RUGRATS!

All the other bits were pretty entertaining, I'm just wondering if the image of Peugeot drivers in the UK currently is really that bad as my feeling was that Vauxhall was taking that trophy for the last decade or so.

I kinda like Ferrari's cars but I'm quite appalled by the company named Ferrari, the often hardly bearable arrogance of their deciples - especialyl since they began to decide who is worth buying their cars and who's not. Apparently it seems to work for them, though, being save in the caring arms of the FIAT corporation if one day their strategy might go wrong...

On the other hand I take great pleasure from knowing that many of the fanatic Ferrari lovers out there would never qualify as being worth getting one :D

brakes that overheat are in vogue now?

It looks awesome that's all. And it's not really overheating since the car has carbon ceramics..

Can't quite catch up with Hammond on 12:14: It's just me - in Ross-on-Wye.

Does that means "It was something I saw in Ross-on-Wye?" or there is some other meaning in it?