[22x05] February 22nd, 2015

[22x05] February 22nd, 2015

• Total voters
Eh... boring to me. Nothing really stood out . Peugeot film was a bit weird and unnecessary, LaFerrari review wasn't up to standards of the 918 and P1 reviews, the news wasn't funny, and the SIARPC was (and almost always is) boring too. Didn't do it for me this week I'm afraid. Next week looks good though.

The LaFerrari is going to be faster than the Porsche. AWD is for the weak.

A while back, there was a kafuffle about Top Gear filming on a stretch of road where there had been a fatal car accident...was that the spot where James 'crashed' his Peugeot?

And, speaking of the Peugeot film...not really enjoying it. Never heard of the SIARPC, but I enjoyed that segment more (and I tend to tune out the SIARPC segments). So far, my least favourite episode this series.

(Although, I did laugh at James calling Jeremy "Jennifer" during the LaFerrari review) :lol:

Extremely solid episode, an easy 9/10, but the second half of the Peugeot film let it down. They lose a point for damaging an MR2. :p

Sending the LAF with a guard so they didnt race it was RIDICULOUS. That is making me very suspicious of Ferrari.

The whole thing with Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche not competing is childish.

I don't understand why Ferrari is receiving sole blame, McLaren is just as guilty in my eyes.

Overall a wonderful episode. I think the Ferrari is the fastest of the bunch but the P1 is close... I hope the manufactures finally stand up and say lets do this.

TG Please keep the pressure on the car manufactures to make sure we get this three car test.

Thanks.

I don't understand why Ferrari is receiving sole blame, McLaren is just as guilty in my eyes.

Yep. But having repercussions against any LAF owner who lets Top Gear borrow it is insane, putting more blame on Ferrari in my opinion. And whats going to happen if Jennifer arranges a race between all three cars privately owned? Will the BBC allow it to be filmed?

BTW, the 918 is the most handsome, the LAF gets my "fizzy bits" excited, and the P1 is just kinda too funky imo. Watch jaylenosgarge ep on his P1 if you havent already.

Last edited:
Goddammit, that was satisfying. It was great. And even the Peugot film started brilliantly (the second half wasn't bad... It just dragged on a bit).

And for the first time ever, there was actually a film I could use for consumer advice (no, not LaFerrari!)

9.5/10

Edit: my, my the Ferrari theFerrari sounds bloody brilliant!

Last edited:
I am baffled by the point of the Peugeot segment from Go to Whoa. I know it was supposed to be funny and I get that they maintain that all modern Peugeots are rubbish and the idea was to make a segment showing that. The thing is they didn't, since most of went wrong was either them playing the part of dullard drivers with no life driving badly, or creating fake problems with the cars [such as the staged fire, or the window Up button not working by design].

As a result they didn't actually show anything wrong with the Peugeots. They could have done exactly the same stunts with Porsches and called them rubbish using the same approach; the faults and failures weren't from the cars themselves. Or they could have done a segment about people who are stupid drivers, which is what it seemed it really was.

Now, I don't own a Peugeot but I have driven a number of them. There are some really stupid design features in them that I know about [and some good things too], but none of these were covered in this segment.

If they were shooting at Target Peugeot, they not only didn't get a bulls-eye, they didn't even hit the target.

Last edited:
I wonder what would happen if Vettel himself provided them a review car... Would Ferrari be daft enough to face their 4-time WDC driver with these silly repercussions?

I am positive Top Gear are taking our feedback from this forum with every episode they make. This episode proved to me that Top Gear as a whole is still perfectly capable of producing content with the same original essence that made it great back in the day. As someone else said, this is a great example of classic Top Gear. I officially forgive you for the ambulance episode, I'll have more of this please. This is the internet, so I still have many things to nitpick, but I voted 10/10 because I agree with the comment about it being very satisfying. I applaud you guys for searching for the perfect mix of humor and car programming. The cinematography was also exactly my flavor, there was an emphasis on beautiful shots with special effects kept to a minimal level. The special effects that were there, were quick and not annoying.

Thoughts:
-A Ferrari A Ferrari, segment was great was great. I wanted to see more detail and information about the cabin and engine bay. This segment has bumped up my overall opinion of the laferrari.
-Corvette review was also good, I would have liked it to be a bit more in depth maybe with a real road test besides the track, would be fun to see it driving around on british roads.
-James and Richard did not give very personal opinions about what they liked and disliked about the ferrari and the corvette, I think viewers would find it very interesting to know more about what minor details the guys did and didn't like about each.
-I also thought the news segment was a little lacking, but the overall style and essence of the news segment is exactly what I want to see.
-Peugeot bit was excellent, though it may have dragged on a little during the second half, it was genuinely very funny and interesting, with a smart twist to tie it all together. The french board meeting was gold.

Some suggestions for future segments if I may:

-Road trip with factory WEC/GT3 race cars. The guys drive each one as long as their bodies can bare the brutal ride of long distances in a real race car on the road to a far away destination.
-Have short segments of the guys driving the cars they talk about for the very first time like the Golf GTI, James in the new 991 from last week, etc. Those should be on film! The short clip on the internet of James and Jeremy driving the GTR using the launch control should have been on the show.
-Top Gear coverage of the Porsche Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca this September. Perhaps another California road trip with the end destination the event at the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Extremely solid episode, an easy 9/10, but the second half of the Peugeot film let it down. They lose a point for damaging an MR2. :p

I don't even like Mister 2s and I thought that was painful. I am pretty sure it was already broken judging from the large side impact that I'm pretty sure wasn't caused by either of them. Funny either way. :p

Last edited:
Sending the LAF with a guard so they didnt race it was RIDICULOUS. That is making me very suspicious of Ferrari.

The whole thing with Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche not competing is childish.

Was it Ferrari or McLaren or both that sent guards? I was zoning out by the time they got around to that part.

I think McLaren's request that they test 3 customer cars is totally within reason seeing that Ferrari has been known to cheat shit in the past. If it comes from the factory they're going to tune it to the point where it is no longer representative of a customer LaFerrari.

I wonder what would happen if Vettel himself provided them a review car... Would Ferrari be daft enough to face their 4-time WDC driver with these silly repercussions?

I want this to happen. I've never been the biggest fan of Vettel but I would buy anything and everything Vettel related if he had the balls to pull that off.

How would Ferrari even know who's car they were testing anyways? If they pull the license plates off them is there some other unique ID on them?

Was it Ferrari or McLaren or both that sent guards? I was zoning out by the time they got around to that part.
No one sent guards. That is just scripted TV hyperbole.

Thought this was the worst of the season so far. Love the Cayman, love the Stingray yet they made both look so boring. Their car films on the top gear track are getting so generic that you can just start swapping in different footage of cars and no one would notice. I liked when they used to do unique tests for the cars showing some oddball fact. Example, the Z06 Corvette film showed that it could go from 0 to 175mph in just one gear, 5th.

Same goes for the La Ferrari film. Top Gear is now competing with the likes of Chris Harris and other youtubers who are pumping out some incredible review videos.

A proper 918, P1, La Ferrari comparison is one of the few tests that Top Gear should have the clout to pull off, so I hope they do.

Not bad. The Peugeot film started out with promise, but sort of got out of hand half way through. Not as good as last week. 8/10

I think McLaren's request that they test 3 customer cars is totally within reason seeing that Ferrari has been known to cheat shit in the past. If it comes from the factory they're going to tune it to the point where it is no longer representative of a customer LaFerrari.
You're arguing with Top Gear's no.1 Ferrari fanboy. Abandon hope and reason.

As an aside, I've been meaning to ask you this for years: why do you have a picture of my asshole Prime Minister for your avatar?

Last edited:
Good episode. The Corvette/Cockster and Ferrari reviews were great and the Pug skit was like Top Gear of old. Childish, relatively cheap (it's not like they flew a crew to South America) and quite funny. I fast-forwarded through the star in the reasonably priced car segment as the guy seemed as interestingly as a plate of butter.

Ok, for someone that is not british, what is it with you guys and Peugeot? I found the Peugeot segment idiotic and pointless.

For you and anyone else who felt this way about the Peugeot film allow me to clarify.

For years you could readily identify the inept old farts on the road because they drove Rovers (the ones with any brains, money and any ability at all to drive have Toyotas and Hondas) then Rover went bust. I have been saying for at least five years that as a consequence the useless and ancient have all migrated into Peugeots and that is what they were illustrating, quite accurately, in the film albeit with a certain amount of exaggeration.

Just as at least 50% of the time in the UK the car 30cm from your rear bumper on the motorway will be an Audi, the car that takes forever to pull out of a side turning or which goes everywhere at 40mph regardless of the posted limit will be a Pug.

Anyway on topic I gave this an 8 in spite of the irritating SIARPC. It would have been a 7 but the argument after the The Ferrari film bumped it up a notch.

Way to go Ferrari. Way to act like a bunch of Italian children.

Porsche agrees to let the 918 run a test lap. McLaren agrees as long as all three are customer cars so that Ferrari can't bring a tuned car like they have been known to do for power tests. Ferrari won't agree to let them test a car unless they're bringing it straight from the factory and to make it worse, tthey say that anyone who lets Top Gear test their customer car won't be allowed to buy a new Ferrari. Way to go, children.

Definitely won't be pulling for Vettel this year.

They're three completely different cars, so it's pointless to compare them to each other. At Monza, the McLaren would probably be the fastest, at Spa, it would be the Ferrari and on the Top Gear track, the Porsche would be the fastest. There's just no point and I agree with Ferrari.