[22x06] March 1st, 2015

[22x06] March 1st, 2015

• Total voters
I think this will got down as one of my top... 10 all time favourite episodes of Top Gear, the Lexus review was all right and I'm not interested in that Lexus, well not as interested as some cars the News didn't really stand out for me but it was good. Gillian Anderson was good, I like Gillian Anderson and then the pickup film.
Loved the pickup film, loved the Richard Hammond on the mountain and Top Gear actually managed to get me interested in those ridiculous massive pickup trucks. I liked how they were so half assed about the rescue, they could have just had Hammond jump onto the mountain and then watch the pros do it and be done with it in a 5 minute start of the program segment like Hammond's Nascar film but no, they did a full on film where Hammond attempts to be Bear Grills and the other 2 finish with a race... brilliant.

Haven't even finished it but something about my province and my city even being mentioned makes me very happy. I got all giddy when they I recognized that arrival gate when they landed at YVR.

I want a V8 pickup now.

(As it happens, I might actually be buying one).

A great episode, although I wish they would have done the truck segment as a race between Clarkson and May.

I read the first few comments here before watching and was expecting crap, but it wasn't .. and I am happy. The Lexus review was useful ... I can scrap that car from my todo list, news was OK, SIARPC was excellent .... she seems to like driving and spent the interview talking about driving rather than trying to flog some lame arse film ... didn't realize she had such a hot accent in real life either ..... and the pick-up bit was great! I want one of those velociraptors. 8/10

didn't realize she had such a hot accent in real life either

That was how I felt when I first heard her natural accent for the first time some years ago. It was like ordering your favourite meal in a restaurant then finding out it comes with a side order of a jackpot lottery win.

That was how I felt when I first heard her natural accent for the first time some years ago. It was like ordering your favourite meal in a restaurant then finding out it comes with a side order of a jackpot lottery win.

Gillian's accent changes depending on which country she's in, if she's in USA she can't help but talk with an American accent but in Britain she'll slip into something more english sounding, a bit strange but that's just what she does apparently.

I like the looks of the new lexus. Don't want one.

Liked the news esp the monkey story. I am going to look it up when i remember.

Didn't know the star, i don't watch tv, didn't care for her at all. I of the few stars i didn't care for. For the first time since i started watching tg around series 5, i don't believe her lap time. I am not saying i think they faked it, just that maybe there was a mistake made. I know they slice up the laps and make the lap showing, but she seemed to be slower past the tires, the really fast bit than even jack Whitehall was.

Loved loved loved the truck part. Could have watched am hour of it. Hammond and crew did a good job. Well done guys. I love the Ford f150 to start with and i really loved it in black and yellow. I do not like the Chevy Silverado. My brother in law has several, one banged up red one he calls rag doll and i have just never liked those trucks. The first truck i bought my son was a white f150 extended cab and i loved that truck but he totaled it. He was ok, but the truck was toast. He bought a dodge ram 1500 4x4 extended cab and i have hated that truck since the day he bought it. He also has an orange dodge challenger 100 th anniversary limited edition so he is happy with dodge. The car is far better than the truck to me. He also had a Chevy cobolt which is a hateful little car but he uses them for different things. The Chevy for the gas milage.

Scenery was absolutely breath taking. I think Hammonds misery was for real.

9/10

I feel there was a missed opportunity here for a proper hour long special, as the guys driving across Canada in some sort of "Figure out what the best american truck is to drive across canada in" challenge would have been brilliant. Dodge, Ford and GM and figure out a bunch of challenges to test the trucks in Top Gear fashion. Drag race, towing, off-roading, etc.

The problem is, if they did that, you'd be getting posts on the forum moaning about "WHY DID THEY RIP OFF A &!!&#@! TOP GEAR US EPISODE?!?"

Personally, I liked the "let's take time rescuing Hammond" segment. If you put any of the presenters way, way out of their comfort zone, you do have the potential for great entertainment of the non-scripted variety (i.e. you can't control the situation), and the two trucks were good. (I wonder if it ever occurred to JC to actually use that spare tire?)

Great ep - thought he could've been even harsher on the Lexus if he wanted.

Gillian Anderson <3

Absolutely loved the episode. It had TG comedy mixed with some awesome machinery (not like 22x03, which imo, was the opposite of that) and some brilliant scenery, a very honest no-nonsense car review and a SIARPC that I didn't skip through.

Well done, 9.5/10. What's not to like in this episode? :)

didn't realize she had such a hot accent in real life either

Which has always been my main complaint with her. To effortlessly switch between accents depending on where you are in the world at any given moment just seems disingenuous. Pick one and stick to it.

Otherwise, good episode.

Loved the Lexus bit. I mean the LFA part, not the fat sedan. Finally the LFA gets a proper TGUK review, and not that idiotic film with flying saucers and "oh so cool" effects from a few years ago >.<

The trucks part was awesome! That Ford seems to be such a nice and cozy car for the winter, also it's not everyday that you see Jeremy praising an american vehicle.

This series is shaping up to be one of the best :)

Last edited:
I was surprised at Hammond's skill at knife throwing. Nice Ka-bar too.

Last edited:
Excellent 9/10! Great Lexus review, first interview I've watched in a long time, and I was very entertained by the pick-up rescue. As an American, I see these trucks every day and always thought they were huge buffoons, but I have more respect for them now even though TG was driving very expensive versions. That Silverado is easly $40k which is a shit-ton of a money over here.
Probably closer to $60k. You're looking at $49k for a no option crew cab diesel 4x4 and options add up quick on these trucks.

I would really be interested in seeing what sort of comments were made by Hammond to his co-presenters, when the cameras weren't rolling. ;) I definitely agree that his moments of "unhappiness" were not scripted. And I did laugh at his little stick figure "friends"...

Another really strong episode. I've been quite surprised by the SIARPC segments this series - mostly they've either been people I've not heard of, or just really didn't care about, but they've mostly been fairly entertaining.

Gillian's accent changes depending on which country she's in, if she's in USA she can't help but talk with an American accent but in Britain she'll slip into something more english sounding, a bit strange but that's just what she does apparently.

She has said that it's because when she moved to Michigan people made fun of her English accent so she switched to a local one, and she just maintained the practice of accent switching.

Hmm another 8/10 ... I'd get bored a few times but I don't judge episodes on boredom because it mostly depends on my mood, and I'm aware my mood was horrid when I saw this.

The Lexus film was absolutely wonderful ! WONDERFUL ! I don't know why exactly, but Jeremy made it feel brilliant. And I'm glad he got the chance to drive his favorite Lexus on TopGear, again. He should've done the original track review.

The guest was delightful and the interview was quite alright.
And the pick-up truck film, well .. When it began I went "Oh here we go, another cinematographic treat for our eyes!" .. And, I did get some enjoyment from the filming, to be fair. Quite funny too.