[22x07] March 8th, 2015

[22x07] March 8th, 2015

• Total voters
I couldn't believe how good this week's episode was; I know the rest of this series so far has already been from excellent to amazing (bar episode 1, which was just "meh"), but I honestly couldn't fault this week's.

The Jaguar twin test was cool and I couldn't help but feel that, despite all of its flaws meaning it's actually NOT a great car, I liked the F-Type R. Dunno, just seems to be a British muscle car - loud, proud, brash. The Eagle Low Drag was pretty cool too, but given the choice, I'd either have a Speedster for ?250k less, or an original E-Type roadster for about ?100k. Also, anyone else feel like Clarkson was taking the p*** when saying how "too fabulous for words" the EXTREMELY crappy clear-purple-piece-of-perspex sun visors are? Sorry, went off on a tangent. Either way, liked this bit and unimpressed but not surprised by the average lap time. Also, liked the cheeky Argentina reference on the Stig :)

The news was decent, with reference to a lot of cars I found interesting, some genuinely good banter and even a genuinely funny almost Argentina/Falklands reference xD

The MX-5 segment was good too, with gorgeous scenery and some genuine journalism from Hammond for once, not just childish squealing. Doesn't seem fair to compare the Mazda to the 4C, which costs 2.5 times as much, has 110 more BHP, and is designed to be fast. But I liked the mk4 MX-5; glad they've gone back to their Caterham-like "Simplify and add rightness" (eh? eh? anyone...?) philosophy from the mk1. Is genuinely small and light, unlike the massive, slightly chubby mk3. Liked the review, liked the car. 'Nuff said.

SIARPC - never heard of them, not that interesting, always just an excuse to go and get a drink. Moving on...

The rallycross segment was one of my favourite Top Gear segments in a LONG time; loved seeing the track, cars and drivers I've seen in the flesh multiple times over the years, and the TG America fanboy in me (yeah shoot me, I think it's good) was squealing at the sight of James and Tanner being on screen at the same time. The racing was cool to watch, Pinky and Perky's interfering was funny and when Tanner was closing in on James, I was genuinely tense and on the edge of my seat. Although I would have liked to see just a bit more reference to American TG (possibly a little montage or something), was just chuffed to see Foust on UK TG.

Overall, a solid-as-a-rock episode for me. Nothing I didn't like and everything was quality. Jeremy driving fast in a cloud of tyre smoke, Hammond enjoying something zippy and small and James being somewhat technical and generally knowledgeable, whilst also continuing to dip his toes into the world of speed. If TG could consistently put out episodes this good, I'd be a VERY happy bunny :)

So if you're a car fan or just wish Top Gear was back to the standards of "the good old days", any of Series 22 will do (since it's all be pretty awesome), but episode 7 goes down in history for me as one of their best ever. Forget "Britain's fattest essex gypsy wife in the jungle answering a quiz to win a million pounds factor on ice", THIS is why I sit down to watch TV of a weekend :)

Last edited:
My thoughts at the time too! If you stood back and squinted at a pale yellow Viva and Hammond's Kadet, you'd think they were the same.

Reactions: rps