[22x07] March 8th, 2015

[22x07] March 8th, 2015

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Sorry, was out of the house and not able to make this thread until now.

Discuss!

A 10 from me.

This was Top Gear perfection. I enjoyed every second of it, wasn't distracted by my phone or anything, and was genuinely sad when it was over.

I didn't care about the guest, but even that managed to be entertaining in its own little way.

And I want both Jags.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't put the Eagle round that track. Insurance reasons, I guess.
Hm. Alfa vs MX5. Find something for James and Series 23 will have a proper adventure.
Bit of a shame that Tanner didn't take along Rut and Adam for his spotters, but oh well.

That Eagle has captivated me. Those magnesium wheels....

They could have saved a whole minute of airtime at the start of the news by saying "We caved to Ferrari."

I don't want this series to end.

Seriously. Great episode after great episode. This one is between a 7 and 8 for me, but it's a *hard* 7 or 8, grading on the curve of this series as a whole (thus far). Great review of both the F-Type R and the Eagle, and a nice pleasant surprise with the Miata review (I don't look up the previews, I prefer to be surprised). My my, after years of not doing any car reviews away from the track, they certainly have been busy with them of late. I love it. The rallycross bit was also entertaining. The news started "meh", but then they did another car-nerd montage towards the end which I loved. The guest was "meh" (holy monotone, Batman), but that's it.

Proper, old school episode with the perfect blend of car stuff and comedy. Only thing that kinda bothered me was during the Jag film Jeremy compared the Eagle to a GT86 in a drag race...the Eagle has 150HP more and it's probably lighter also so it was obvious it was gonna win; I don't understand why Jeremy was acting like the Toyota stood a chance. I was also very happy to hear that the Tri-HYper Car test is gonna happen; Ferrari always likes to prepare their car before any tests, but McLaren and Porsche will also get that chance so it should be fair. When it actually does happen I would like them to swap cars, so everyone gets a nice taste of each one, so they can form the best final verdict. :D

Last edited:
Best episode in the series for me, although with the Jag film I might be biased. I agree with most of the complaints Jeremy had, squeaky seat (I'm 6'3"), the touchscreen sucks, blind spots are huge. However as a daily driver, it is very easy to drive the Coupe R quietly. Take it out of dynamic mode, have the sport exhaust off and it is quiet. No more crazy growl or fireworks out the back.

Guest was pretty fun.

The rally cross film was exciting. Glad to see Tanner showing how it should be done. :) Now hopefully we get a 6th season of TG: US.

They could have saved a whole minute of airtime at the start of the news by saying "We caved to Ferrari."

Agreed. When they said Ferrari had warmed up to the idea and proceeded to say they're doing what Ferrari wanted in the first place that was a :| moment.

9/10 for the rest, though.

And me personally I think I'd like the Jag being shouty all the time.

Loved the Eagle, nice seeing Tanner, disappointed that all we saw of Petter was a two second shot. I laughed when James was yelling as Tanner got closer and closer. :)

I would like them to swap cars, so everyone gets a nice taste of each one, so they can form the best final verdict. :D

Agreed. They almost never do that and I wish they would. More insights into the car are always welcome.

F-type and Eagle were great, MX-5 was great and the rallycross film looked like it would be great until Pinky and Porky turned up and ruined it. I wanted to see what James could do when given a fair chance.

Last edited:
Pretty good episode, had some good reviews and then the James May rally cross was quite good too I felt like James May could have done a bit better had he been given a proper spotter but I guess they had 2 serious films so they needed to inject some school boy humour into the last one or something. I think this series of Top Gear is showing that all series should have 10 episodes, it just gives the episodes some room to breath a bit they can do more stuff... and stuff. Reminds me of the 10th series but with better shooting and older presenters.

wtf was that drag race about.

Well both cars drive off the line as quickly as possible and at the end of it you can see that one of them is faster than the other car.

Last edited:
Rather disappointing lap time from the F-type R. 200 more horses, but the same time as a Cayman GTS.

How can they talk about Geneva and not mention Koenigsegg? :?

Anyway, great episode, rallycross looks really fun!

I think it is important to remember the following.
The Cayman GTS is a lighter mid engined car which is setup for handling, The F-type is set up for big noises and big slides.
The F-type isn't all that far off a Carrera GT which is pretty impressive for that Cayman as well and it's the same as an Audi R8 V10.

FType-Jag.jpg

In the cold light of day I gave it a 7. Nothing particularly wrong with it but it felt a little lacklustre somehow.