[22x09] March 22nd, 2015

nickgeorge25

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May look at the world of fashionable, ?lifestyle? sport utility vehicles, as they find out how much trendy SUV you can get for just a few hundred pounds. With Clarkson in a Vauxhall Frontera, Hammond in a Jeep Cherokee and May in a Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin, the trio embark on a series of challenges to see who got the best deal - taking in caravanning, watersports and a fearsome off-road challenge which comes with a heavy penalty for the loser. Also in this week?s show, Jeremy is on the road and at the track in a trio of ultra-luxury limos, and Superman star Henry Cavill tries his hand in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Who wants to start a fight with me on this thread? Come on! MWF, where are you ya frail sack of bones? I know you dislike my opinion on pretty much everything.

Finally I got to know that the Shogun is in fact Pajero. :) James' review of the new 911 Turbo is left for the last epizode.

Last edited:
I just remembered, according to the magazine previews in January, one of the limos Jeremy is testing is the new Flying Spur. I suspect the other two would be along the likes of the S63 AMG, new XJR and maybe even the series II Phantom.

And I totally forgot. The Cool Wall seems to be back!

Last edited:
I just remembered, according to the magazine previews in January, one of the limos Jeremy is testing is the new Flying Spur. I suspect the other two would be along the likes of the S63 AMG, new XJR and maybe even the series II Phantom.

No, the Phantom competes against the Bentley Mulsanne and maybe the new S600 Maybach.The Bentley Flying Spur,the Jaguar XJR and the Mercedes S63 AMG are way cheaper than the big Rolls.

If one of the limos is the Flying Spur the other two limos would probably be a german car like the non AMG S-class or the 7-series or something british like the Rolls Royce Ghost.

Judging from the fact that they're gonna do "caravanning" in the SUV challenge, I'm going to expect cocking about and destruction (not that there's anything wrong with destruction, but the whole "caravans hold everybody up and are unnecessary" point I think was brought out pretty well in 20x05 and doesn't need to be rehashed again). Fingers crossed though, because I was really excited when I read the magazine preview, saying that they were going to buy cheap SUVs to see if they could be a cheap but equally as trendy alternative to expensive ones like the Evoque.

Where do you get that idea from? I can't see any reference to it. Might be the Alzheimer's.

This episode doesn't sound too bad either. I actually think I'm yet to not to fully enjoy an episode of Top Gear this series.

Jeep Cherokee. Is that what the U.S. got and was called the Liberty? That thing is shit.

Where do you get that idea from? I can't see any reference to it. Might be the Alzheimer's.
Sorry. I had opened three different new episodes in adjacent tabs and ended up posting the link in the wrong episode's thread.

I quote myself:

Behind-the-scenes for ep.9 on the TG website :-

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/behind-the-scenes-episode-7-series-22-top-gear-2015-03-06

I can definitely sense a Jeremy-Alfa 4C vs Hammond-Mazda MX5 argument boiling up. Should be good!
Keep looking through the pictures.

Thanks. I wouldn't get too excited about the Cool Wall. It's a studio prop that they have in there for the recordings but it's rumoured that Clarkson hates it and doesn't want to do it any more and after such a long gap I would be surprised if they revived it. Not that I would mind if they did as I always enjoyed that bit.

Clarkson hates it? Seems hard to believe. I mean he always seemed to have lots of fun teasing the audience. It was/is one of the Top Gear trademarks. And since he doesn't seem to mind making an idiot of himself in their films...

Clarkson hates it? Seems hard to believe. I mean he always seemed to have lots of fun teasing the audience. It was/is one of the Top Gear trademarks. And since he doesn't seem to mind making an idiot of himself in their films...

Definitely "was" a trademark. When was the last one anyway?

I think the focus is clearly much more on the films now. They used to look around cars in the studio but even that rarely happens these days. I guess the other problem with the Cool Wall is that all the typical stereotypes are well drilled in and so I think it'll be very similar to previous entries.

[22x09] March 22nd, 2015

So why not make the full step and get rid of the audience all together? I mean it's hard to miss that a lot of the "ooooh's" and "aaaaah's" come from tape anyway...

So why not make the full step and get rid of the audience all together? I mean it's hard to miss that a lot of the "ooooh's" and "aaaaah's" come from tape anyway...

Noticed that the audience just gets noisier and noisier? I miss the days when the show starts and they just get straight into it. Yes stop cheering we get Top Gear lives on but Hammond's near death experience was over 7 years ago.

Definitely "was" a trademark. When was the last one anyway?

I think the focus is clearly much more on the films now. They used to look around cars in the studio but even that rarely happens these days. I guess the other problem with the Cool Wall is that all the typical stereotypes are well drilled in and so I think it'll be very similar to previous entries.

I think those changes happened for a couple of reasons. As the show grew the could afford more exotic stuff so cheap studio fillers like the Cool Wall were no longer required. Also in the early days you could pretty much rely on the whole audience being proper "car people". Since the popularity grew you get more average oiks in the audience who probably can't be trusted not to nick the Volvo switchgear out of the latest Aston.

I still like having the audience. I think having the three of them in an empty hangar would be incredibly strange.

That said, I completely agree on the canned laughter. There's one particular laugh/chuckle that has been in every episode for about 5 years that particularly gets on my nerves.

At 1:06 is a ha-ha-ha short giggle that goes up and down in pitch... I thought I was the only one that noticed this, but it is so damn annoying. It's not the only laugh, all the oooo and hhaaaa recording is just plain dumb.