[23x01] May 29th, 2016 -- First Episode With New Cast

[23x01] May 29th, 2016 -- First Episode With New Cast

• Total voters
Well now I can finally write about the episode.

First off, the positive things:
-MLB and his relaxed and easy style
-Filmography is just what we expected
-Gordon Ramsay please adopt me as your child. I will curse every 3.2 seconds if necessary for evertything.

Then, the bad things:
-The rest of the show

Overall, I did not like it because of CE voice pitch (my brain wanted to blow to hell when he spoke) and because I expected a more polished package, but there were many details that stole the soul out of this. I want to give them their first season as a trial, if they fail at least they tried.

On the other hand, CHMW better get their balls in place, they MUST be better than this.

As well as the ratings, in the UK we have what is called the AI figure- basically, audience appreciation. I have no idea how it's worked out, but I do know that TV bosses take a LOT of notice of it; fans of shows like Doctor Who actively obsess over the AI figure every week. A good AI figure would I believe be 80 or above. Want to know what Evans' Top Gear got?

If you don't have a source for that figure, I assume it's made up. The BBC doesn't publicly publicize those figures.

I'd just like to say that I have hope for improvement. A better choice of music would be a start.

If you don't have a source for that figure, I assume it's made up. The BBC doesn't publicly publicize those figures.

I'm not sure how someone gets hold of the "Appreciation Index" figures but as mentioned above, for Doctor Who they're all over the web. The AI figures have been talked about in years gone by:
https://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-2002-2015/top-gear-trying-too-hard-17205/page-3/#post415103

Those figures are old now and were taken from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100407233745/http://upyourego.com/topgear_ratings.htm

Only up to season 9 but the lowest in the early years was low 70's and went up to mid 80's, I'm guessing it's stayed around the 80 mark ever since.

If this latest score of 60 is true, that is a humongous slap in the face to Chris Evan and everyone involved with Top Gear at the BBC.

Wouldn't episode 2 also have been recorded in the studio before Episode 1 went out on Sunday? If that's the case we could end up with more of the same from Evans this week because IF he decides to take some of the criticisms on board and change a few things about his performance, it won't be until episode 3.

Jezza reacting after watching Flop Gear
1535.gif

Hamster reacting after watching Flop Gear
tumblr_ljuuht0BHB1qh2mpqo1_400.gif

James May reacting after watching Flop Gear
tumblr_lnj6ukwtIu1qgcopeo1_r1_250.gif

I wish people would stop trying to speak for the hosts with "GIF" images and clips. Fact is only May has even acknowledged the new show and apparently he liked it Afterwards, May told MailOnline that he was a ?massive fan? of the show but would not comment on the show?s bad reviews.
He even tweeted about it beforehand I'm really looking forward to watching Top Gear without knowing what happens in the end. #NoSpoilerAlert

Last edited:
Genuinely surprised by Matt LeBlanc - I actually liked him. He reminds me of Hammond.
Hated Chris Evans. He is incredibly annoying.
The Viper/Corvette race was pretty badly scripted.
Skipped SIARPC.
The Jeep/LR bit was a letdown - they couldn't done better.

4/10

Gave it a 3. Evans can hopefully continue his radio job after he loses this one. He has a personality, (face) for radio. Seems to be the consensus that LeBlanc's Nomad segment saved the show and who am I to argue with the masses. The audience seems forced and the music sucked. Will continue to watch even with most of it being so horribly scripted. Good luck Chris Evans. (Not Captain America Chris Evans, silly people who attack through social media.)

I wish people would stop trying to speak for the hosts with "GIF" images and clips. Fact is only May has even acknowledged the new show and apparently he liked it Afterwards, May told MailOnline that he was a ?massive fan? of the show but would not comment on the show?s bad reviews.
He even tweeted about it beforehand I'm really looking forward to watching Top Gear without knowing what happens in the end. #NoSpoilerAlert

TBH, I don't think JC would be gloating. If he were sitting in exile, on his laurels (so to speak), it might be a different matter, but I gather working on GT (as well as his usual columns) is taking up so much of his time there's not enough to do a proper gloat.

And even if he did, he usually gloats when (a) he's proven right about something (and let's be honest, he's not said anything disparaging about TGCE), or (b) he's pulled off something despite other people predicting he'd screw up. Not when something he's on record as hating comes up a cropper -- and he's not on record as hating Chris Evans.

Not to mention it's simply not in any of their personalities (at least the part they show on television and online) to gloat, if anything I think they handled the whole 'our TopGear has ended' thing like proper gentlemen.

It's pretty clear Amazon nabbed all talent from the show. Keep Matt, throw everything else out the window and reset.

6/10 from me.
Just hope that TGT is that bit better, or else the destruction of one massively successful show will result in two pale fragments of average quality :(

I watch it again, and Matt Le Blanc looks like Terminator in the three wheeler...

Am I the only one who got a deja vu feeling at that moment?

Positives - nil
Negatives - everything

Inane rubbish, worse than Top Gear Australia at it's worst. Curiosity is the only excuse one could use to watch the second episode.
They should've bought back Quentin Wilson, William Wollard and Steve Berry .. made a motoring magazine show (like in the olde days), saved millions of pounds and made something worth watching rather than insulting the audience with this poorly done parody of three middle aged men who have run out of ideas.