[23x01] May 29th, 2016

teeb

Car(s)
old Saab 9-3 coup?
Rory Reid and Chris Harris present a half-hour extra show, combining extra with behind-the-scenes. Find them all here

Already more enjoyable than the main show - we saw construction of the rallycross track (meh), Chris Harris take the Nomad for a TG lap (interesting), the new Mini driven round the circuit (vaguely interesting), and another Star in a Reasonably Priced Car (blah). This is where the news has ended up - with Rory and Chris, much more interesting than Chris Evans would have done it. More factual and less cocking about than 'old' Top Gear News. And finally Sabine driving Rory round the 'ring in a Porsche GT3 RS.

Having said that, already I much prefer Rory Reid presenting to Chris Evans. I wish Rory and Chris were in the main show rather than relegated to the internet-only spinoff.

I think this show should be more unscripted. The only necesary thing in it should be the news, for everything else, give Chris some cars and a crew, do some sideways action, and make rory do story pieces like sabines garage/saloon stuff. also the low number of audience reminds me of first seasons of Top Gear, but so far it just feels sorta rushed.

Last edited:
It did feel a bit short, could have done with being 10 - 15 minutes longer.On the plus side Chris H and Rory have the makings of a good double act.

Should we have separate threads for these or should discussion be in the main thread? I'm thinking the main thread.

Wait this is good. Rory and Chris need to do the news on the real show.

They did the studio stuff quite well on this. I think their guests should have to do a lap as well though and maybe they could have some power laps on their show so it could be better to do a 50 minute show for Extra Gear as well but anyway it was also all right.

I think seperate discussions for these sounds good.
Just watched or skipped through the new top gear episode and followed with this directly after. This episode is as good as the top gear episode was bad.
I really enjoyed it, an entertaining and interesting mix of information and insights. This is what I expect from Top Gear, not the screaming Chris Evans trying to follow his script for an hour.
Chris Harris, Rory Reid AND Matt LeBlanc, that could be a combination worth seeing.

...I wish Rory and Chris were in the main show rather than relegated to the internet-only spinoff.

I agree. I hope that BBC bosses won't take too long to realize that these are the guys to take the show forward. :blink:

They've relegated all the interesting petrolhead stuff to Extraneous Gear. That does a disservice to the actual TG show and makes it look condescending, but as a show I like EG a lot more.

They've relegated all the interesting petrolhead stuff to Extraneous Gear. That does a disservice to the actual TG show and makes it look condescending, but as a show I like EG a lot more.

I think you nailed it in the head.
This sounds like "those anoraks can get all their actual information from here, with their Messiah, Chris Harris. The bigger show will be all about a radio host shouting and doing stupid stuff."

Should we have separate threads for these or should discussion be in the main thread? I'm thinking the main thread.

I think it's different enough that it deserves its own thread.

Discussion of Extra Gear is also going to get lost in the main thread amongst the people discussing the main episode itself.

I think it's different enough that it deserves its own thread.

Discussion of Extra Gear is also going to get lost in the main thread amongst the people discussing the main episode itself.

Actually It should probably have it's own subsections since it is technically a seperate show with different hosts.

Xtra Gear is basically what's left of the heart of Top Gear. Since I'm sure Chris Evans has a big fat contract with the main show, he won't be leaving anytime soon. So what I'm hoping happens is that they make episodes of Xtra longer and turn it into a 100% web based series with a paid subscription model for those outside the UK.

The fact that I would actually spend money to watch a TV show just tells you how badly I want this to happen, lol.

Okay... Who's the braindead executive who thought that crap with Evans should be the main top gear while this little gem became the "extra"??

Reid and Harris feel natural on screen, they are relaxed. The news was good, Harris on the nomad was great (he can talk while driving! :-o ), the rallycross bit with Reid felt really interesting, the moment they sat together for the news there was chemistry between them. And it didn't feel like they were trying to be Hammond or May, they were being themselves.

From now on, in my head, THIS is the new Top Gear, that steaming pile of shit with Evans is the spinoff.

If I may make a suggestion, I think we could have a poll for Xtra gear too. And you know what? I'll give it a 7/10. maybe even 8/10 if they had made it 1 hour long.

PS: Oh my God, Sabine lives in Back to the Future 3 :lol:

Last edited:
That wasn't the N?rburgring, that was just some country roads. :p :D

Anyway, what the others have said. Extra Gear was far more enjoyable than Top Gear. Reid and Harris did a far better job in the studio than Evans and LeBlanc.

So I hope someone can help me out I might be being thick but at the beginning of the news piece it said 5 new models from crv? To which Chris replied I'll believe it when I see it... What were they talking about crv means nothing to me.........
Just wondered. Thanks

So I hope someone can help me out I might be being thick but at the beginning of the news piece it said 5 new models from crv? To which Chris replied I'll believe it when I see it... What were they talking about crv means nothing to me.........
Just wondered. Thanks

They were talking about the village bicycle of the automotive world: TVR.

That wasn't the N?rburgring, that was just some country roads. :p :D

Barweiler to be precise. That's where Frikadelli Racing is based and her Ranch is near Barweiler too. It was good to see that they gave her a somewhat better introduction than on the main show where she was, well, just there. I've been a big fan of hers since her first 24h N?rburgring wich, amazingly, was 20 years ago. She certainly doesn't look her age :cool: However, and that's why I've been sceptical since the start, her English is way too bad and the accent is atrocious. Couldn't the BBC at least invest in some language courses for her.

I've never understood why so many of my country(wo)men don't get rid of that hideous German accent. Granted, it takes a long time to learn 'th' properly, and most of the time you end up looking like someone who came third in a wet t-shirt contest, because you drool all over yourself, but it is possible, and frankly, I would expect it from someone who appears on TV.

Last edited: