[23x02] June 5th, 2016

[23x02] June 5th, 2016

• Total voters
I have sufficient albohol at hand to consider rubbernecking at this particular pile-up.

I have sufficient albohol at hand to consider rubbernecking at this particular pile-up.

Ooh, shall we make a drinking game?

• Drink whenever Evans shouts unnecessarily.
  • Drink whenever Evans turns to the audience.
  • Drink whenever LeBlanc speaks quietly/unenthusiastically.
  • Drink whenever LeBlanc makes a stupid American joke.
  • Drink whenever you catch yourself about to fast-forward through something.
  • Finish your drink if you DO fast-forward through something.

Winner is whomever doesn't die of alcohol poisoning.

Reactions: MWF
I will be watching it "live" so winding through the shit isn't an option unless I wait a while.

I picked the wrong weekend to stay sober....

'Tonight! I get even LOUDER!

*sigh*

Can I just shoot this clown?

Last edited:
Went in open-minded. Turned off after 25 minutes.

Eddie Jordan doesn't appear to have any function - feels like he said almost nothing and was treated more like a guest.
Still can't stand Chris Evans - sorry, I know it's not funny or original, but hey.
SIARPC is far too long and far too crowded. Feels even longer than in original TG.
Again, everything is copied from old Top Gear - spilt drinks challenge we've seen before. Racing in abandoned streets, yes. Blah blah blah.
Nothing entertaining about a bunch of celebrities thrown in for no reason - Jenson Button, Seasick Steve, Sharleen Spiteri, Tinie Tempah? Get out the way. Piss off.

Matt LeBlanc is still good. I still like Chris, Sabine and Rory - but no sign of any of them at any point in the stretch that I watched.

The McLaren package was the best bit of new TG.
Guest segment wasn't too bad.
Africa trip was ok, but a bit rough around the edges. Good that some of the old TG crap was missing.

Maybe a six or seven.

Rating maybe a little higher than last week?

Main thing is that patient isn't dead and shows signs of waking up...

Again, everything is copied from old Top Gear - spilt drinks challenge we've seen before. Racing in abandoned streets, yes. Blah blah blah.
Nothing entertaining about a bunch of celebrities thrown in for no reason - Jenson Button, Seasick Steve, Sharleen Spiteri, Tinie Tempah? Get out the way. Piss off.

New TG, has elements of Old TG. Surprise!!!!!!

Having a few musicians as passengers was better than some of the old TG that used random silent nobodies as trip passengers. Anyway the musicians were supposed to be the reason for the trip.

Last edited:
Oh dear! Poor Eddie Jordan just looked like a bewildered escapee from an old folks home.

As for the Damian Lewis interview; does Evans really need other people there to help him out?

I did enjoy Jenson Button in the McLaren; better if Evans wasn't in there with him.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Matt LeBlanc may still be the best thing in this show. :wall:

Graham Norton, do you really need all your guests coming in at the same time?

I would give this a modest 7 out of 10. Felt it was a vast improvement. I quite enjoyed it, particularly the Off-roader part.

Slightly better this week, but the guest segment is still waaay too long, and Evans is still a shouty twat. LeBlanc continues to be a nice surprise.

It all started so well with Evans laid out and quiet on a hospital trolley, then he got off and opened his mouth to ruin things.

Definitely an improvement over last week, no thanks to Chris Evans, though. He's still annoying as hell. I guess it would be half as bad if he wouldn't try to shout over the audience and simply wait until they quiet down.

One quote from the McLaren review kinda stuck on me: "Hammerhead has never been more fun". I mean seriously: Who wrote that line for him because it cannot come from personal experience?

The SUV film was okay-ish. But why did they need co-drivers in the first place? No idea. Why did they choose the diesel versions? No idea. It all didn't seem much like a challenge to me, it all seemed quite pointless and in a controlled environment. I guess there is no way they would have let those celebrities drive around South Africa under uncontrolled conditions... The old "We cheat to win" routine gets a bit worn out as well. Overall nothing new, nothing to impress me. And there is a nagging feeling that much was smoothed in editing, especially the final bit with the dirt road. Beautiful landscape, though.

Star in a rallye-cross car was waaaaaaaay too long. It honestly looked to me as if they had a lot of time to fill. Still cannot be bothered with the new course.

Overall a slight improvement over last week, so 6/10 from me. And I couldn't help thinking "What do they need so many people for?"

MUCH better than the last one. Evans was significantly toned down. And LeBlanc was toned... up?

The McLaren segment was decent. Evans gave some informative information instead of just yelling. But of course Jenson Button sealed the deal.

The African trip was pretty good. LeBlanc and Jordan were probably the most fun to watch, but Evans wasn't too bad. The challenge of capturing wildlife photos with reverse cameras was fucking hilarious. Never expected anyone to get anything. Was kinda bummed LeBlanc didn't get any credit for his zebras.

The Star in the Rally Prepared Car (see what I did there?) was okay, but too long, and non-sensical. Was there a reason that Seasick Steve didn't do a lap? And Evans randomly making the stars compete with their first car, their favorite car, etc, by polling the audience was still rather patronizing. Kinda wished they'd done more with Damian Lewis.

I'd say it was on-par with some of the crappier old Top Gear episodes. I'd give it a 5/10. Woulda given it a 6/10 if the SIARPC hadn't sucked so much.

At least now we have an idea of what the rally track's like:

wrlXymw.jpg

McLaren segment was ok, but could have been done longer becuse they had 6! mclaren cars at their disposale. It is actually extended in Extra Gear, so how do I rate this thing...
South Africa was bland, and musicians were a bad decision, they need to build their personas, not sharing screen time with guests. Eddie just doesn't cut it as a host,...
SIARPC segment is still bad. Just have a fucking interview with a person. Evans is a god damn radio host, he can talk and interview people, doesnt he?

It was better but only just. Still not worth watching. Next week is Harris with F12 TdF.

Definitely enjoyed this one more than last week's. 8/10 for me (where's the poll?)

The camera and editing is still top notch. That head-on shot of Chris driving the F1 was great and the footage from Africa is, as always, superb.

The McLaren film felt like old new Top Gear, as did the Africa film. I liked the addition of the co-drivers, but it shouldn't become a regular thing. Still hate the use of Jessica during the SIARCC intro. I didn't mind the multiple guests so much this time, but I still think they need to get back to one guest at a time at soon. Maybe they're using multiple guests to quickly fill up the lap time board rather than do a separate film where they invite a bunch of people over like old new Top Gear did.

LeBlanc is getting better with the voice overs. Chris was less shouty and his voice overs weren't as annoying as last week's.

Don't like that the show opening with the presenters walking onto set. Waste of time and feels awkward, although sedating Chris was a brilliant idea.

Loved Seasick Steve's story about his 49 Ford.

The first episode was one I felt I couldn't recommend to friends. I think I could recommend this one to friends.

Poll added.