[23x02] June 5th, 2016

[23x02] June 5th, 2016

• Total voters
I actually gave this episode a 1 compared to last weeks 3. It still stunk but SIARPC was better. Absolute shame there turn around for editing studio segments is 2 weeks. I think this may be another Conan O'brien situation. CE tried it out and stinks. I don't think he will keep this job and understand why he hasn't given up his radio gig. (Somewhat smart man but as I said about last weeks ep. he should stick to radio.)

[23x02] June 5th, 2016

I'm quite "surprised" that the people who kept saying that Evansgear would be crap before they'd even seen it are now finding it so. :lol:

Anyway, interesting development of the format. More please... and that's also true for my video which stopped playing after about three quarters of an hour. :cry:

Maybe you should watch some older Top Gear from time to time.

The difference between the old crew is not only in character but also in competence and devotion. All three of the former presenters have been skilled, professional journalists. You can tell the difference by the first two minutes of the old TG episode above. And they were ultimately willing to risk their health and their lives for their audience. People notice that and that's what created a huge fan base.

Chris Evans is a radio DJ who apparently tries to save some of his key competence in the overlong star in whatever car section, while appearing more like a game show host for the rest of the time.

Matt LeBlanc is an actor who obviously does a good job playing a car show presenter but it's still an act.

Both are not what I would call car experts, you can tell that other people write the stuff they say ("Hammerhead has never been this exciting" is something Chris could not have come up with for sure) and if you rewatch Chris' first appearance on Top Gear as SIARPC in series 6 (I think), he blatantly admitted that he likes to collect cars to look at them but not to drive them.

I believe that Chris Evans hosts Top Gear now not because of passion and because he loves cars and the show. I believe he saw/sees it as a huge career opportunity, inheriting a 350 million people worldwide audience. And I think he completely underestimated the task he accepted.

That would also explain his spiteful comments on criticism and viewing figures: He knows that things don't go as planned and reacts with growing tension.

Last edited:
It's too early to make a call two episodes in, particularly since those two were recorded before the first had even aired. I liked some of what I saw, which is good, and just find it funny how predictable the sulking CHM worshippers are.

It's too early to make a call two episodes in, particularly since those two were recorded before the first had even aired. I liked some of what I saw, which is good, and just find it funny how predictable the sulking CHM worshippers are.

I think there is potential, the funny thing is listen to them complain about literally everything even the theme music. Of all their ideas the Rallycross car I actually thought was a good one, the interview bit is crap but the rallycross mini is good. Most people here didn't even like Star in a reasonably price car on the old show.

I think there is potential, the funny thing is listen to them complain about literally everything even the theme music.
Yup. If Evansgear copies some aspect of CHM TG, it's "How dare they?" If Evansgear does something new, it's "I want old TG back!" When Evans gets as excited as Clarkson or Hammond used to get, he's annoying. If he didn't get excited, it'd be "proof that his heart isn't in it" or some such. And all because people still think he stole the show.

[23x02] June 5th, 2016

As you might have noticed, I tried to reason and use arguments.

Top Gear was special to me because of the way it was made and presented. The last thing this planet needs, is "just another car show", even if it's called "Top Gear".

Maybe Top Gear never reached you in the way it reached me (and others) on a non-factual level, maybe all you really want is a show about cars. If that is what you wish, okay.

But I want more. I want the X-factor, so to speak, and currently Top Gear doesn't have it. That's not just a matter of feeling or fanboyism, no. It is very clear and can be discussed with FACTS, why the new Top Gear might be a successor of the previous Top Gear but not a substitute.

And if you start something new, then do it properly, for god's sake, and don't just attempt to cook after a recipe others came up with.

Last edited:
Except the idiotic long and dull interview, i acutally enjoyed this episode! The McLaren bit was fun, and the SUV-challenges was watchable as well. Interesting to se the cars be used outside the city, and some very nice scenery. LeBlanc is still very good, and Evans is ok when not screaming.

But felt the SUV-part was a bit rushed, the should have used more time on the SUVs and less time on the dull interview. But still, a great improvement from the first show!

Maybe Top Gear never reached you in the way it reached me (and others) on a non-factual level, maybe all you really want is a show about cars. If that is what you wish, okay.
The non-factual level was the main reason why I liked CHM TG. I hope it will turn out to be a reason to like Evansgear and The Grand Tour.

I want the X-factor, so to speak, and currently Top Gear doesn't have it.
Agreed, which is precisely the reason why I think it's too early to write Evansgear off. I don't expect its second ever episode to have the same level of chemistry that CHM had after 21 series. That would be highly unfair, not least because even after that much time, CHM were perfectly capable of producing cringeworthy crap.

I'm a bit baffled about people giving this episode a 9/10, basically implying it's almost perfect and that there is no real need for improvement.

The difference between the old crew is not only in character but also in competence and devotion. All three of the former presenters have been skilled, professional journalists. You can tell the difference by the first two minutes of the old TG episode above. And they were ultimately willing to risk their health and their lives for their audience. People notice that and that's what created a huge fan base.

Chris Evans is a radio DJ who apparently tries to save some of his key competence in the overlong star in whatever car section, while appearing more like a game show host for the rest of the time.

Matt LeBlanc is an actor who obviously does a good job playing a car show presenter but it's still an act.

Both are not what I would call car experts, you can tell that other people write the stuff they say ("Hammerhead has never been this exciting" is something Chris could not have come up with for sure) and if you rewatch Chris' first appearance on Top Gear as SIARPC in series 6 (I think), he blatantly admitted that he likes to collect cars to look at them but not to drive them.

I believe that Chris Evans hosts Top Gear now not because of passion and because he loves cars and the show. I believe he saw/sees it as a huge career opportunity, inheriting a 350 million people worldwide audience. And I think he completely underestimated the task he accepted.

That would also explain his spiteful comments on criticism and viewing figures: He knows that things don't go as planned and reacts with growing tension.

You've summed up there exactly the thoughts I've been having. It's the precise reason why CE and MLB don'twork yet Harris and Rorry do on Extra Gear.

The non-factual level was the main reason why I liked CHM TG. I hope it will turn out to be a reason to like Evansgear and The Grand Tour.

Agreed, which is precisely the reason why I think it's too early to write Evansgear off. I don't expect its second ever episode to have the same level of chemistry that CHM had after 21 series. That would be highly unfair, not least because even after that much time, CHM were perfectly capable of producing cringeworthy crap.

I'm not writing it off. If 1 out of 10 likes it, it has a place on TV.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't go well if you cook after a proven recipe but leave away some of the important ingredients. Better create your own recipe and that is what I said from the beginning.

And the fact that it hasn't been done, that the BBC and Chris Evans obviously didn't want to risk their cash cow, tells me that their main goal is the money and not the show. And it shows, because it cannot be missed that neither Evans nor LeBlanc have got the talent or the competence to believably pull it off.

I stay with my judgement that the new Top Gear is sterile and will remain sterile. They will not pull evil practical jokes on each other, they will not make politically incorrect jokes, they won't destroy things just for fun and they will never do anything that leads them far away from the comforts of a 5-star hotel.

In short: They won't do anything that made Top Gear unique and turned it into a worldwide phenomenon. The Britons can now have it back.

And yes, of course CHM messed up from time to time. But frankly I still enjoyed the India Special or the art gallery episode more than these two new Chris Evans episodes.

Yup. If Evansgear copies some aspect of CHM TG, it's "How dare they?" If Evansgear does something new, it's "I want old TG back!" When Evans gets as excited as Clarkson or Hammond used to get, he's annoying. If he didn't get excited, it'd be "proof that his heart isn't in it" or some such. And all because people still think he stole the show.

Let me put it this way: Top Gear used to be 3 guys doing stupid stuff with cars.

Clarkson would say "My Ferrari is better because I can do longer slides! And your glorified VW Beetle has the engine in the wrong place!" because he is the stereotypical buffoon that thinks bigger is always better. POWER POWER POWER

James May would be interested in the mechanical aspects of the crappiest car, pretty much the geek that would explain you the difference between a twin turbo setup and a twin-scroll turbo and would provide evidence that some obscure Swedish manufacturer has done that in 1943 while wearing a vintage jacket of said manufacturer.

Hammond was the bridge between them, a typical motoring journalist giving out facts and figures about the cars and doing a more traditional role as a presenter in a motoring show.

In your circle of friends, I bet you have three people exactly like them. I also bet you spent many times wondering (and doing) stupid things with cars while bantering.
It felt like what would happen if me and 2 other friends had a huge budget and connections to get awesome cars, an airfield and a filming crew. The last few episodes were crap too, in my opinion, don't get me wrong, but when they got it right, it was awesome. You felt like you were experiencing three friend having fun with cars.

On the other hand, The Chris Evans show has a guy SHOUTING all the time, almost begging you to like him.

LOOK AT WHAT I AM DRIVING.
LOOK HOW SILLY THIS IS.
DID YOU SEE HOW FUNNY IT WAS WHEN I DID THAT?
NEXT WEEK, WE WILL HAVE TEN PEOPLE IN THE COUCH, BECAUSE MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER, AM I RIGHT?
DID YOU NOTICE HE IS AMERICAN?
INTERNET, I KNOW THAT YOU EXIST.

Clarkson, with all his stupidity and lack of knowledge compared to May and Hammond, still was a guy that liked cars. He cared about them in a mechanical and emotional level. I don't get that from Chris Evans. Like MacGuffing said, Matt LeBlanc is good, but it feels like an actor playing someone who cares. I am fine with that. It's much better than a radio show host trying to appeal to an audience he does not understand because he is not one of them. Put Chris Harris in his place, instead of this stupid side show, and it would improve dramatically, because Harris is a true enthusiast and knows how to convey the excitement of driving fast cars (or any car for that matter) with words and emotions instead of sheer volume.

Whew, that came out longer than I expected. Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:
Evans single-handedly ruined Top Gear. Well done.

I think that the X-factor that we are all missing in this incarnation, its not linked to Top Gear, its Linked to CHM therefore we will not find it in new Top Gear.

To get that X- Factor, will have to wait for The Grand Tour.

Meanwhile, New Top Gear is the only thing available and its a car show. You may like it or not, but don?t compare it with old TopGar, because they are just not comparable

Cheers

I was entertained for 3-4min when Button drove the McLaren and Evans was quiet.
I was completely bored during the guests section.
I was feeling embarrassed when they treat 3 new cars like sh*t, and made a fool out of an F1 legend. Listening to people who doesn't posses any presentation skills.

Please replace Evans with Harris. Evans has enough money, fame and people who hates him. Why need more of that?

Nice cinematography though ... because of that 3/10

Need to spread some well structured arguments

I'm not writing it off. If 1 out of 10 likes it, it has a place on TV.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't go well if you cook after a proven recipe but leave away some of the important ingredients. Better create your own recipe and that is what I said from the beginning.

And the fact that it hasn't been done, that the BBC and Chris Evans obviously didn't want to risk their cash cow, tells me that their main goal is the money and not the show. And it shows, because it cannot be missed that neither Evans nor LeBlanc have got the talent or the competence to believably pull it off.

I stay with my judgement that the new Top Gear is sterile and will remain sterile. They will not pull evil practical jokes on each other, they will not make politically incorrect jokes, they won't destroy things just for fun and they will never do anything that leads them far away from the comforts of a 5-star hotel.

In short: They won't do anything that made Top Gear unique and turned it into a worldwide phenomenon. The Britons can now have it back.

And yes, of course CHM messed up from time to time. But frankly I still enjoyed the India Special or the art gallery episode more than these two new Chris Evans episodes.
You actually believe that CMH sleeped in those tents on those trips. That is so cute.

I mean, it looked pretty convincing.

5/10

Unfunny, anodyne, character-less, unoriginal, blunted twaddle.