240SX Time Attack Build

ohay guise look wot I got

IMG00247.jpg

Still won't save you from rectal destruction if the chair fails.

I have to admit that before I ever got into my race car I swapped the 5 point harness for a 6 point. I might be old, but I'm still on top terms with the family jewels.

Steve

I have to admit that before I ever got into my race car I swapped the 5 point harness for a 6 point. I might be old, but I'm still on top terms with the family jewels.

Steve
That did occur to me, but it seems like a 6-point would be uncomfortable on the thighs, and the 5-points I've sat in don't usually directly interact with the jewels.

I don't have any experience with 5 point seat harnesses, but I used to have to wear a safety harness for work and yeah, it kind of ... chafed after a while. :(

That did occur to me, but it seems like a 6-point would be uncomfortable on the thighs, and the 5-points I've sat in don't usually directly interact with the jewels.

As soon as someone mentioned the kid that had a testicle severed by the sub strap on a 5 point I pretty much decided I didn't want to be 'that guy.'

Seriously, that sub strap should be pretty tight to start. If it's not, in an impact, you are essentially giving the family jewels a running start. Since harnesses like this don't have tensioners in the way that regular car belts do, it's critical that you have them as tight as possible. I've seen people really heavily bruised by just having their belts 'snug' but not tight.

I pull them tight when I get in the car, and then again on grid before going on track. Literally, they are so tight that at that moment they are fairly uncomfortable, but pretty much as soon as I get onto pit lane, I don't notice that anymore.

Steve

First snag of the stage! Surprised it took this long, really.

IMG00252.jpg

Turns out the seat brackets Corbeau makes for my car are:

- Creatively fitting, at best.

- Sit the seat so high that you have to be about 5'7 to fit in the car

IMG00253.jpg

IMG00254.jpg

Also, the FX1 Pro doesn't look like it would accommodate two sub points; the opening looks just big enough for one.

...and the 5-points I've sat in don't usually directly interact with the jewels.
They do, latest when you crash ;)

Anyways, nice harnesses. Now you just got to get yourself a set of green driftooo-gloves, just like the ones Tsuchiya uses:

sccp_0805_03_z+mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_x+keiichi_tsuchiya.jpg

:D

Last edited:
As soon as someone mentioned the kid that had a testicle severed by the sub strap on a 5 point I pretty much decided I didn't want to be 'that guy.'
I guess I'll just give new meaning to "balls to the wall". ;)

It's now in the cage builder's capable hands. Estimated delivery date is earlyish March... and the seat brackets are going to be modified to make sure they fit.

Now you just got to get yourself a set of green driftooo-gloves, just like the ones Tsuchiya uses
Actually, that was the next tick on this stage's list. A lot of my friends either use Sparco or G-Force. Steve Levin (or anyone else with a suit), what brand do you use? Saferacer has closeout prices on a lot of nice Sparco stuff.

I went with a Pyrotect suit, based on some recommendations about it being the least expensive of the fairly cool suits (important since we often race in a lot of heat). They are also local to us in the bay area and have always had fantastic customer service (even when it's me that has screwed up an order, for example).

Steve

I know the close relationship between rust and a 240sx... Lets just say if you decide to poke around with a big flathead screwdriver, you'll have a swiss cheese'd unibody pretty quick

(I don't want to pollute your thread so I will only post a link. I hope yours isn't as bad as this, cuz it was pretty much cancer everywhere. It was salvageable, but it's trouble for nothing... oh hai dere downpipe the rusted area was at least twice as big as the hole... :cry:)

Between the melt sheet removal, preliminary seat mockups, and massive rust repair... I'm up to 10 hours of shop time, and they haven't even started on the cage yet. This car is such a mess.

HPIM2887.jpg

HPIM2885.jpg

HPIM28850.jpg

HPIM2886.jpg

HPIM2888.jpg

HPIM2889.jpg

HPIM2890.jpg

HPIM2881.jpg

HPIM2882.jpg

HPIM2884.jpg

mmm wow you've got a good one there (sadly)

but see it that way : you just saved this 240sx a trip to the junkyard! :) (which is good)

Should I tell you how many straight, no rust, S13's I see in the local yards on a weekly basis that you could have saved with a new motor/trans/rear subframe from this car?