240SX Time Attack Build

Should I tell you how many straight, no rust, S13's I see in the local yards on a weekly basis that you could have saved with a new motor/trans/rear subframe from this car?

this is me being jealous of everyone that lives in the american southwest/southern cali.

Should I tell you how many straight, no rust, S13's I see in the local yards on a weekly basis that you could have saved with a new motor/trans/rear subframe from this car?
You can, but it won't really matter; the cost of shipping one of them from you to me would equal the cost of just fixing this one. :p

HPIM2894.jpg

"Main hoop/laterals are formed. Should have them welded together with the windshield bar, windshield corners and temple bars on Monday."

Ripped out the tint, alarm brain, and the rest of the speaker wiring on Tuesday.

IMG00260.jpg

IMG00261.jpg

Question: if I rip out the alarm brain (Viper), but don't bother with removing any of the wiring going to it (because it's snaked all through the dash and I don't want to bother), will my car still start?

Last edited:
You can, but it won't really matter; the cost of shipping one of them from you to me would equal the cost of just fixing this one. :p

Depends really, rent a large enough diesel moving truck to stick the stripped chassis in and drive it back. You could fly here on a southwest flight for pretty cheap. :dunno:

Question: if I rip out the alarm brain (Viper), but don't bother with removing any of the wiring going to it (because it's snaked all through the dash and I don't want to bother), will my car still start?

Depends on how it's wired and exactly how it works.

Wow, that car's got more rust than my Kadett had. Good you got it fixed.

It's coming together!

HPIM2896.jpg

HPIM2898.jpg

HPIM2899.jpg

EDIT: More coming together!

HPIM2917.jpg

HPIM2916.jpg

HPIM2915.jpg

HPIM2913.jpg

Last edited:
It's done!! We decided to replace the sunroof at the last minute, which shaved off another 38lbs. Combined with 22lbs(!) of plastic melt sheet, this took out 60lbs more of interior. Without counting what just went in, that's 225lbs worth of weight removal from the build so far.

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

(That's not a hole in the back window; it's stubborn tint)

DSC01271.jpg

I'll be rustoleum-ing the cage and interior in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Looks great.

Needs more guns.

have you tried using ammonia sprayed on the tint and sealing it with a trash bag then sticking it out in the sun for a few hours? The ammonia should bleed through the tint as it heats up and pull the tint off for ya.

That is a really complicated roll cage. Is it required, or is it serving a dual purpose, such as stiffening up the unibody?

That is a really complicated roll cage.
Some of the complication is required, but some of it is me not wanting to be killed in a freak accident. ;)

Fair enough. It looks like it could pass muster with FIA.

Sorry the the necro, but I'm really interested in what's happened to this car over the past ~3 months. :)

Necro accepted!

It's actually waiting on some new lug nuts and a steering wheel hub, which is waiting on this week's paycheck. If those get here in time, it'll make it's totally un-glorious debut in Chicago the weekend of July 17th at Autobahn.

Not much else to report, though. A bird found its way into the garage and shit all over it before dying next to it, but I didn't figure that was worth posting about. :p

Necro accepted!

It's actually waiting on some new lug nuts and a steering wheel hub, which is waiting on this week's paycheck. If those get here in time, it'll make it's totally un-glorious debut in Chicago the weekend of July 17th at Autobahn.

Not much else to report, though. A bird found its way into the garage and shit all over it before dying next to it, but I didn't figure that was worth posting about. :p

Where in Chicagoland is that? If it's easily accessible I'd love to come out and watch.

Oh lordie. I may have to go and see.

Jake, it is at the same place LeMons will be held at.

Last edited:
Oh lordie. I may have to go and see.

Jake, it is at the same place LeMons will be held at.

.... Would you be so kind as to consider picking me up from the train station if you (and I) can attend the event? I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is assuming, of course, that Dogbert would want to have us around.

Last edited: