24h Green Hell 2011 - 23-26th June 2011

I didn't think there were so many FGers present ! It was an awesome event (as it usually is) unfortunately none of our three cars finished despite our #76 running 2ND before being taken out of it by an SLS it was lapping. Our #77 was doing okay too before getting taken out by a Seat Leon and #4 retired with a broken driveshaft in the final hours. It was pretty tough on the team and they have a lot of work to get the cars back in shape for FIA GT3 in Navarra this weekend.

IMG_2849.jpg

Our coverage thus far : http://speedhunters.com/archive/tags/nurburgring+24+11/default.aspx

Paddy, thanks for the coverage by the way! I and designed were constantly refreshing Speedhunters to get any idea what was happening! :)

I just had my phone with me, but I can offer some shots from the pitlane, if anyone is interested.

Bring it on blackman, pitlane is always interesting.

Oh and yes, thanks Paddy, Speedhunters was probably our best source of info about the race since evo and Top Gear slacked off with their liveblogs and the official result system was... a bit odd.

Last edited:
My camera was stuck in Canada due to Canada Post going on strike the day after my dad shipped my camera over... Therefore I was stuck with my friend's (half broken) Sony T100 and my cell phone. Aside from that the race was great. Since this race might've been my only chance to see the Nurburgring, I decided to walk the whole Nordschleife... and my god is it a big track! I knew it was long, and there are big elevation changes, and so on, but man I was still amazed by it. It's quite a workout. I started at 6pm on the Saturday and finished at almost 3pm on the Sunday.

Anyway, regarding the race: the P4/5 sounded amazing! As did the SLS. But the coolest thing in my opinion was the environment. It was amazing. There were guys and girls, kids and old people, just about every type of person is there. It was really really cool. I spent the night with some random Germans I met up with who barely knew any English lol. That made it slightly complicated but still very fun. Overall an amazing experience.

As requested:

IMAG0305.jpg

Spare BMW Engine

IMAG0306.jpg

Farnbacher Fezza being prepared for the race

IMAG0308.jpg

Minutes before the start

IMAG0309.jpg

Changing the cooler in the pitlane during the race. It took them under 15min to get the car back on the track.

IMAG0310.jpg

Some creative parking on the Nordschleife campinggrounds at Hatzenbach. Picture doesn't do it justice, it was more then 45? vertical :D

IMAG0311.jpg

Crappy cellphone pic form Hatzenbach at night

IMAG0313.jpg

No 76 from Schubert Motorsport after the crash

Haha, I remember that Defender!

Holy shit how fast they stripped that Z4! I heard it has to race pretty soon so they had to start stipping it during the race, but still :eek:

Yeah they got a new shell from BMW Motorsport to put their parts on, while the damaged one is being repaired.

That Golf caught me by suprise :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or is that just a bit aggressive for the 1st lap of a 24hr race? :)

Thanks Blackman!

Haha, I remember that Defender!

Same here, I even took a picture of it's trunk since it had a black "Save The Ring" sticker. (Mental note: post STR-pictures to their group)

Just posted few more pictures of the #2 Ferrari 458 and #23 P4/5 Competizione to the Flickr set since someone requested them.

Holy shit how fast they stripped that Z4! I heard it has to race pretty soon so they had to start stipping it during the race, but still :eek:

Yeah they got a new shell from BMW Motorsport to put their parts on, while the damaged one is being repaired.

The car was pretty much a bare shell by 6AM. The team then had to ship everything / everyone to Navarra for the third round of the GT3 European Championship, rebuild the car before the race at the circuit and then compete in it. There wasn't enough time to reapply the full livery and as such, the car ran in a Stormtrooper type guise !

SH-GT3R3C040.jpg

Stories : http://speedhunters.com/archive/tags/FIA+GT3+2011/default.aspx

Haha, they already had huge adds near D?ttingen saying "Some call it the Green Hell. We call it a classroom" etc. Also some of the descriptions in Porsche Museum are a bit too cocky :)