[24x01] March 5th, 2017 - the old track is back!

[24x01] March 5th, 2017 - the old track is back!

• Total voters
A very solid 7 out of 10. Much better chemistry than the last series. LeBlanc has settled in to the show nicely.

I really liked the films, the studio scenes not so much. Ferrari film of Harris and the high-mileage stuff was both nicely shot and funny as well. Therefore I rate it a 7 as well.

I actually watched it, mainly because it was on after Robot Wars but I'm glad I did. Much happier with the dynamic between these three, I like the new studio and even though the dialogue is a bit wooden (not sure if Harris genuinely laughs like a lunatic or if it's fake) it works pretty well. The new way to shoehorn in the star is a bit odd though, seemed quite awkward. The main film was good fun, a great idea for a challenge IMO. I'm seriously impressed with the condition that Volvo was in at the start. I was a bit disappointed that the cheating at the end wasn't punished but maybe that means it was genuine. I know, there go some flying pigs...

7/10 for me, things are off to a good start and WAY better than series 23 with Mr. Shouty.

It was OK. The films were pretty good although the chemistry between the three guys is (obviously) not yet at the CHM level and the last film isn't as strong for it. But this definitely shows a lot more potential than the last series and confirms that removing Evans was absolutely the right call, if anyone was in any doubt.

The studio segments were the weakest bits. Again I think their inexperience and lack of time together shows here. Also, I really wish they'd just ditch SIARPC at this point. McAvoy looked like he'd been held hostage.

Not bad at all. These three will never be as funny as CHM in their golden days, but the long film was a good watch. Studio segments still a bit iffy, but not irritating like with Evans. Maybe Rory should do the guest interview alone. And although I like Chris, he might make the show a bit too nerdy for a mainstream public. There is only one James May after all.

I seem to have followed the herd and voted 7 (before I read the other reviews), I thought this went pretty well. The opening seemed a little stiff (Harris in particular seemed nervous), and yes, it'll take much more time for "natural" (scripted or not) banter to appear. But overall I think there's real promise, and I'm looking forward to the next episodes, especially the Ford GT.

Last edited:
I really liked it! So much better than anything last season. 8/10

This is the way it should be, and it's really what I hoped for. Solid, entertaining, quality, loads better than some TGT stuff on their first season. Very promising.

I'm suitably impressed. If this episode is the base standard for the rest of the series I think Top Gear has got its groove back.

8/10 for that solid and entertaining starting episode.

1 more point for bringing back the old track and another point for that Toyota F86, so 10/10 this week.

Extremely strong start to the new series. Really well done stuff guys, I think it is a brilliant new direction. Some constructive criticism if I may:

-It felt weird to have the celebrity guest sit through a segment. The celebrity segments are not terrible if they're quick and over.
-The cheap car challenge across russia was excellent. I would like the cars to have more character and detail. They're temporarily stars of the episode in addition to the hosts and not given much depth.
-I would like a news segment again, with car news and news from the UK. Chris and Rory giving british news and explaining it to Matt could be a great way to do that. I always like when Jeremy gave UK news and an opinion on it even though I didn't live there.
-Cool wall? Lets have the hosts each put up some of their favorite and not-so-favorite cars to get a feel for what kind of cars they like.

All in all, I really can't wait to see more.

Much better than anything from Evans' shout-fest last year- though the chemistry is a bit forced at the moment. Very watchable though.

Reasonably solid start I thought, there were parts where it felt a little on the generic side and I thought that the Ferrari segment could've used a better music selection but overall it's about as good as I hoped it could be and brings a lot of promise for the future of Top Gear.

Good show, which means I have two promising car shows to watch this year!

I trust whoever made the host, track and other awful choices in the previous TG series has been shown the door <_<

Not a bad start at all and a stark contrast to EP1 of last season.

The outside stuff was all pretty good on the whole but the studio segments are still a big weakness. IMO, it really misses an experienced TV presenter that is a natural at holding things together. Reid and Harris still look wooden and slightly uncomfortable in the studio like last season.

SIARFC was started far too early, it's job is to act as a half time intermission, if you like. Keeping stars on for that long is only going to work if the star is either very entertaining or a big car nut. The lack of a real presenter shows here too which is why they probably chose to have all three of them on the sofa at once. Better idea to put the star in a quicker car instead of a rally car, plenty of scope for some real fun.

Overall 7/10, improve the in studio stuff and they have a very watchable car show again.