[24x01] March 5th, 2017 - the old track is back!

[24x01] March 5th, 2017 - the old track is back!

• Total voters
It did feel a bit like James McAvoy was brought out a bit early but I suspect it's mostly down to it being the first time they've done that. I figure after a few episodes or at some point in the future the guests will be in a place where they feel comfortable enough to really interact with the other presenters and get some proper banter going on.

Registered (finally) since I see light at the end of the tunnel now...

This was pretty good. Some of the scripted stuff was still a bit crap, but hopefully that will be toned down / become more natural over time.

It still bugs me that they insist on pretending they "happen" to end up at a quarry etc. but that isn't nearly as bad as it was in GT (thank goodness!). Seriously, what is wrong with just saying "we stopped on the way for a spot of quarry racing"...? It makes no difference to the narrative and it treats the viewer as an adult instead of a moron.

Same thing with Rory's "accidentally" runaway taxi. Although (unlike GT) at least this was done well enough to plant a seed of doubt in my mind - although I'm still 95% sure there was either someone pulling the bricks away with a piece of string or the cameraman gave the cab a kick. :)

And nice to end with the Soyuz launch - something genuinely different and spectacular for a change (and with everyone there instead of pretending that the losers had to hitchhike home or whatever).

Nice guys - but as boring as the steppe they were crossing without anything happening.

Surprisingly good, and miles better than last year Top Gear.
I wish they would cut studio bits to minimum, so far these are the weakest parts of the show. Also, the black dude adds nothing (hopefully this isn't racist thing to say)

Overall a good show, and better than anything Grand Tour did, this first episode of Top Gear demonstrates how idiotically over produced, yet so badly written and delivered fail fest the Grand Tour was.

Will start watching Top Gear again, never thought that will happen :)

Did anyone else notice there was no stig? And no-one cares...? ;)

Good idea to use the GT86 - back to "reasonable" cars, but at least this one will actually test the driver's skills - and could make for some exciting offs... :)

Edit: funny - I just joined so my first post is being moderated, but my second post goes straight through... :lol:

Last edited:
The fact that they had Ronin jokes is strong evidence how well this episode tied into the petrolhead/anorak mindset. And they themselves had continuity errors in the challenge segment :lol:

The fact that they had Ronin jokes is strong evidence how well this episode tied into the petrolhead/anorak mindset. And they themselves had continuity errors in the challenge segment :lol:

Missed the Ronin joke, but check out the David Hasselhoff - 'I've Been looking for Freedom', hugely respected and revered anthem in Eastern Europe, a classic really.

Have to watch it again to catch the Ronin reference

That was actually quite good! Really enjoyed the whole show, and like the "back to basic"-approach. Think i prefer this over TGT, which is very over the top.

I think they went to the series 1 of 2002 Top Gear and replicate that. Overall pretty good VT's but I feel bad to the celebrity to stay over with nothing to do. It is nice now that we can get two 'car' related show again.

My first instinct was to give it an 8, but I want to have reserves. So 7/10 it is.

• Ferrari FXXK: Although I suspect they chose this because TGT opened with the "Holy Trinity", it was still a good film.
  • SIARFC: Finally, a proper car for this segment! And it was much fun seeing McAvoy oversteering a lot. It was also refreshing that the star guest did not promote his latest movie. Bad thing though: There wasn't enough actual conversation with him. It felt very pointless to have him sit there at all.
  • The main feature: Despite some silly jokes it was great.
  • Ronin complaints: Come on, the fact that the car flips over in that scene is the real offender!

Not if you don't want to. Considering that, judging from the vast majority of your posts regarding TV shows or movies you watched, you find almost everything you watch awful, perhaps you shouldn't.

Reactions: MWF