[24x03] March 19th, 2017 - DB11 vs. S63 / GTI Clubsport

[24x03] March 19th, 2017 - DB11 vs. S63 / GTI Clubsport

• Total voters
A pretty OK episode this time. I didn't like Tamsin at all, she seems like a nightmare to work with. Aston segment was good and I thought dressing Harris up as Blofeld was absolute genius, he looked perfect. The Mercedes was a bit boring because we didn't get to learn a whole lot about it. Golf segment was good especially with a look back through the old models, until Sabine got involved. Like many others I don't buy the overtakes in the Golf unless that was rigged, it didn't help the segment at all.

What's Rory there for these days? They have three presenters but only two of them seem to do anything. I like the guy, give him some screen time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
All the people who doubt it is possible to overtake some expensive cars on the nordschleife, have probably never been to this place and never watched a touristenfahrten-video on youtube either.
You can find some serious locals there, who know exactly what they are doing and who are properly fast. But you'll also find tons of others who have no experience whatsoever and just want to tell their friends, that they lapped the famous nordschleife. What one can generally observe is: the more expensive the car is, the more careful it is driven. That's why it's not unusual to see a Golf MkIII or a BMW E36 overtaking a Lamborghini.

What you also shouldn't underestimate is the value of a profound track knowledge. It's a very, very long track, so you need many, many laps until you always know where the next corner is going. And that's just the basics. Sabine knows the best line through every one of the 87 corners, she knows where all the bumps are, she knows where the most grip is, where she needs to be careful and where she can just go flat out.

I'm sure they did more than a single lap for filming, just because filming usually needs a lot of time. But I have no doubt that Sabine can overtake a million pounds worth of cars in a singel lap on a normal tourisenfahrten-day, when she is given a 300 hp car like this golf.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was pretty much my thought as well.

I agree that those expensive cars looked slow... but that could be because 1) they are being driven carefully *because they are expensive* and 2) because Sabine can drive that circuit bloody fast.

I've seen plenty of YouTube videos with people taking standard hot hatches round there and cruising past Porsches and various exotica - because they know what they're doing and the driver of the other car is nowhere near the edge.

Edit: and I've also seen YouTube videos where drivers of expensive cars *thought* they knew what they were doing and went straight *over* the edge... :lol:

Last edited:
Of course you can overtake supercars in a hot hatch if they are driven carefully and you drive all out. And Sabine knows what she is doing. But the point is that when overtaking someone going deliberately slow - and without doubt knowing it - you shouldn't make such a fuss over it and tell a TV audience it's because how brilliant your Golf is.

Last edited:
Perhaps the star segment can be shortened and the extra time can be given to a return of the news.

The star segment really needs to shorten. By 95%. Damn it dragged on. And that mellon/whatever... destroying with the harvester was a waste of time and dull.
Also that 1million passing by thing they did on the Ring was so dumb. Why couldnt they just have fun and marvel at the cars they pass with a Golf, maybe rather than do that retarded 1million thing, see which is the best car they passed. And man it wouldve been amazing had they tried the Aston and S63 also on the Ring and see if they keep up with Sabine in the Golf. I guess that is wishing too much.
Matt did a great Fiat review, im surprised at how many positive reviews that car got. I was also always convinced that the turbo completely ruins the experience(as with most cars; note, not all, but vast majority) as it is shameful how they simple cloned the mazda.
And that Golf really is a strange creation,its neither here nor there.

Last edited:
The Nordschleife Segment looked like it was filmed during a Trackday. Some of the cars were not even roadlegal (slick tires). So I think they told them to go slow during the filming. Or they were on an information lap.

7/10, same as I have judged every episode so far. Perfectly enjoyable stuff, for the most part. Didn't like the star segment, as usual, and yes, what on Earth are they doing with agricultural and industrial equipment bits in the middle of the show? Golf segment was another Sabine miss for me -- good grief, stop cackling and drive the dang car. Same with Rory. And yes, it looked like the other cars were just loping along. No doubt that Sabine could pass every one, but probably not in one lap -- geez, could at least ONE car move like a driver was actually trying to go fast? Otherwise, dialog and scripts seem to be improving.

LeBlanc is boring. At least Sabine brought a little life to the show. The Fiata review was ok, but the star segment needs to go.

Going slightly against the flow....... I enjoyed it, with the exception only of the Nurburgring section.

I think it was good for Matt to have a friend as his guest, it could help him get used to interviewing guests in the conversational style that's required when it's 3-vs-1. Tamsin also did okay but it's clear BBC is kinda going through its staff to visit TG, I think to get the show up and running again. It will be a while, if ever, we get the likes of Tom Cruise etc. back as last year did quite some damage. Agreed we need to get some more news back but having it also revolving around a guest is not the worst idea and as they (guests) return to the show and as the guys learn how to just have a chat, I think that will improve.

It is clear, however, conversational style suites the guys better than an out and out interview. Matt has a little of the deer-in-the-headlights look when trying to come up with a quick response or something funny as a reply. JC beats him on this hands down with a quick, dry wit. It is wise not to go down that route until Matt settles into that kind of informal interviewing role.

Industrial equipment, in this case a muck spreader.......well, that was also quite okay and interesting. It's a useful little section. They only need to look at how to introduce that little piece in a better way, and not make it any longer. Out of three shows two followed the same "introduction" format and that can be scrapped already but the pieces themselves are fine.

Again, I liked it.....and it's already a hundred times better than last season so with a little more time it should really back up there.