[24x04] March 26th, 2017 - Chiron vs everything

[24x04] March 26th, 2017 - Chiron vs everything

• Total voters

MXM

I paid for this title
Well, I'll be damned, the boys made Top Gear great again! Thoroughly enjoyed this one again, fourth good episode in a row.

If you think differently, feel free to rant into the box below. Vote, like, subscribe etc...

Last edited:
10/10, Exceptional. The whole episode was superbly executed, even though I still dislike the celebrity formula. I'm willing to overlook it because it seemed to be kept to a minimum this episode and the guest wasn't bad. It still feels odd with them sitting there between segments and the interviews don't flow very well.

My notes:
-Cinematography seems to be the best it has ever been. Super visually pleasing, and not crazy over-done special-effects/graphics that plagued the end of old top gear. Any chance of going back to those old school shaded corner filters? Those felt strangely nice.
-Chiron review was excellent. I feel like I wanted slightly more technical information about the car. I understand it is in development though. This was a text book top gear car preview/review, a pleasure to watch.
- The Pacman game was pretty cool, but it feels like it would be too difficult to genuinely play and compete. Similar games like this but more realistic with genuine competition would be better. It would just be that much cooler if the games were more realistic that the hosts/contestants could compete in for an unscripted finish. Otherwise I love small cars competing in like games.
-The fast sweeping drone shots during the celebrity hot lap were really cool. Added a super cool touch. More drone footage like that.
-Sabine is great, I am really happy to see she is still a part of the show. A regular segment of her would be great. Maybe segments of her talking about how to drive various sections of the ring? One segment per few corners?
-3 small hatches racing around the test track was excellent! I don't think we've seen very many head to head races around the track like that. I think the tiny cars racing around the test track should be investigated further for more segments in the future. Stig's teenage cousins were also great.
-The Harris vs Joey race was also text book top gear. Super fun to watch. I would have liked more information about all the vehicles however. I was disappointed Chris didn't talk more about the Chiron as he drove it and road-tripped it. Was it a comfortable car to drive all that time? It is a bugatti after-all. Curious if there was anything annoying about it. The pictures and the shots of the car were amazing, but hoped to hear a little more about the experience, mixed in with the race storyline. More technical/educational info mixed in with the storylines would be great.

This formula is a real winner. The show is still new and finding its legs, but what a foundation to build on. The hosts are feeling more familiar and developing their characters on the show nicely. I am hoping that Top Gear gets more involved in Motorsport. I would really love to see more segments about popular races and storylines of various teams/cars.

I was expecting to be disappointed in this one, the mention of a bike (I'm really not in to bikes) and I've never been very interested in Bugattis but it was actually a good episode, I found myself surprised that it had reached the end already. I don't really like whatsisface and it seems like Sabine is going to be an annoying regular but it all worked out.

I was however...
expecting LeBlanc to have either a parachute or a handglider or something in his giant backpack, just bike gear was a bit disappointing.

- The Pacman game was pretty cool, but it feels like it would be too difficult to genuinely play and compete. Similar games like this but more realistic with genuine competition would be better. It would just be that much cooler if the games were more realistic that the hosts/contestants could compete in for an unscripted finish. Otherwise I love small cars competing in like games.

Particularly the "wraparound" teleportation and the closing shot of Stig behind the console really saved this part. They turned it from what looks like a staged competition into a little art film. So I don't have to cringe at the obvious acting and enjoy the idea. Well done.

Utterly boring. I found myself watching the tulips on the coffee table during the "Pacman" stuff. Then: Was that a race or a commercial for the Honda Jet? Good: Motorcycle in it. Guests: Who is it? Who is everyone else on the scoreboard?

Best episode of the series so far I think, really liked the Chiron review and the whole pac-man game was pretty cool too. The celebrity interview wasn't as good as the David Tennant one but it was still all right. The thing that made it a 9 instead of a 10 for me is that they didn't really do the tension for the race as effectively as it was done in the old days. In the past they'd never have shown Matt arriving before Chris. They sort of got the music right but I think it would've been more tense with some different editing and maybe if the hosts looked a little more like they actually cared about winning mostly they just seemed to be enjoying the journey.

I think they may have finished the race the way they did because, as you watch the closing stages, it was clear from the ambient light levels that Matt was several minutes if not more ahead of the Chiron and any attempt at "fake" tension would have cheapened the segment. I think the way it happened was just fine.

The presenters are getting better in their roles. Not their yet, but improving steadily. It won't have the audience of old top gear, because, hey, this is a car show.

Rory should be allowed a little more freedom, to make the films his way. Look at some of his pre-top-gear work to see what I mean.

10/10, Exceptional. The whole episode was superbly executed, even though I still dislike the celebrity formula. I'm willing to overlook it because it seemed to be kept to a minimum this episode and the guest wasn't bad. It still feels odd with them sitting there between segments and the interviews don't flow very well.

My notes:
-Cinematography seems to be the best it has ever been. Super visually pleasing, and not crazy over-done special-effects/graphics that plagued the end of old top gear. Any chance of going back to those old school shaded corner filters? Those felt strangely nice.
-Chiron review was excellent. I feel like I wanted slightly more technical information about the car. I understand it is in development though. This was a text book top gear car preview/review, a pleasure to watch.
-The fast sweeping drone shots during the celebrity hot lap were really cool. Added a super cool touch. More drone footage like that.
-Sabine is great, I am really happy to see she is still a part of the show. A regular segment of her would be great. Maybe segments of her talking about how to drive various sections of the ring? One segment per few corners?
-3 small hatches racing around the test track was excellent! I don't think we've seen very many head to head races around the track like that. I think the tiny cars racing around the test track should be investigated further for more segments in the future. Stig's teenage cousins were also great.
-The Harris vs Joey race was also text book top gear. Super fun to watch. I would have liked more information about all the vehicles however. I was disappointed Chris didn't talk more about the Chiron as he drove it and road-tripped it. Was it a comfortable car to drive all that time? It is a bugatti after-all. Curious if there was anything annoying about it. The pictures and the shots of the car were amazing, but hoped to hear a little more about the experience, mixed in with the race storyline. More technical/educational info mixed in with the storylines would be great.

This formula is a real winner. The show is still new and finding its legs, but what a foundation to build on. The hosts are feeling more familiar and developing their characters on the show nicely. I am hoping that Top Gear gets more involved in Motorsport. I would really love to see more segments about popular races and storylines of various teams/cars.

Fully agree!

A good watchable episode. Not sure what value the celebrities add to the show as the presenters lack any interviewing skills and those studio segments break the rhythm. Cinematography, as usual, was top notch. A word of caution though, they should avoid too much of the scripted segments. As much I liked the Chris vs Matt race, I had this constant feeling that they knew well in advance who will win in the end.

One more note I'd like to post:

After watching Extra Gear, Chris had a ton of very cool information about the Chiron. I'm really curious why none of this was allowed in the first review he did. Back in old school top gear, the guys would walk around the cars with them parked, explaining bits and pieces of more technical information. Bummed that the Extra gear host and Rory got all goofy when Chris started talking more about aerodynamics and tire pressures. Like the viewer wouldn't be interested... totally wrong! All of this info would have made the original review that much better. Missed opportunity, but really enjoyed the brief bit of Chris Harris on Cars that was allowed.

I was also bummed when Rory was explaining the cool stuff in the back of the Bently, why not go in and show it on camera? The car was right there! The cars in-studio shouldn't be just props.

Otherwise, great re-watchabilty on all the episodes this week. Thank god no more celebrities on extra gear as well.

Edit: Why not make Extra Gear an hour?

Last edited:
9/10. Been a long time since I gave TG, or TGT for that matter, a 9 out of 10.

Outstanding.

Amazing episode, 9/10 for me.

Chris's review of the Chiron was incredible, his feelings were so well communicated. The race was beautiful, and the chemistry between Leblanc and Harris is evident.

I wasn't a fan of the PacMan game, but while silly, it was still well done.

But the studio segments really need work, that's where the show lose most it's points.

Reactions: MWF
Amazing episode, 9/10 for me.

Chris's review of the Chiron was incredible, his feelings were so well communicated. The race was beautiful, and the chemistry between Leblanc and Harris is evident.

I wasn't a fan of the PacMan game, but while silly, it was still well done.

But the studio segments really need work, that's where the show lose most it's points.

Agreed completely. There seems to be a great relationship between Matt and Chris, clearly shown at the end of the race - only need to get Rory a bit more in tune and involved and all will be dusted. We need the news section back to make better use of the conversational aspect of the guests' interviews, which I prefer to the one-on-one interviews of old. Even in those days, however, there were some pretty useless guests as well so we shouldn't slam current version just yet, as we wait for this iteration to gain experience and reputation. After last year, getting guests could be difficult so we're going through BBC staffers and what seems like Matt's friends at the moment.

It looks like their running gag is definitely going to be heavy equipment, showing an earth mover on Matt's Bentley screen in a "Where's Waldo" type moment. Given my comments on Ep3 I was pleased they changed the introduction for this gag, good variation each week keeping it fresh.

The PacMan segment was pretty useless, as was all the old IGO football games etc. but I was pleased they brought the Stig out to complete it. Over the first three episodes I was concerned his persona was being lost - he only came out, drove a car each episode and disappeared. It needed/needs something, like the old Cross London race to make "him/it" worthwhile again and this goes someway towards a re-introduction, especially as Chris is the one involved/filmed teaching guests their car and track.

If we can get a bit more news and the Stig's persona back then TG is back stronger than it was even a couple of years ago - Rory still needs a bit of time to get involved but it will surely come and evolve, given a chance. Watching last year, that's something I thought was far off but to the BBC's and, if we're honest, Chris Evans' credit, they worked it out and the new TG team are worthy of credit. Evans is okay, in small doses but to wind things up in a nice way it would actually be a good idea to get him back as a guest, if he's up for it.

snip

I was also bummed when Rory was explaining the cool stuff in the back of the Bently, why not go in and show it on camera? The car was right there! The cars in-studio shouldn't be just props.

snip

Edit: Why not make Extra Gear an hour?

The reason, I would say from my modest insider knowledge, is time. EG is recorded when TG ends. By that point the audience has been there from 12 in the afternoon and TG usually doesn't wrap until 5-6. Then they shoot EG with the same crew and bits of the audience.

So they don't have a lot of time to record it, and they don't have time to get in and out of the cars. And that's also why it can't really be an hour - time.