[24x05] April 2nd, 2017 - Hammer time

[24x05] April 2nd, 2017 - Hammer time

• Total voters

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
I've never done this before, I'm worried I might mess it up.

The return of Grandpa Eddie and another appearance of Auntie Sabine, for better or worse. Frankly if it wasn't King of The Hammers I would've turned it off. I can't say I'm looking forward to them dragging this out but we will see what happens. Chris Hoy seems more like the sort of person they should have on, we got to see him bin a GT-R and drive the tyres off the GT86 so he actually contributed something.

Rory getting picked on for liking the idea of robotic racing was odd, no matter how right the others are about the driver being essential for us to properly connect emotionally. Lack of any news still annoys me, it seemed like they were still doing it at the start of the series but it didn't last.

If you disagree then you're wrong but go for it anyway. :p

Not a fan of this one. Eddie is just cringe worthy and on the whiole it was just over done and over acted. Not CHM slapstick bad but still bad.

5/10

Reactions: MWF
I think it needs to be Harris, Sabine, and some car nerd for the 3rd host. Let Harris be more like his videos were, instead of overacting. Still needs a slight revamp.

Weakest one of the run so far.

1. What the hell is Rory supposed to doing there? He is being demeaned by a fringe role that seems to be a cocktail of token minority/gormless Hammond replacement/ecomentalist for the butt of the others' jokes. Give the guy a bloody chance already.
2. Leave the stupid play-acting to CHM and TGT. This is the best chance in years to update and reinvent the show. Fake comedy belongs with fat lips and unwelcome cold platters in a Yorkshire hotel.
3. Eddie Jordan - see point #2. He is a great bloke and I like him for all sorts of reasons but the embarrassing creepy uncle act got old in 5 seconds flat when he was playing the spoons on the Orient Express in the last run. He serves no useful purpose on the show.

Up until now this run is proving that they are capable of making their own show that is neither a CHM clone nor simply Fifth Gear with more filters and a bigger budget. Let's hope this most recent effort was simply a glitch.

I thought the shooting of that race was extremely well done. And between the acting there seemed to be real comradery.

Ooh yes, another point I forgot. That Ford GT film felt like it was a leftover from the last series, with the stupid straight on camera angle. Also isn't that car a year or so old now?

7/10. GT film was good. No, great. King of the hammers was great. Like everyone else, I like EJ but they are struggling to find a role for him. It's not his fault. Missing the news. MLB gets better with every show and is making it his more and more. I still think RR and CH are at their best in Extra Gear, away from the scripting. There's a lesson here.

- Enjoyed the GT segment.
- Skipped the guest, as usual. (Tamsin was closest to someone I'd want to see, but did they spend the whole time talking Black Books? Nooooooo. ;) )
- Sabine's necklace pendant dealy was pretty cool.
- The electric car segment was fun, and looks like it would be a blast with friends, but they really need to define what Rory's role is. (Hammond-like? A little May-like? Lethimbehimself-like!) It's taking more time for him... Feels like his role is much more solidified on Extra Gear than it is on the main show.
- The whole race thing was cool, but pretty much the dumbest way to find out who's a faster driver.

I'll give it a solid 7.

Also...

gtpig_by_ripplin-db4wurh.jpg

Last edited:
Meh. 2/10
Remove LeBlanc and I'd give it a 6/10.

When the "conversion to boat" started, I basically said to myself "not that shit again", thinking they were going to go the usual way (half-assed project, mindless destruction).

And then they surprised me by actually doing it right, not destroying anything, and proving Rory's point.

Bravo!

When the "conversion to boat" started, I basically said to myself "not that shit again", thinking they were going to go the usual way (half-assed project, mindless destruction).

And then they surprised me by actually doing it right, not destroying anything, and proving Rory's point.

Bravo!

Uhh. Wrong thread?

Bravo!

Actually, they didn?t do a conversion.
They just remove the engine and axels from the ugly car, and put the body on top a real boat. They did a good job blending them both, but it was not a conversion, its a fake.

cheers

Last edited:
Caught the celebrity segment on repeat this weekend and I was thoroughly confused. I honestly thought I had somehow skipped watching this episode, as the guest did not even look remotely familiar. Apparently, he really made an impression. *G* (I originally gave this episode a 6, so it would appear the entire episode didn't really leave much of an impression)