[25x06] April 1, 2018

[25x06] April 1, 2018

• Total voters

jack_christie

Forum Addict
3, 2, 1. Goooooooooooooooooo

Very solid show. Going out on a high.

Returns later in the year.

That really doesn't look good for Volvo build quality... Not that I expect a stupid SUV to actually be a good off-roader, but still...

Watching Extra Gear now... That lap in the superkart! Would like to know how that compares to the car lap times.

As a car guy I feel this is just unpleasant to watch,destroying cars over such obstacles. Previous TG had somewhat similar tests too sure but at least somewhat practical and in the end not meant to ruin the brand new cars for no reason. All they do is to try to make it as stupid entertaining as possible, throwing away all the car guy ethos that car shows are supposed to have. That love for the cars, the feeling that made Hammond (I think all three of them) BUY several vehicles from the show because he got attached to them. There is nothing like that in this version of TG. Its all stupid empty lound nonsense. And Harris is the worst, which is a bit baffling,supposedly such a "car guy". Yeah right.
Clarkson and the gang also often abused their cars but never like this and with such disregard.

Last edited:
The original three have done "extreme" testing with new and expensive vehicles: Hammond raced a Porsche Cayenne around a rally circuit in Cyprus. Clarkson drove a Ferrari FF and Bentley Continental around an ice-track version of Silverstone. May served as the co-driver for Kris Make driving a Bentley Continental GT Speed on the Welsh WRC course. There was also the Australian Northern Territory road trip with the BMW M6 Gran Coupe, Nissan GT-R and Bentley Continental GT V8S where they subjected them to some serious abuse.

I really enjoyed this one, in fact it was the best episode of Joey Gear yet. 9/10 for me.

Sony;n3548024 said:
As a car guy I feel this is just unpleasant to watch,destroying cars over such obstacles. Previous TG had somewhat similar tests too sure but at least somewhat practical and in the end not meant to ruin the brand new cars for no reason. [...]
Clarkson and the gang also often abused their cars but never like this and with such disregard.
Huh? CHM very often abused perfectly fine cars. Mostly for the laughs. And they got a lot of angry comments about that on this very forum. The only thing TG did on this episode was driving over a field and the damage is perfectly repairable.

And saying previous TG tests were 'somewhat practical' is almost an insult to Clarskon, who hates practical car advise. It was the running gag of TG.

Clarkson would have thrown a piano on that Volvo.

In a way, the Stelvio is just another SUV, which all pretty much look basically the same nowadays (well, just like every other type of vehicle by and large...), but the Alfa touch does make it look better, at least. The Volvo and Range Rover aren't bad either, actually. I still don't want another SUV, though. Chris bounce-powersliding that Volvo around in the final challenge was pretty funny.

Can you imagine Clarkson taking those bumps? He'd be paralyzed. :p

Note to Rory: hated the dabbing. Hated it.

Nice to see the Alpine! Not as cool as the original, of course, but still quite nice! Gotta change those fog lights to yellow and add some Cibies on there. ;) I thought maybe it was a production model I hadn't heard of yet until Chris said otherwise. Oh, and Eddie Jordan is still alive, apparently.

Good one, but not as good as those few great ones we had in a row. I'll give it a 7 like last week, and I'm looking forward to watching Extra Gear, knowing Craig Breen is a guest! :)

To those who don't like the car thrashing, I see your point in a way, but on the other hand...who cares? They're just SUVs, not classic or rare cars, and it's BBC money, not yours. ;)

Not even sure it is BBC Money, for that matter, since most of those review cars appear to be provided by the manufacturers themselves. So I imagine they're briefed on what is planned for them and sign off on it.

Another solid show. I gave it a 7 but perhaps a 7.5. All in all the best run of TG for at least 5 years if not longer to my mind. More of this and I will be a happy camper indeed.