280ZX - Even worth looking at?

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
Hi, as my car listing on the left says, i'm in the market for a 90's Z28, and have been saving quite a while while waiting for a nice one, but recently i've had quite a crisis. I've been bit by the 240Z bug, HARD. The problem is to get one of these in any decent condition (they rust like italian cars!) takes mucho bucks, so i've looked at the less expensive alternative - the 80's 280ZX. As the more datsun-oriented of you will know, it was pretty much a completely new car, keeping the same motor as the old one, but tacking on a bunch of luxury and emissions crap that supposedly made it as slow as molasses. Not to mention an ugly C4-like digital dash!

The point of this thread is to ask the nissan-experts around, is a 280ZX worth looking at as a cheaper version of the 240Z and 260Z? Can all the emissions (florida has no emissions testing) and luxury crap be removed to salvage some kind of power from the L28, or is it a futile battle? Am i better off just waiting longer and holding out for a genuine 70's 240 or even returning to my first love, the LT1 Z28? Any additional information would be helpful, thanks!

Heh, I don't understand why you're so hung up on LT1s ;). Anywho, I'm by no means a Nissan expert, but here's what I found courtesy wiki. It was Motor Trend's Car of the Year back in '79. They weigh in around 2800lbs, and the NA cars had ~145hp. The '81 L28ET made 180hp, but wasn't available with a manual trans. If I was to buy one, it would be the '82-'83 turbo with the 5 speed.

What kind of annual salary are you earning and whats your designated budget? How much do you want to spend on a used 80s car? Is it going to be your primary daily driver? Are you mechanically knowledgable? Are you prepared to do a lot of your own maintenance and parts replacing or are you going to pay others to do it?

Be advised that the 280ZX has one nasty bug in its handling repertoire - it can have some pretty nasty drop-throttle oversteer due to the rear suspension geometry.

What kind of annual salary are you earning and whats your designated budget?

I am a dirt poor college student.

How much do you want to spend on a used 80s car?

2-4 Thousand dollars, hoping to talk some poor sap down, i think they can be had for this price in alright condition. Even (project) 240's with minor issues (not even the rusty shitbuckets) can be had for 4-5K

Is it going to be your primary daily driver?

No, i have a rock-solid 1997 camry that will never ever die *knock on wood* So the car being out-of-commission for a while while i try to afford parts is no big deal.

Are you mechanically knowledgable?

No, but all my friends are, and i'm doing my best to learn from them. Getting this or an LT1 camaro is kind of my way of teaching myself. Learn or the car doesnt run :D

Are you prepared to do a lot of your own maintenance and parts replacing or are you going to pay others to do it?

I always do my own maintenance, and i assume there is nothing a Haynes manual, a cooler of beer, a few friends and some elbow grease cant fix.

Last edited:
I'd get an AE86 corolla before a 280zx. They just don't have the looks of the 240z. A good compromise would be a 260z, its not as great as the 240, but not as bad or ugly as the 280. Also, the 260z had a turbo version if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind you could get a decent late model 300zx (non-turbo) for 5k.

They weigh in around 2800lbs, and the NA cars had ~145hp
Sounds pretty much the same as my 240SX, so...not all that quick. If you're going to get a 280ZX, definitely go for the turbo.

Keep in mind you could get a decent late model 300zx (non-turbo) for 5k.
Heavy, but fun. BUT, also keep in mind those nasty digital dashes and controls all over the place which will be failing right about now.

I had a turbo 85 300ZX - the digital dashboard was optional, not mandatory, and they just don't fail. When they do, it's usually a certain control box that is easily obtained used and replaced. It can also be fixed easily.

I wouldn't get a 280zx, mainly because they are not particularly sporty relative to the earlier cars. I think you'll be disappointed if you go that route.

If you really want something and can't find a decent 240/260, this is what I'd consider, I think:

Early Toyota MR2
early RX-7
Nice last of the pontiac Fiero V6's

The last could be very hard to find...the other two are very possible to find and will give you very much the driving experience you are looking for in a 240.

Steve

and luxury crap be removed to salvage some kind of power from the L28, or is it a futile battle?

There is a solution: It comes in the form of a Nissan RB.

I know, the rice boy fire will rain down on me, but hold on.....:rolleyes: The only problem with the damn things everywhere but here, is you'll have a crowd of pimply faced youths (PFY's) hanging around your engine asking why you haven't got 1000hp out of a stock bottom end and that a RB30 doesn't exist.....

They are a far better motor in every regard (well 'cept the oil pump on the early ones) than the L motor. Gearboxs are basically the same, you have a choice of two types of extension housing, so you can choose the one that uses your tailshaft and gearstick position.

Very common conversion here. The engine computers on them are not scarey, just don't buy into the BS that goes on about them. Also remember that Japan isn't the only source of parts, and "hot" motors......:p

No no no no no, i dont just want any Z car (i dont like any of them but the first 2 gens, to be honest), and i'm not looking for just any old generic performance car.

I just want a running project that i can sharpen my skills on, the question is is the 280ZX worth getting, or should i hold out for a First-generation S30? I've already seen the 260Z and found it significantly cheaper then the others for some reason (i dont care about 20 missing HP) So i might go with that.

1975datsun260z2plus2automatic_rf34_606x312.jpg

Look how secksay it is! How can you compare that to a 300ZX or a MR2? :D And i would try to mod it into being somewhat quick down the road. Nothing drastic but a little weight reduction and spray (i heartell you can take them up to 250HP without putting too much strain on the car) I dont care about original paint or matching numbers or uber restorations. I just want an example that runs, or could run with a little effort, and is free of really horrible rust (a little is no big deal)

If i got a 300ZX or MR2, i would be laughed out of my (domestic) car friends, buying a datsun is pushing it already! Only barely acceptable because its a classic 60's/70's car. :D (They all drive LT1 F bodies)

I'd get an AE86 corolla before a 280zx.

Do they exist in america? I mean the real "hot" one? Plus, there is way too much "lol, just like takumi kekekekekeke" stigma with that car.

Last edited:
If you want a car to sharpen your skills on get a E30 325is. One of the best front engine rear drive platforms ever made.

Do they exist in america? I mean the real "hot" one? Plus, there is way too much "lol, just like takumi kekekekekeke" stigma with that car.

Yes they do. There is one in my town a guy wants $1500 for in very nice condition, although I've since decided I want an Integra. If by "hot" you mean the 130hp, 4A-GE equipped GTS model, yes they sold them here. Rare, but they do indeed exist. The one I looked at was the real deal.

If you want a car to sharpen your skills on get a E30 325is. One of the best front engine rear drive platforms ever made.

Great cars, but they're shockingly rare and the ones that aren't usually have 160k+ miles on it. Either it's a testament to BMW's spirited enthusiast owners, or an example of how LeMons-worthy they are nowadays.

I'll LT swap it if it blows up (I sound like a broken record, but i really actually prefer the LT1 to the LS1. the LS1 generates more horsepower then torque, and that is blasphemy.), but i would like to keep the original motor.

On second thought, i'll keep my eye out for a Z instead of a ZX.

Last edited:
No way. Pushrods...ftw. :p 400 cam-only whp sounds like sweet breast milk to me.

Indeed :lol:. Not to mention that a LS1 is probably lighter than a L28ET. A 280ZX really doesn't sound too bad to me. For instance, I would feel bad running the piss out of a nice early 240Z, or chopping it up and gutting it. But a 280ZX seems more ... disposable. Heh, I think I'll look for one when the Celica inevitably explodes.