280ZX - Even worth looking at?

If the Integra is anything like the Honda Prelude, I'll wholly recommend that car. The Prelude is probably the best F-F layout car I've ever driven.

I'd wait till you have more money and buy the 240z, I think you'd be majorly disappointed with the 280z and be out a few grand that could have gone to the 240z. Don't buy just because you want something, a 240 can be had for a reasonable amount. If it's really a car you want wait until you can afford it.

Back many moons ago when I looked extensively into swapping engines into Z's, I remember learning the 280zx was a more rigid chassis, and better suited for a swap. I used to have a website comparing all of the Z cars side by side, but it definitely got deleted out of my favorites years ago.

LT1s are uselss motors. It's the worst of both worlds. I am NOT a fan.

I'd much rather have a car with a Gen I motor and be done with it. But then again, that's exactly what I have. :D

I'd get an older Nissan before I got an LT1 camaro. Now if you were talking LS1 or L98 Camaro... different story. ;)

But LS1 cars are very expensive, and L98 cars are slow. That can be fixed as the smallblock Chevy has more aftermrket support than any other engine in the world. The LT1 on the other hand limits you a lot.

The differences between the LT1 and gen I motors is:
Optispark (Which sucks, right under the water pump so if the water pump leaks you gotta replace it, expensive and prone to failure)
Reverse-flow cooling (They changed it back to normal flow for the LS1 motors if that tells you anything)
Fuel injection setup - With a Gen I motor you can go to a proper carb or even a Miniram which is what the LT1 system is based on.

The advantage of the older smallblock chevies is aftermarket support, the advantage of LS1s is astonishing performance ,and a quickly growing amount of aftermarket support. The LT1 is kind of the redheaded stepchild of smallblocks. They have potential, but so does everything else, and unfortunately because they only made them for 5 years (As opposed to 50 for the original smallblock) they'll never have more aftermarket support than they do now.

If i got a 300ZX or MR2, i would be laughed out of my (domestic) car friends,

You would? In that case, either ask your friends what they actually think or get new ones. You shouldn't be forced into a car because your friends have peas for brains. Furthermore I have plenty of muscle car and redneck friends that loved my MR2, they never even remembered that it was a Toyota because to them it just didn't seem like one. I however am speaking of a 1st gen MR2, the second gen is a little girlier, even if the turbo could run 14s out of the factory.

Look how secksay it is! How can you compare that to a MR2?

By stating the fact that both are obvious copies of European cars, the MR2 however actually offers something unique.

Errghgh..... I'm a bit defensive because the MR2 is one of those cars that follows the story of my life, just like the Dog i once owned, its a rare breed that nobody seems to know about, and despite actually being interesting and great in so many ways nobody pays attention to it. So please forgive me if I'm a bit of a prick.

Personally i'd try to stick with the first gen Z car, i swear there was a year or two of S30 280z, but i'm probably wrong.

^-- Besides the fact that i want a Z of some kind, i've kinda already done the 5S-FE thing! :D (see sig). I've always had a special love for it because it gives me hope that with a little more compression my boring old camry has at least one bit in it that belongs in a sports car! Have nothing but good things to say about my motor, liked it so much i bought it twice! About my friends i was exaggerating, i wouldn't really be "laughed out". But i was hoping to supplement my lack of mechanical knowledge with their help, and they seem confused my japanese motors. (this problem also applies with the S30 however)

@ Infernalvortex: If you're buying a GM product for reliability then you're barking up the wrong tree, the LS1 to me seems like a differant kind of engine from the LT1, its high revving, (as already stated) it develops less torque then horsepower and most of the cars that use it seem to be slow. Although in no case can i honestly say its only the motors fault. The LT1 seems like more of a throwback to the old style SBC, the LS1 is the first of the new-style ones that i dont really like. (other then the LS2, the LS series so far has been underwhelming. I wouldnt be caught dead with a LS3)

Beating LS1s, even LS1 F bodies is almost a given in my LT1 circle. (But 2 out of the 5 cars are currently parked with broken engines :D One of them caught on (minor) fire with me in it! And the water pump isnt over the opti, it sort of bolts on in front of it. All we do is wait for it to break and replace it with a fancy MSD unit. Job done!

Last edited:
^-- Besides the fact that i want a Z of some kind, i've kinda already done the 5S-FE thing! :D (see sig). I've always had a special love for it because it gives me hope that with a little more compression my boring old camry has at least one bit in it that belongs in a sports car! Have nothing but good things to say about my motor, liked it so much i bought it twice! About my friends i was exaggerating, i wouldn't really be "laughed out". But i was hoping to supplement my lack of mechanical knowledge with their help, and they seem confused my japanese motors. (this problem also applies with the S30 however)

@ Infernalvortex: If you're buying a GM product for reliability then you're barking up the wrong tree, the LS1 to me seems like a differant kind of engine from the LT1, its high revving, (as already stated) it develops less torque then horsepower and most of the cars that use it seem to be slow. Although in no case can i honestly say its only the motors fault. The LT1 seems like more of a throwback to the old style SBC, the LS1 is the first of the new-style ones that i dont really like. (other then the LS2, the LS series so far has been underwhelming. I wouldnt be caught dead with a LS3)

Beating LS1s, even LS1 F bodies is almost a given in my LT1 circle. (But 2 out of the 5 cars are currently parked with broken engines :D One of them caught on (minor) fire with me in it! And the water pump isnt over the opti, it sort of bolts on in front of it. All we do is wait for it to break and replace it with a fancy MSD unit. Job done!

The LS1 will always have more potential than an LT1. The only way to equalized them is with the Juice, or forced induction.

And yes that's what I said. THe LT1 is the worst of both worlds - overly computerized without the aftermarket support or flexibility of old smallblocks, and just as slow as old smallblocks without the factory performance of an LS motor. Supercharged, it's anyones race. :D The LT motors respond very well to forced induction, and Im wondering if that has something to do with the reverse-flow cooling system.

But you're right, an LT1 block and an old school block are very similar. But I'd rather have a distributor and be able to use normal cylinder heads. But that's just me. ;) And my new engine build is going to be carbureted... that's a little tricky with an LT1. ;)

:lol: Dont talk to me about crap small blocks, looking at your sig i'm guessing you're running a TPI? :lol:

(i kid i kid, any Fbody owner is like a brother to me :))

Honestly, the LS1 community seems like the kind of person who would opt for an automatic and only take the car out for weekend cruising.
The LT1 folk, we couldn't afford LS1's, and the napoleon complex that results produces some of the most ridiculous motors that you've seen.

We're bunch of idiot 18-22 year olds running around with 125,000 mile 400HP cars :D nothing good can come from it!

[youtube]bzAlwwQs794[/youtube]
[youtube]zBFD1niqftQ[/youtube]

The LS1 will always have more potential than an LT1. The only way to equalized them is with the Juice, or forced induction.

Ported heads and the cam with the most lift you can get and still turn the motor over are mandatory along with a set of roller rockers and GM performance springs. Slap on some drag radials and a 150 shot (optional), and you've got yourself a street beast at a discount price :D Turbo or supercharging kits in most cases cost more then what we paid for the whole car!

(damn, this post makes me want a camaro again)

Last edited:
Actually it's a 305 Throttle Body Injected car right now.

I just got done doing all the supporting mods to make it handle some REAL power (subframe connectors, IROC springs, Koni SA's, headers + dual exhaust) and it's finally gettin close to the day this bad boy goes in:

l_75a6c6fb08e6897b79e8fd4e37a77c5c.jpg

Trust me, I'm no fan of TPI. I am a fan of the aftermarket support for the Gen I smallblock, though.

other then the LS2, the LS series so far has been underwhelming. I wouldnt be caught dead with a LS3

:blink:

No offense, but you are saying some pretty blatantly idiotic things. The LS series (including the LS6, LS7, and LS9, the three best engines General Motors has ever made) is underwhelming compared to the LS2, and that somehow (despite the fact that its more powerful for the same weight AND revs higher) the LS3 is worse than the LS2?

Beating LS1s, even LS1 F bodies is almost a given in my LT1 circle.

Again, I dont understand? What else is there besides the LS1 Fbody? Corvette? From your post it would indicate that the Corvette is actually slower than the Fbodies.

I know LT1's can be pretty strong runners, but the LS1 just blows it out of the water. Cam + Nitrous only cars exceeding 600whp would be impossible with an LT1, but fairly regular with the LS engines.

I would even go as far as to say that the LS series engines are the best engines in the world (power to weight ratio, power to fuel economy ratio, extremely small dimensions, stout construction--SIX BOLT mains, longevity, they are just incredible)

Not trying to be a prick, but you don't make any sense.

Just listen to this beauty go....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64JxqUjcwE[/youtube]

Last edited:
Again, I dont understand? What else is there besides the LS1 Fbody? Corvette?

Corvette

Camaro

Firebird

GTO

and MAYBE the early CTS-V. but i'm not sure about this.

Again, I dont understand? What else is there besides the LS1 Fbody? Corvette? From your post it would indicate that the Corvette is actually slower than the Fbodies.

It is with light and inexpensive modifications. I wouldnt have believed it either if i hadnt seen it for myself.

Corvette

Camaro

Firebird

GTO

and MAYBE the early CTS-V. but i'm not sure about this.

Firebird=T/A=Camaro=Fbody

CTS-V had the LS6 followed by the LS2 (400hp in each)

GTO had the LS1 followed by the LS2 (350hp and 400hp)

It is with light and inexpensive modifications. I wouldnt have believed it either if i hadn't seen it for myself.

I'm not doubting a modded LT1 car could be an LS1 corvette, but the way you had it worded made it appear that beating an LS1 vette is nothing, but beating an LS1 F-body is a big deal, just a misunderstanding.

You would? In that case, either ask your friends what they actually think or get new ones. You shouldn't be forced into a car because your friends have peas for brains. Furthermore I have plenty of muscle car and redneck friends that loved my MR2, they never even remembered that it was a Toyota because to them it just didn't seem like one. I however am speaking of a 1st gen MR2, the second gen is a little girlier, even if the turbo could run 14s out of the factory.

By stating the fact that both are obvious copies of European cars, the MR2 however actually offers something unique.

Errghgh..... I'm a bit defensive because the MR2 is one of those cars that follows the story of my life, just like the Dog i once owned, its a rare breed that nobody seems to know about, and despite actually being interesting and great in so many ways nobody pays attention to it. So please forgive me if I'm a bit of a prick.

Personally i'd try to stick with the first gen Z car, i swear there was a year or two of S30 280z, but i'm probably wrong.

As you guys well know, I'm a huge F-body fan and I love myself some smallblock and big block V8s... but damn I'd love to have an MR2! The 90s MR2s are some damn good looking cars!

To be honest with you, if I were you I'd just make sure I got something rear wheel drive. If it's rear wheel drive your domestic buddies aren't going to taunt you very much. ;)

And LT1 Camaros were the ugliest ever made in my opinion. Get the Nissan - Classic, very light, front engine, rear wheel drive, awesome car, and you can always put a smallblock chevy in it. ;)

And LT1 Camaros were the ugliest ever made in my opinion. Get the Nissan - Classic, very light, front engine, rear wheel drive, awesome car, and you can always put a smallblock chevy in it. ;)

LT1:

P1010021.jpg

LS1:

Kevin%20Camaro%20SS.jpg

:puke: LOOK HOW UGLY THE HEADLIGHTS ARE :puke:

Nothing personal (It pains me to say this because i think you're a cool guy), but all 3rd gens are pretty damn boxy, square and ugly. Every single Camaro, formula, firebird and trans am made in that body style.

Last edited:

Can't say I've ever heard anybody state that, stylistically, the LT1 camaro's were better than the LS1 models. The LS1 body style is an evolution that, IMO, looks drastically better. Trans am of any year looks better than either Camaro though.

I honestly believe the LT1 camaro/ta is better in every way with the exemption of reliability. But it could just be my raving bias.

As far as the T/A looking better: Other than the "fast and the furious" style spoiler of course. (I tease my TransAm Buddy about this endlessly)

neartheweeds.jpg

Anyway, lets try and get back on the subject of datsuns! Are parts for them ridiculously expensive, even if i dont care about concurs (or however the hell you spell that)?

Any information or links at all would be helpful, on either the 240, 260 or 280Z and ZX. Thank you much!

Other than the "fast and the furious" style spoiler of course. (I tease my TransAm Buddy about this endlessly)

Anyway, lets try and get back on the subject of datsuns! Are parts for them ridiculously expensive, even if i dont care about concurs (or however the hell you spell that)?

Any information or links at all would be helpful, on either the 240, 260 or 280Z and ZX. Thank you much!

If you get one, I think the best idea would be to buy a parts car as well, so you have a large source of parts to begin with. Also, Z's are fairly common in junkyards, so you could get parts that route too. The engines (straight six) is pretty simple (at least in the early models, not sure how emissions and such complicated matters) and in general, older cars are easier to work on.

LT1:

P1010021.jpg

LS1:

Kevin%20Camaro%20SS.jpg

Nothing personal (It pains me to say this because i think you're a cool guy), but all 3rd gens are pretty damn boxy, square and ugly. Every single Camaro, formula, firebird and trans am made in that body style.

Different strokes for different folks, I find all 4th gen Camaros hideous. Thirdgens are much more aggressive looking, and they dont suffer from the same Generic-itis that plagued 90s cars like the Camaro did. The 4th gen Camaros just look like women's shoes.

And those cars you listed do look good, but 4th gens dont look good as a whole unless they're lowered. Show me a lowered LT1/LS1 car that looks good and I'll show you a lowered thrdgen taht looks even better.

l_3c14164eecf4e2b4e96bc2f9881a6c9c.jpg

Typical ugly 4th gen LT1

And here's a 1 inch lowered 3rd gen with some run of the mill 17 inch wheels (similar tpyes of mods that were done to your listed 4th gens:

IMG_6552.jpg

If you tell me that's an ugly car I will simply tell you that you have bad taste! :p

Here is mine:
100_5947.jpg

Some 4th gens look good, but they need massive drops because they raised the ride height for the 4th gen cars and tehy look like they're too high off the ground. This has a lot to do with the revised front suspension setup (Which is technically superior btw). The engine is covered by windshield and the car itself just looks like a shoe. The 4th gen TA's look really good though, nowhere near as bland. ANd so what if third gen camaros are boxy? Do people make fun of the Lamborghini Countach for being boxy? No, it's a good looking car, and I Happen to think the thirdgen camaros are damn good looking cars. I know not everyone, or even many people share my opinion, but that's why different opinions make the world go round. :)

Back to Z's. My piece of crap cheap high mileage Camaro has nothig to do with Nissans. :D

And as an American who loves V8s, I'd love to own a 240Z. Very cool cars. :) I'd also love to own an MR2 or NSX... so it's not like I only like american muscle cars. I respect all cool cars... but I have a hard time liking FWD cars... Just doesn't really work forme.

Last edited:
I thought I remember reading somewhere that the 3rd gen fbodys actually had a more ideal suspension all around for road racing than the 4th gens had? Maybe not. I'm sure they are alot lighter anyways!

3rd Gen Camaro > 4th Gen camaro
4th Gen T/a > 3rd Gen T/a

Foxbody > SN95 :lol: