3 best ways to kill yourself on a motorcycle

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Inspired by a snarky comment made by Stiggie in the Religious Thread I thought I'd post this (stolen from a HD forum of all places):

3 best ways to kill yourself on a motorcycle
http://motorcycle-intelligence.com/m...le-crashes/73/

3) Drink and ride. In 41% of fatal single vehical accidents involving motorcycles the rider was drinking

2) Drink and ride on a weekend. The above number jumps to 61% if it is the weekend

1) Don't wear a helmet. Riders who do not wear a helmet are 85% more likely to die or have a permanent brain injury than helmeted riders. They account for 45% of all motorcycle fatalities nationally even though only some states allow riding without one.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/off-topic/776282-3-best-ways-to-kill-yourself-on-a-motorcycle.html

A good deal of motorcycle deaths come from idiots on motorcycles. Several members here have had significant motorcycle crashes (Blind_Io, Spectre, CJ) but they survived by being sober and geared. While riding is more dangerous, it isn't nearly as bad as it is percived for those not among those who practice the above quote.

Love the excuses there on the HD forum.

"Just one drink is fine!" - Sorry, just one drink is a systemic depressant and slows your reaction times noticeably. Considering that we need every edge we can get with the idiots on the roads, deliberately degrading your ability to respond to conditions seems to be rather stupid.

Not exactly groundbreaking news.

Although I'm wondering why weekend fatalities are so much higher, potentially the influx of bikers who don't ride frequently and increased traffic flow outside of rush hour?

Infrequent bikers going out on the town (read: bars) of a weekend, having a few, then crashing.

Not exactly groundbreaking news.

Although I'm wondering why weekend fatalities are so much higher, potentially the influx of bikers who don't ride frequently and increased traffic flow outside of rush hour?

Weekends means more drinking and weekend riders.

Rain after a dry spell does it here - new riders. ? Ooops where's my rear wheel gone?

Yeah. Over here they mention in MSF courses to be weary of fresh rain, but that doesn't mean everyone listens.

I agree with this. I wear full gear all the time. Sometimes the unrelenting anal retentiveness of the ATGATT crowd get's old though. I bought a motorcycle to have fun, to me puritanical snobbery is not fun - be it from the ATGATT folks or the pirates. Nothing worse than meeting up at the end of a group ride to realize someone invited safety Sam.

If someone wants to die from not wearing their gear more power to them. But it needs to be known that motorcycles aren't instant death traps based on statistics that include idiots.

The amount of stupid in that HD forum link is overwhelming

Not gonna read it, previous posts here are enough.

Drinking and driving any vehicle is illegal, deadly and stupid, particularly if you are a motorcylist.

:shakeshead:

Rain after a dry spell does it here - new riders. ? Ooops where's my rear wheel gone?

Couple that with the fact that they love to mark all over the roads here, especially in fast blind corners. "I say chaps, let's make this blind 60mph corner safer by painting a huge curved arrow right in the middle of the lane to let drivers know they're going round a bend that they're already in." :rolleyes:

Rain after a dry spell can catch out experienced riders (i.e. me) too. On my recent trip to Scotland I was just coming into Edinburgh after a light rain and I got on the power just a little too much exiting a roundabout. That's the first time I've ever experienced oversteer on a motorcycle. Had I been a beginner I probably would have frozen up and crashed instead of lightly letting off the throttle and straightening the bike up to let it stabilize.

Man some Harley people though. Quit posting links to their forums. I'm wasting hours and hours! Stop it! :lol:

Man some Harley people though. Quit posting links to their forums. I'm wasting hours and hours! Stop it! :lol:

My dislike of Harleys and their people is nicely summed up in a for sale ad I saw posted at work earlier this week. It's for a 2007 Super Wide Low Fat Boy or something or other and in its five years of existence it's been ridden a grand total of 5,000 miles. Just going on an average my Triumph covered 37,875 miles in that same time. And he wants $18,500 for it. I guess the Harley lifestyle doesn't involve motorcycling riding. :dunno:

I loved riding my little Honda 250 but it would be foolish for me to do it now (That was 25 years ago!). And the score is: Well Hall roundabout (A2) 1 Cobol74 on a super dream 250 0.

Guess who lost their rear end after the rain came down. Og and Kajun - you get the odd metal man hole cover right in the middle of the road - slippery or what?

Last edited:
Can be slick, but some tires are better at dealing with that than others. And modern tires are ridiculously sticky; I've run my Avon tires on the 919 over those polished metal slabs they use to cover up trenches and such in the road and they stuck pretty well even in the rain.

They even do well on those never sufficiently damned slick paint stripes and polished cobblestones, within reason.

Last edited:
Drinking and riding is very stupid, which is why I so prefer to drink and drive.

spray_trollface_copy.png

Agreed responsible drivers get plastered before driving.