3-Car Garage: Restromod edition.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
What is your three car garage if every vehicle had to be at least 25 years old - but updated by a professional shop with modern technology like engine management systems, brakes, suspension, stereo, and AC. All vehicles will need to keep the look and feel of the original aside from minor changes to stance, wheels, and tires.
  • Slot 1: Weekend toy
  • Slot 2: 4 Seats minimum plus luggage - body style doesn't matter.
  • Slot 3: City Runabout - any number of seats, but should be able to commute and stop on the way home for shopping.
Be sure to post photos of your choices. All vehicles must have at least 4 wheels - because I know someone (cough @Kiki cough) will try to turn this in space for 12 different motorcycles.

Okay, let's have a try at this game. Before reading the rules, I was sure that I'm gonna post a Singer 911, but now, I have better plans.

• Slot 1: I'd say it has to be a Porsche 911, since there are no budget limitations and since there's not much you can do to 80s/90s supercars that would improve their quality as a weekend toy. But then, I wouldn't want to ruin a number-matching car or a rare model of a 911, and I certainly wouldn't go for a backdate, as that's overdone and it wouldn't be exactly by the rules of this game. Besides, I'm starting to dig post-1974 more and more lately. So while I originally had an SC/3.2 Carrera planned, I remembered the 964 and 993 have much improved suspension. The 993 would fit my taste ever so slightly better, but then, not much could be done to it. So the plan would be this: take a 964, preferably from some place like California where they are aplenty, but have no rust. I'd take a neglected car that has as little rust as possible and preferably a lower mileage, just so I could get the best body possible. No sunroof either, and I wouldn't care about the engine too much. Then I'd take the car to Mr. Alois Ruf to tune a 993 engine, that'd still be naturally aspirated, and then get someone to have the suspension tuned to match the handling of a 964 Carrera RS, but make it a bit more modern. A modern braking system would be a must. All of that would be finished in Rubystone red with a matching interior, and Carrera RS wheels, for a complete Carrera RS look. Something like this, but without the rear badge:
24744163-1-48.jpg

rubystone_red_964_by_zynos958_ddeva7g-fullview.jpg

11_1493.jpg

• Slot 2: since my fast car ambitions have been fulfilled with a dream-spec 911, I'd want the other two cars to be slightly different, but still fun to drive. For my friends and luggage carrier, it'd have to be either a wagon or a hatchback, since a grill would hardly fit into back of a standard three-boxed sedan. I'm not aiming for circuit speeds this time, so a front-wheel-drive car would be allowed. Missing our BX which won't be back on the road until the pandemics is over, I'd go for an upgraded version of that - a Citroën XM, preferably a Break model. It'd have to be burgundy red, Phase I model with revamped hydraulic suspension and a revamped version of the three-litre PRV V6 engine with 24 valves. I'd modernise it just a little bit, so it's modern enough to be qualified a restomod, but keeping it's supreme late-80s/early-90s French comfort. It'd have to look like this, or even better, just like this, but a Break model:
1992CitroenXM_01_1000-970x499.jpg

• Slot 3: that leaves me with a city runabout, which is a perfect opportunity to throw in a hot hatch, as those are built for that purpose. I wouldn't go for the obvious and avoid the Peugeot 205 GTI/XS/Rallye, and choose its lesser known sibling, the Citroën AX. And similarly to the 911 story, I wouldn't go for a top-end model, but I'd chose a later-model body that's in good condition, yet not newer than 1995 so I don't break the rules. I'd take the Saxo VTR or even Saxo VTS engine, gearbox and suspension and cobble it all together to make a sort of a more modern interpretation of the sporty AX models, the Sport and the GT. In this case, I'd paint the car white, put orange turn indicators, an AX Sport bodykit, and Compomotive MO5 wheels or something similar. It'd look like this:
3888_10649695_1.jpg

citroen-ax-sport-2.jpg

citroen_ax_sport_24.jpg

But it'd have wheels like this:

image;s=644x461

And just for the sake of it, it'd have some sort of red accents on the body, I just can't decide which variant right now. It'd also have no right side mirror and the offset front badge, like the AX Sport, and no rear seats, for maximum luggage capacity.

That's it. I realise that I wouldn't make them crazily restomodded, nor much different from standard cars, but it'd be meaningful modifications just to modernise them a little bit and make them usable, at least from my perspective.

Also, my alternatives for these three would be:
  • Slot 1: Porsche 944 S2 or 964
  • Slot 2: Audi 100 or 200 Avant
  • Slot 3: An early Peugeot 106 modded to look like GTI or Rallye

1: Porsche 964, upgraded by Singer

01-singer-911-point-loma-1100x732.jpg

2: Lamborghini LM002
lm00201.jpg

3: Mazda Miata NA, with LS1 swap and turbo Miata upgrades.

Adam-Miller-Turbo-Mazda-Miata-feature-photo-Roadkill00031.jpg

Slot 1: Weekend toy
Since I don't do a lot of fast canyon driving, I would go with a short wheel-base 4x4. Naturally, that means a -40 series with a modern powertrain, brakes, electrics, and a coilover conversion or at least a good long-travel leaf kit.

06-icon-fj-old-school-fd-1.jpg

Slot 2: 4 Seats minimum plus luggage - body style doesn't matter.
I want something comfortable for long trips that can also tow a trailer. It has to be stylish for getting around town for a night out, but not flashy.

07-east-coast-defender-range-rover-classic-1.jpg

Slot 3: City Runabout - any number of seats, but should be able to commute and stop on the way home for shopping.
This was a hard one for me, I want enough seats for two people plus two small dogs, cargo room for the shopping, and it needs to be small, nimble and fun to drive while also being able to handle the snow. After some thoughts about smaller cars, I went with something a bit bigger - but iconic.

1983_audi_ur-quattro_15423042718debe87250d1a0e41983-Audi-Ur-Quattro-10.jpg

What can I say? I live in a car-friendly city, my work has a parking lot, and I can totally get away with making this my daily. Best part is that it doesn't need a whole lot of mods, new brakes, suspension, rewire it, modern engine management, etc.

Right, time for some questionably photoshopped pictures.

Weekend Toy:
miura.jpg

People Mover + Luggage:
1963conti.jpg

Around Town with a boot:
c8spyder.jpg

I accidentally made the Spyker look like it's wrapped in a chrome vinyl and it's hilarious. :rofl: But you get the idea, it's not like I have a type at all.

For my three vehicles I played by a more inclusive definition but within the rules.
All vehicles must have at least 4 wheels
A classic 70s Conversion Van: Something that really says "for good or bad, terrible, life changing decisions are made in here every moment you stay"

Dodge-street-van-custom-Mopar.jpeg

vaninteriors_04_2500.jpg

vaninteriors_03_2500-700x466.jpg

vaninteriors_33_2500.jpg

Gerring-Streaker-Dodge-Van.jpg

STREAKER3.png

Hop-cap-custom-van.jpg

Hop-Cap-interior.jpg

Gerring-Headrest-interior.jpeg

First Generation Toyota Century: The true luxury sedan from the 60s to mid 90s nothing exudes comfort so much that you request your passengers to take off their shoes

800px-1990_Toyota_Century_%2827248794332%29.jpg

HtAqZK7.jpg

• Slot 3: City Runabout - any number of seats, but should be able to commute and stop on the way home for shopping.

Right on the line the 1995 Buick Rivera. Personal luxury never felt so big... ok they did make them bigger but its the last hurrah of a storied model that is underrated and should be preserved.

800px-1995-1999_Buick_Riviera.jpg

p2020011.jpg

This is tricky but there is scope to bend the rules if we assume that money is no object here. I should point out that all of these would have to be paired to an original example or I would not be able to live with myself.

Alfa Romeo Montreal.

I love the mean look of these things and they're almost too good to mod. It would be too rare to daily but perfect for playing at the weekend.

alfa-romeo_montreal_a_S1920.jpg

Land Rover Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon.

Smooth replacement V8 or even a V12, modern automatic gearbox and as much comfort as you can physically fit in one of these narrow things. Actually, screw it. Just make the whole thing 20cm wider to fit bigger seats and more comfort, it'll roughly match a Discovery 2 in width.

1587218141851.png

Slot 3: City Runabout - any number of seats, but should be able to commute and stop on the way home for shopping.

Dodge Charger Daytona.

Restomod could include an electric conversion too so this could become a legit commuter car and it certainly has decent trunk space. Photo from Horizon 4 as this is how I like my Daytonas.

DaytonaHouse_S1920.jpg

1: Weekend Toy - Alfa Romeo 105 Coupe

Converted by Alfaholics UK to GTA-R, but looking like a 1750 GTV.

1587241101680.png

2: The Family Car - Alfa Romeo Giulia (105)

I'd let Alfaholics fiddle with it too and re-crerate one of their TwinSpark Giulia builds. Or maybe do a Busso V6 swap...

1587240915187.png

3: The City Car - Citroën CX

With a full EV conversion and interior make-over. A 150 km range might be realistic and acceptable.

1587241702997.png

Since I don't do a lot of fast canyon driving, I would go with a short wheel-base 4x4. Naturally, that means a -40 series with a modern powertrain, brakes, electrics, and a coilover conversion or at least a good long-travel leaf kit.

View attachment 3557325

I want something comfortable for long trips that can also tow a trailer. It has to be stylish for getting around town for a night out, but not flashy.

View attachment 3557326

This was a hard one for me, I want enough seats for two people plus two small dogs, cargo room for the shopping, and it needs to be small, nimble and fun to drive while also being able to handle the snow. After some thoughts about smaller cars, I went with something a bit bigger - but iconic.

View attachment 3557327
What can I say? I live in a car-friendly city, my work has a parking lot, and I can totally get away with making this my daily. Best part is that it doesn't need a whole lot of mods, new brakes, suspension, rewire it, modern engine management, etc.

OP delivers, although I would want to change the weekend toy Landcruiser for a bigger model. HDJ80 is more my style. And screw modern tech, I would want the 4.2 liter turbodiesel.

OP delivers, although I would want to change the weekend toy Landcruiser for a bigger model. HDJ80 is more my style. And screw modern tech, I would want the 4.2 liter turbodiesel.
I love the -80 series, to me that is peak Land Cruiser. I was going for the shorter wheel base of the -40 for more off road agility and because so many of the harder trails in my area are more suited to a short wheel base vehicle. If I was going to do an overland touring conversion I would pick the -80 or the -105 with a newer and more efficient diesel engine.

This is a bit of a tough one, as I am all over the map in my tastes and likes. So for now, this is my thoughts.

1. Weekend Toy

I would take my existing 1984 Mustang SVO to a local Mustang restorer for a complete body restoration. I believe there's some older accident damage to address and the paint is tired. Once back from the restorer, I would work with a local race engine builder to build a nice 500 hp Lima 2.3 turbo. Should be easy with a good modern ball bearing turbo, Esslinger aluminum head, custom intake manifold, etc. Some sort of aftermarket engine management would be needed. I'd fit a built T5 transmission behind the engine. Rear end would be a 8.8" with a 31 spline carrier and carbon clutch LSD. Now the tough part, am I going to drag race this or autox/road course? Ideally I'd like to both, so some compromises must be made. I'd like a couple sets of wheels, drag, auto-x and street duty.

13509-1984-Ford-Mustang.jpg

2. Family Car/Road Trip

This one is a bit out in left field for a family car. I want a crew cab Nissan D21, 2wd, lowered, but the engine would come from an early Infiniti Q45 (VH45DE), leaving the oddball spider intake, I'd give it a small turbo that would spool quickly and make this little truck scoot down the highway. The automatic from the Q45 would go in the bin and a 6-speed transmission from a 370Z would take it's place. Suspension on the truck would be lowering spindles, with 5-lug conversion (from a 2wd Toyota Hilux) and the rear-end would be a 8.8 from a Ford Explorer on lowering springs. Body would get the 1995 Magenta color, a modified US market bed, and an early Pathfinder grille/headlight setup. Some 17" or 18" 5-spoke wheels would be the rolling stock. My shitty photoshop doesn't do the idea in my head justice.

purple_crew_cab.png

3. City Runabout

Like @Blind_Io my area is pretty car friendly, so staying with something a bit different, I'll go for a 1991 Acura NSX in silver. Honestly, here there's not much that needs to be done here. Perhaps some cams, exhaust, slight performance suspension and staggered wheels is all it would need.

1991_acura_nsx_1549461263a27d6b49cDSC3057.jpg

Is that weird enough?

Slot 1: I'm lucky that I already own the vehicle for this one, my trusty beat 1985 Jeep. A small modern aluminum V8, NV4500 for granny gear, Atlas T-case and maybe upgrade suspension enough for 35s would take care of my offroad adventuring needs.

i-LXMJw2V-X2.jpg

Slot 2: Square body 3/4 ton suburban. 4 seats? Try at least 8. Modern EFI big block and OD auto trans are all the upgrades it needs.

i-fPNXqPS.jpg

Slot 3: Commuter car, hmmm. So many to choose from, all with angry v8s and manual transmissions. Just to keep some variety, I'd be extremely happy with a 70 Boss 302 with an 8,000rpm small block and a 6 speed.

i-qxtThrp.jpg

Last edited:
Could I suggest something other than a heavy V8 in the Jeep? It will be lighter, way cooler, and someone's already done it with at CJ7 and put it on Youtube.

Shame we don't live closer, I would absolutely come drink your beer and help with a Jeep heart transplant.

I'm just not diesel guy. Specs say that cummins is 503 pounds. From what I can find, the aluminum block LS motors come in around 400-425 fully dressed. I could have one in a very mild state of tune with 300hp and 350ft lbs that would run until the end of time. Plus, V8 noise is more better. :D

Edit: Further googling reveals the Jeep 4.0 in it now is at least 515 pounds, so either one is lighter than the lump in it now.

Last edited:
Slot 1: '73 K5 Blazer with an LS and locked Dana 60s.
1587747855757.jpeg

Slot 2: 1970 Roadrunner with a 440 and 4 speed. Fancy aluminum heads, EFI, real brakes/line lock, Hotchkiss suspension, and most importantly, electric cutouts right behind the headers :D
1587747967507.jpeg

Slot 3: 930-era 911 Targa with a 4 liter GT3RS motor and suspension work to accommodate Bilstein PSS10s
1587748009188.jpeg

Datsun 240ZG for the weekend. I imagine that with fuel injection and a bit of suspension faffery one of these would be very enjoyable combined with the original 6-pot.

1972-nissan-fairlady-240zg_0.jpg

Daily load lugger shall be a Mercedes W124 estate. Possibly a big capacity petrol EFI with an 5 speed autobox, was thinking TDI power of some description but diesel seems to be on it's way out these days...

GBJ99.jpg

City commuter box. Already got it. Fuel injection and a 5-speed manual would be nice

DSC_2938 (Copy).JPG

My dreams are starting to settle into a particular groove because these are all variants of cars I've already owned.
V6-swapped Mk2 MR2 (3.5-liter 2GR-FE) with some very fruity intake and exhaust so it can sound like this.

Saab 9000 Carlsson (first facelift), either with a later 2.3 liter 9000 Aero engine upgrade or, to shoot the moon, throwing in the V8 from a Lancia Thema 8.32. Suspension upgraded with 25mm sway bars all around but otherwise using stock replacements.

1587773046908.png

Saab 96 with suspension restored with factory replacements (rubber, shocks) and engine replaced with a Triumph Rocket 3-cylinder engine. Transmission rebuilt and beefed up so as to keep the column shifter.
1587773375107.png

Last edited: