30 Day Wait for a Part from Chrslyer?

JohnK

My friend has a relatively new Dodge SRT with the Viper engine.
The power steering pump was making a strange noise so he took it to the dealer. The dealer says it is the power steering pump and they replace it.
The morning after he picked truck up, he get in and starts it up. The power steering unit start spraying fluid all over. He takes the truck back to the dealer and they say the high pressure fitting and hose need to be replaced. I assume, they damaged the fitting when swapping the pump. Here is the catch, the fitting they say is on "international" back order and will not be available till the end of October.
Bright side is they did give him a rental car til he gets his truck back.

k

My friend has a relatively new Dodge SRT with the Viper engine.
The power steering pump was making a strange noise so he took it to the dealer. The dealer says it is the power steering pump and they replace it.
The morning after he picked truck up, he get in and starts it up. The power steering unit start spraying fluid all over. He takes the truck back to the dealer and they say the high pressure fitting and hose need to be replaced. I assume, they damaged the fitting when swapping the pump. Here is the catch, the fitting they say is on "international" back order and will not be available till the end of October.
Bright side is they did give him a rental car til he gets his truck back.

Welcome to dealing with Government Motors.

or FIAT of America. A lot of it may have to do with their restructuring.

How are those factory Jaguar parts Spectre? :p

This doesn't seem normal to me, as I believe Fed-X services most of the world.

If it's on international backorder, then there aren't any of the parts laying around in the world to Fed-Ex anywhere. Annoying yes, but that sort of thing happens.

or FIAT of America. A lot of it may have to do with their restructuring.

How are those factory Jaguar parts Spectre? :p

Yes, but given that Jaguar's a foreign make, you expect to perhaps be waiting a while for parts. That's one of the things that "import" implies.

You don't expect to be waiting a month for a domestic part.

The other half of the equation is that the American Leyland dealer, showing the typical care for customer vehicles for which they are famous, destroyed the original part thus necessitating this wait....

Last edited:
Spectre, the fact that it takes 30 days instead of NEVER from Chrysler is because of the Government.

Spectre, the fact that it takes 30 days instead of NEVER from Chrysler is because of the Government.

And at what cost to people who do not own or want to own Chryslers? I know after my Jeep experience I never wished to give Chrysler another penny, but the government saw fit to give my tax money to support a lazy bunch of asshats instead. Chrysler should have been broken up and sold to the highest bidder.

The funny part is that this guy could probably go to a custom hose shop and have a better than stock hose set made up for about $30-50.

Last edited:
30 days sounds quick for a Fiat subsidiary.

The funny part is that this guy could probably go to a custom hose shop and have a better than stock hose set made up for about $30-50.

Great idea, I told him he should try the junkyards but I doubt there are many
Dodge SRT V10 Pickups to be found in them.
Problem is it is still under warranty, and they can't replace it with a used part.

Last edited:
And at what cost to people who do not own or want to own Chryslers?

It's about the same as two years of transfer payments to Israel to help them build their military. We aren't getting much ROI on that, are we?

At least the people being bailed out are Americans that are still paying their taxes, paying their mortgages and contributing back to their local economy, which is something they'd be unlikely to do had they all lost their jobs without the bailout.

It's about the same as two years of transfer payments to Israel to help them build their military. We aren't getting much ROI on that, are we?

At least the people being bailed out are Americans that are still paying their taxes, paying their mortgages and contributing back to their local economy, which is something they'd be unlikely to do had they all lost their jobs without the bailout.

I'm sure Spectre will say that he, as I, didn't agree with sending our tax money to Israel either.

I think I'll let Spectre handle rebutting the second part.

The Israeli payments are a foreign policy decision - which I don't agree with either. Nor do I agree with the payments to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc., etc. (Note: I find it interesting that you singled out Israel but didn't mention Saudi Arabia, who is even less needy for financial aid, yet has been receiving it since, if memory serves, the Carter Administration.)

On the other hand, let's see here. By bailing out Chrysler, the government bails out the union that spent $400 million getting them elected... yeah, that's not corrupt or anything.

And let's not forget that the only cars that Chrysler seems to be able to sell aren't made in the US, so those people will be losing their jobs anyway. Basically, a bunch of taxpayer money has been tossed down a hole. Most of the US plants are closing now, plus much of it went to employ Mexicans and Canadians, not your mythical Americans.

Last edited:
The Israeli payments are a foreign policy decision - which I don't agree with either. Nor do I agree with the payments to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc., etc.

Called it!

Called it!

Of course. Financial aid to foreign governments is a method of buying affection aka bribery of foreign governments.

Especially annoying when you realize that the people who get the most aid are usually the ones least in need of it.

It's essentially a modern form of the old concept of "tribute". We tried that back when this country was first formed and we all know what happened then.

Millions for defense. Not one cent for tribute.

Last edited:
It's about a 2 month wait for the rear shock absorber mounting bolts for my 205 at the moment!

Has been out of production 15 years mind....

On the other hand, let's see here. By bailing out Chrysler, the government bails out the union that spent $400 million getting them elected... yeah, that's not corrupt or anything.

"The union" in question is made up of a whole bunch of working-class people in states that generally have little else in the way of major industry.

And let's not forget that the only cars that Chrysler seems to be able to sell aren't made in the US, so those people will be losing their jobs anyway.

I'm guessing you mean the Chrysler Town & Country, 300, Dodge Charger, etc., which are built in Ontario. Two things which you'll have little local insight to, living thousands of miles away as you do.

One: a very large number of parts for these cars are built in the U.S. and shipped across the border to Canada. I currently live within sight distance of the Ambassador Bridge and deal on a near-daily basis with all those trucks with the word CHRYSLER written on the side that are crossing the border and bringing those parts into Canada, and to the factories along the 401 corridor. Some of those parts are made in union shops; some aren't. FWIW, the people in the union shops make a fair bit more.

Two: Chrysler got a sizable bailout in Ontario, too (nearly $4 billion), which has been in Liberal Party control for several years, and were elected (and re-elected) with the help of the unions -- who traditionally vote with the NDP. That money is what is being used to keep Chrysler solvent and paying workers during a time which sales of some of Chrysler's best vehicles is halved because of circumstances that have nothing to do with Chrysler's business practices, no matter how poor they've been. Oh, and Chrysler and GM in Canada h

Basically, a bunch of taxpayer money has been tossed down a hole.

Again, when you "bail out" someone in their own country, you're giving them money which they in turn spend in their own country, and pay back to the government in the form of taxes.

So it's not a 100% loss. It's a big loss, yes, and certainly I'm not going to try to bullshit you or anyone with wild theories that Chrysler will repay all their bailout dollars like they did the in 1980s, but it just isn't as big of a loss as if tens of thousands of people lost their jobs, which would cascade to hundreds of thousands of people....

Most of the US plants are closing now, plus much of it went to employ Mexicans and Canadians, not your mythical Americans.

You're trying to slice this argument both ways, but that's not going to stick -- either the bailout money has gone to "the unions", which is comprised entirely of AMERICAN WORKERS, or it hasn't.

And, as I said, money they goes into an American's pocket will largely stay in the United States. It doesn't matter if the workers are unionized or not... nothing could be less relevant. They're still Americans.

There's still the grim reality that plants like Sterling Heights would have been closed by now had the bailout not happened. Word has come around this week that Sterling Heights is actually going to stay open through 2012. Dumping thousands of people onto the dole line in the middle of a one-state depression would be an extremely bad thing, and would only make a tenuous situation worse.

But maybe that's what you really want -- maybe you really do hate America so much that you want to see Michigan's economy completely collapse and take out a big chunk of Ohio and Indiana with it.

Last edited:
Two: Chrysler got a sizable bailout in Ontario, too (nearly $4 billion), which has been in Liberal Party control for several years, and were elected (and re-elected) with the help of the unions -- who traditionally vote with the NDP. That money is what is being used to keep Chrysler solvent and paying workers during a time which sales of some of Chrysler's best vehicles is halved because of circumstances that have nothing to do with Chrysler's business practices, no matter how poor they've been.

Going to take this one little part of that.

So Chrysler shouldn't be responsible enough to keep THEMSELVES solvent? We, the taxpayers, should do it for them? Look at Ford. Their sales were cut just as much, have they taken government money and been overrun by the UAW? No. They haven't. Soooo then they didn't need our money to stay solvent. They, as a company, kept themselves solvent. No industry should get to complain that "Factors outside of our control made us go bankrupt waaaah" and get our money. If they go bankrupt, they go bankrupt. Plain and SIMPLE. It's bullshit, plain and simple, whatever way you cut it.

Last edited: