318 V8 vs. 225 Slant Six

HonchoRyanC

Car(s)
1980 Plymouth Volare Custom Wagon
My dad just asked what I wanted as a gradumuation present and I said that I wanted my engine or the next engine I get to be rebuilt with quality performance parts. I have been thinking really hard about what would be better. I have my 225 in there and thought maybe I could have everything in it replaced and have it bored over. I have seen some videos where the engine is really nice. Along with much higher gas mileage and the known fact that a slant six can run for a long time. A 318 has pros as of just being a V8 and more power. I can just buy a 318 and have it done right. So what would be the best way to go?

Or... you could turbo your 225.

The 225 was origonally meant to be an alluminum block, so it's super thick walled. Therefore you can run super high boost on it. I've only seen it done a couple times, but IMO it's a really cool idea. You basically get V8 power/torque with the six's (relatively) good mileage.

To do it right you'd obviously have to rebuild the motor set up for a turbo, but it sounds like you were going to do that anyways. So that's just my 2 cents.

I agree with JipJopJones, if you're doing a rebuild anyway a blower would suit nicely.

Just get a damn Aussie Hemi-slant six and have the best of both worlds!

I have to ask... why a 318? I would start tossing out other engine displacements using the same block but I don't know much of Chrysler v8 engines (360?) Admittedly I have a hot rod mag laying around with a pretty sweet build of a 318 that puts down some VERY nice numbers, and wasn't all that expensive to build.

Last edited:
Boost it, then take it to the South Bend Region vs. Fort Wayne Region autocross at the Coliseum so I can see it :burnrubber:

You'll have it done by the 21st right?

Or... you could turbo your 225.
I just saw that and that was what motivated this idea. Sounds expensive I may have to chip for that one. I will have to check pricing for that.

Just get a damn Aussie Hemi-slant six and have the best of both worlds!

I have to ask... why a 318? I would start tossing out other engine displacements using the same block but I don't know much of Chrysler v8 engines (360?) Admittedly I have a hot rod mag laying around with a pretty sweet build of a 318 that puts down some VERY nice numbers, and wasn't all that expensive to build.

318 has the most bang for the buck

Boost it, then take it to the South Bend Region vs. Fort Wayne Region autocross at the Coliseum so I can see it :burnrubber:

You'll have it done by the 21st right?

21st of June? I am thinking this won't be happening that soon, I am currently working on getting the suspension done and everything bought for it along with minor things that are breaking on it from wear and tear. Then I am thinking of sending it out east to for the body to be restored. But I would love to come anyway, I was thinking of join that. scca club right?

Last edited:
If you can't afford/do the 225 w/turbo right. Forget it and do the 318, because you can get good power out of it and nothing beats the sound of a V8.

A turbo 225 is just something cool that is a bit different. That's why I like it.

21st of June? I am thinking this won't be happening that soon, I am currently working on getting the suspension done and everything bought for it along with minor things that are breaking on it from wear and tear. Then I am thinking of sending it out east to for the body to be restored. But I would love to come anyway, I was thinking of join that. scca club right?
Yeah, it's SCCA sponsored, to be honest I don't know if I'll be able to make it either, it's three coworker's vacations this week and another is out with a hernia and another is training for a promotion all week, think I'll miss another event.

It's good fun if you can make it though, bring any car, $15 (I think?) and you should be able to run. Either that or you can usually get a ride along if you shmooze some of the guys.

As for the car, if it's long term you have to remember also turbo's are expensive to maintain, as in, extra gas to cover the 318 expensive.

Last edited:
If you can't afford/do the 225 w/turbo right. Forget it and do the 318, because you can get good power out of it and nothing beats the sound of a V8.

A turbo 225 is just something cool that is a bit different. That's why I like it.

Ditto.