3D Printing

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
15,357
Location
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Completed a project on the 3D printer today. I was fed up of scratching my arm when reaching around the back of the machine to turn it on and off, so got hold of a switch on Amazon. A nice green one with illumination. Easy to cut a small hole in the side of the case and then remove the wires from the existing switch. Oddly, the wires that went from the mains IEC socket to the switch and then to the power supply were neutral, but red. The live wires are black, obviously someone was having an off day in the factory. I used proper blue wire from an old mains power lead and wired up the new switch to toggle the neutral as before and used heat shrink to cover as much of the exposed terminals as possible.



Also in this photo are the 24V to 12V dropper boards for the Noctua fans I've now installed and a relay that I will mention another time.


I didn't really pay much attention to the wiring of the LED inside the DPST switch, so just switching one side of the circuit isn't enough to bring the light on. I don't mind...

Half an hour later and the incorrect coloured wire combined with the want for illumination meant I made up two new live wires in shit-your-pants brown to match. That sweet, sweet green light is worth the extra work.



 
Last edited:

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
15,357
Location
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Well this post got out of hand. I only intended to write up the project from today but I just kept seeing projects I had completed earlier in the year and wanted to add them, fortunately I've made a macro in Notepad++ to make thumbnails so this isn't as much of a clusterfuck as it could've been.

First I did the upgrades to my CNC machine, which centred around a new spindle motor and holder, printed from carbon fibre reinforced PLA.



This is the same machine I have the laser head fitted to now, milling was still a bit scary and you can't crash a laser.

Second was a holder for an SSD bay thing built into my Fredde desk. I was fed up of the SSD from my Atomos Ninja V dangling from the USB adapter so made this to use some wasted space and make it so I can just slot the SSD in. The LED from the USB SATA adapter is carried to the front with some fibre optic tube, I still have quite a bit left over from adding a bit to my keyboard to illuminate my caps key. It almost works too well, it's very bright.




Next was a set of 'hubs' for the wheel hangers I have in the garage. The centres of the Tesla 20" alloys are much larger than the hangers so when hung they slump over backwards. I knew from the start that they would be in two parts and made some prototypes to get the diameters and steps correct.

As I was writing this I remembered that I had screenshots from Fusion so this whole thing got more complicated. I started by loading the bolts I had into Fusion from the McMaster-Carr catalogue, very sadly they don't supply the UK but you can still load 3D models from their vast range. Unsurprisingly they had the simple M6 bolt I was using at the right length so I imported it and modified it to remove the threads, bring the previously threaded part down to the tapping diameter for M6 and extend the head until it stuck out. Once subtracted from the existing model this would create the void for the bolts. As you can see, the bolts only just fit inside.




Fitted onto the garage wall.




With an extra hole added and a bolt through to a drilled and tapped hole in the metal tube, this is to stop the thing moving when I tried to put the wheel on. It was easier than trying to make the fit tighter.


Finally onto todays project, I got some Edding 751 fine paint markers for Christmas and needed somewhere to put them. I already have a couple of Edding 750 fat paint markers which are great but they float around on my desk and sometimes get knocked off with other pens, adding another 10 to this would be a disaster. Time to solve all three issues at once.



I did a few test parts first to get the fit right before printing the whole thing, also added stepped holders for my thin sharpie and whiteboard marker.

Trivia time: The business card on the left in the second image is for the hotel we ate at in Portree, Isle of Skye during the 2016 roadtrip, the SSD is a crappy Kingston one, don't buy one and the memory stick you can just see in the bottom left is 64MB and from 2005 or something. So much junk on my desk and it all has a story.
 
Top