• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

3D Printing

I MAY have accidentally a P1S in the currently going Bambu sale :| what do I need to print first, apart from the obligatory benchy? 🙈

Edit: … probably a bunch of similar cases to the ones posted above 😜
Obviously, all the add-on parts for the printer itself. A tool holder for the wrenches and spatulas and pliers to hang off the side. A "poop bucket" if you got the AMS, or if you're planning to get it later (which you should :p). A holder for the print bed sheets. Possibilities are endless, really :)

A "poop bucket" if you got the AMS, or if you're planning to get it later (which you should :p).
I did not… cause that seemed excessive. While I do have two friends that own AMSsss, I don’t really get the 50% price increase benefit vibe from it 🙈
Possibilities are endless, really :)
yeah that’s the thing… that can be a little paralyzing. So starting out with printer add ons sounds like a great idea! Cheers

Ah, the unwritten standard model for 3D printer testing :) We have a whole fleet of the damn things at work, in various colors, some in multiple (from AMS and multi-tool testing)... no idea what to do with them.

Yours looks pretty clean. Is that the G-code that came pre-sliced on the SD card?

Last edited:
Yours looks pretty clean. Is that the G-code that came pre-sliced on the SD card?
Yep, that’s the one. Probably ran a lot faster than is really sensible… apart from the glossy/matte transition about 1/3 of the way up and a tiny bit of mess on the rear „numberplate“, it is remarkably clean.

IMG_4798.jpeg

ok first few little items... they came out very well. with the battery crate I had a little stringing (that could be pulled off with fingers) and a little weirdness on the overhangs (no supports in the openings, so I'm surprised that worked at all), the unifi switch bracket I added supports but am not sure I would've needed them. came off and cleaned up very nicely.

also I got the printer into home assistant to monitor progress etc. - mainly just want to look at the camera picture - because the bloody mobile app really is full on chinesium imo... also Bambu studio on Mac keeps dropping connection to the printer (showing disconnect message) but keeps updating the picture, so that's weird :p
will add a little automation shit with a remote socket to turn the printer on and off without running down to the basement.

next: poop chute. yeeees.

Having the printer in HA is neat. I monitor mine via HA remotely (no cloud connection or cloud camera setup on the Prusa Mini), and also have it set up to auto turn off the power after a print is finished and the nozzle has cooled down to below 30°. Plus progress and warning indications on the smart mirror, so I can watch it work down in the cellar while I'm going about my stuff in the apartment.

well crap - I had something typed up, managed to close safari... and the auto save hadn't caught. bollocks. here we go again.

I came up with some stuff:

1. a lantern-shelf-carrier-thing for the cargo bike. in the dark months (good timing right), our daughter likes to have some light in the cargo bike (also good for safety I guess). we used to have this little garden lantern thing dangling from the tentpoles of the old cargo bike rain cover, but the new one is too flexible and doesn't have anything to attach it to. but it does have some screw holes in the frame, right at the top of the box. the screw only holds the thing in place, while it rests nicely and squarely on both the top of the box as well as the inside wall (with 3 ribs at the back there). weird angles bloody everywhere!
somehow I managed to make it fit nicely with the weird angles of the box, but screwed up the comparably simple measurements of the lantern (or rounded in the wrong direction, more like...). so it's actually too small, but that just means the lantern sits so snugly, once convinced in, that I don't even have to think about securing it with a strap or anything. might file out the non-fitting hole, just so it sits level on the shelf-floor... apart from that: happy days.
1718881967599.png
1718881988389.png

b) inspired by this post by @Eye-Q , I fiddled with an existing design for a similar Garmin varia radar saddle-rail-holder-thing in order to lengthen it some and have a hidden pocket for an AirTag. again, I screwed up just a little with my first print, since I thought I wouldn't need any supports for a 45° overhang... but I did. but this again just means that the AirTag sits super snug without wiggling in the slightest (tbh it probably would with a proper print as well) and the whole thing actually looks quite nice. I don't really trust the zip-tie mounting solution of the original design and am actually already thinking of having a v2 that's more of an aero wedge behind the seat-post (with the AirTag stuffed in lengthwise)... but that'll be for another day. for a usable version, I'll probably go and find some PETG, rather than trust the PLA. although, if it does snap off, at least there's gonna be an AirTag in there, right? :p
1718881902828.png
1718881931873.png

edit: yes I could've printed the garmin mount too... I guess. or directly made it part of the piece, but that was too much work.

Last edited:
That's really neat! And here I thought you'd be running out of ideas what to print :p

I'm also still looking for a good AirTag attachment for my bicycle. So far, haven't found anything I'm happy with, short of stuffing it inside the frame. Replacing some hardware holder with an extended version with the AirTag inside is a decent idea, I need to look around what would be suitable for a similar workaround on mine.

So far, haven't found anything I'm happy with, short of stuffing it inside the frame. Replacing some hardware holder with an extended version with the AirTag inside is a decent idea
yeah... anything that isn't something related to another hardware piece on the bike will be really obvious... the ones trying to hide behind the bottle holders are really obvious, most of the time. this one actually seems fairly obvious as well, tbh - hence my idea for a v2 where the added bulk from the AirTag will be cloaked by pretentious aero shenanigans.

That's really neat! And here I thought you'd be running out of ideas what to print :p
nah, there's enough stuff going on :p only most of it is just printing stuff straight from maker world and printables, i.e. boring!
actually... did a vase with the vase mode thing this morning, where most people will tell you that they won't be watertight (because only 1 wall), but the model I went with advises to increase wall thickness to 0.8mm... and so far, as in over the last 5 hours or so, it's held the water just fine. fingers crossed or whatever!

also also: I did a toothpaste squeeze and roll thing which ended up being way bigger than I originally thought... until I put the toothpaste tube in and discovered that it actually fits perfectly. huh.

That's really cute. As you said you don't have an AMS, how many parts is that made up of? I wonder if someone has made a cute little BR HST variant.

As you said you don't have an AMS, how many parts is that made up of?
Or do I? 😜
ALRIGHT DAMN IT! 🤣

It is actually made of multiple parts to keep color changes to a minimum. The top comes off, so that’s a separate part entirely. Apart from that, everything but the bottommost white stripe is printed on a second plate and then glued on… which is a good choice imo. Printing it directly would probably result in 100+ color changes and thus ALL THE POOP 💩

Actually the Bahn writing next to the S logo is also printed in white, but I was too lazy to finagle that on there. So in total it’s 16 parts, of which 14 are so tiny that they come out to like 10 g incl waste (which at that point is like 75% but who cares).

I was trying to work out how it would be practical without an AMS, as you never said you had it yet I thought you were just torturing yourself.

I was trying to work out how it would be practical without an AMS, as you never said you had it yet I thought you were just torturing yourself.
Haha, nah I’m long past the point of torturing myself 😜

Apart from the S and DB logos I think this would even be perfectly doable without AMS and doing manual filament changes, since that’d result in just one change for each color.

I now have two of those to make a full S-Bahn train. although it irks me just a little that the local S1 doesn’t actually go to the airport 🤣

Also made these two little hook things (also to remind myself of uni CAD stuff some 15 (!) years ago*) to go on the cargo bike to facilitate a rear rain cover. The current cover is open to the rear and while that’s not an issue while riding it can be when stationary (and with wind from the wrong direction). Luckily, there’s two M5 rivets on the frame on top of the box some 20cm forward from the handlebars where these two will go. First foray into petg, completely without issue.
IMG_4905.jpeg

* holy balls that’s as long time ago. Also: how is CAD still as annoying as it was back then?

Our kitchen sink drip tray always used to have a more or less grimy rag lying in its own little puddle of filth along with n wash clothes for the kiddo - all of it looking and, after max two days, also smelling rather messy.
So I took some measurements, fired up the cad, spent like 10 minutes on a first prototype thing… and it just fit. Snapped on nicely, if a little loose and did exactly what I wanted from it. Made a v2 that’s a little longer, has sturdier arms and more pronounced „teeth“ to grab the tray (also below, can’t be seen in the pictures). Nice!
IMG_5004.jpegIMG_5005.jpegIMG_5008.jpeg

Wanted a phone holder for my Model 3, since the OEM charging pad is a) a bit far away to grab the phone quickly when stopped and b) is more an inductive heater than a charger. Looked around and found nothing I really liked, so off to Fusion 360 I went, and this came out:

IMG_1439.jpeg IMG_1434.jpeg

After a couple iterations on the design, almost a perfect contour fit. Sits really solidly, and the MagSafe puck allows to quickly throw the phone on there and take it off. Plus it charges faster and heats up much less than on the OEM pad in the back. Win!