Ownership Verified: 47 buys a young Czech girl from the internet...2014 ?koda Octavia

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia & Fabia
So after many moons of thoughs and wants, we decided to buy this girl

Love that face

Nice backside too

Plenty of space in the back, not that I personally use it though, hehe

proof pic, didn't feel like getting a pen and paper

We're hoarding ?kodas! Here she is with her older, smaller sister :)

I was going to do a sort of walkaround video at first, but meh :D

So, just a quick summary, it's a 2014 ?koda Octavia
1.6 TDI with some 105HP and a 5 speed manual. When we got her she had 56200km. Now she's up to 60k and going in for an interval service tomorrow.

There was some 'stuff' happening in these 2 months that we've had her, but I'll get to that tomorrow:D

NEW CAR! WOOHOO!! :mrgreen:

Had one of these as a rental in UK, hooned it through Wales, was suprisingly nippy and well balanced, had DSG though, which was a letdown with this small engine. Enjoy it and don't crash!

:thumbsup:

Nice. Congrats.

Congrats, you bought a car you can see literally everywhere in CZ, especially in this shade of grey :)

My dad has currently an OIII 1.6 TDI Combi with DSG in the same color as a company car and I've driven it two weeks ago. Except for driving an automatic for the first time in my life, I can't say it was a particularly memorable or appealing experience. The abruptly biting brakes and steering completely devoid of life come to mind. But it allows for a completely effortless cruising, it's reasonably spacious and the boot allows for a lot of air to be transported around :p Seriously though, there are moments I'd appreciate that.

I just hope your engine treats you better than the 1.6TDI in my dad's previous OII, it needed a new turbo at 70k and later another one at around 150k km... again a company car so he didn't really care. BTW what was your reason to go with a TDI instead of a TSI?

No estate? Ts.... ;)
Yeah, I'm in shock too. Had the same shock when I found out that somebody bought an even less practical cabriolet lately. Thehe.

Anyway, back to the Skoda: I drove a 2015 estate version a while ago and truly loved the looks and the design. Skoda does that just right.
Besides: Congratulations! Sure, that engine isn't going to rip the tarmac off the streets but I bet that thing is frugal like heck. So anytime you see Icebone mocking my Audi's fuel consumption feel free to throw in your lower number, thank you very much. :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks guys! This is actually my first car. Our old Punto is just in my name, not really mine, and the Fabia is wife's. So, this is my first car really. At 31...way to go :D

Congrats, you bought a car you can see literally everywhere in CZ, especially in this shade of grey :)

My dad has currently an OIII 1.6 TDI Combi with DSG in the same color as a company car and I've driven it two weeks ago. Except for driving an automatic for the first time in my life, I can't say it was a particularly memorable or appealing experience. The abruptly biting brakes and steering completely devoid of life come to mind. But it allows for a completely effortless cruising, it's reasonably spacious and the boot allows for a lot of air to be transported around :p Seriously though, there are moments I'd appreciate that.

I just hope your engine treats you better than the 1.6TDI in my dad's previous OII, it needed a new turbo at 70k and later another one at around 150k km... again a company car so he didn't really care. BTW what was your reason to go with a TDI instead of a TSI?
There's plenty of them here too, ?koda in general is quite popular. Mine was proooobably a rental, so we'll see how that goes. But this 'needs new turbo after 70k' thing doesn't sound apealing!:?
I dunno, I never even considered a petrol, I like the lower consumption of a diesel. Though I didn't mind the 1.2 90hp in the replacement Rapid I drove. After a few weeks I got used to it, it was actually pretty quick and consumption wasn't that bad. It's lighter then the Octavia though, obviously. Everything else though, not that good.

You do realize your girl has a huge moustache, right? :tease:
Maybe that was the plan... ::shifty:

Yeah, I'm in shock too. Had the same shock when I found out that somebody bought an even less practical cabriolet lately. Thehe.

Anyway, back to the Skoda: I drove a 2015 estate version a while ago and truly loved the looks and the design. Skoda does that just right.
Besides: Congratulations! Sure, that engine isn't going to rip the tarmac off the streets but I bet that thing is frugal like heck. So anytime you see Icebone mocking my Audi's fuel consumption feel free to throw in your lower number, thank you very much. :lol:
No, it's not a tarmac eating monster, not by far, but for us it's enough (well, for now). We're used to the little Fabia but this is bigger, comfier, faster. Basically the reasons we wanted to upgrade.

And as for all the 'not a wagon?' questions, we did want a wagon, and ideally it would have a bit more HP and a 6spd, but in a moment of crazyness (or stupidity, same thing) we decided this would do.
It's got a huge boot even without the big back end, and while there were some wagons, they were lower spec and we decided this would be better. Next one will be a wagon...
No stop asking about it :mrgreen:

Congrats!

Reactions: 47
Nice choice!

I love how light it is for it's size.

The Octavia really does offer the "most" car for the money in it's segment. It's as roomy as many of the real midsize offerings yet costs less than a Golf.

Race blue would have been a nice touch though. I think the Octavia can get a little too anonymous in the more regular colours.

I approve of this purchase. :thumbsup:

As for the wagon/liftback discussion, well, the biggest reason I ended up with a wagon is that it is the default choice for me. Most people end up with sedans because they "don't need wagons" but I buy wagons because I have no need for sedans.

On the second generation, the difference in load capacity between the wagon and liftback is like 30 liters (iirc) and it's all on top of the parcel shelf. The actual boot space is identical between the two. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case with the third generation as well.

Reactions: lip
Congrats!
Thanks

Nice choice!

I love how light it is for it's size.

The Octavia really does offer the "most" car for the money in it's segment. It's as roomy as many of the real midsize offerings yet costs less than a Golf.

Race blue would have been a nice touch though. I think the Octavia can get a little too anonymous in the more regular colours.
Yeah, I was surprised too, it's lighter then the focus I used to drive. Couldn't be picky about the colour, not many not-gray ones in the ads anyway :D

I approve of this purchase. :thumbsup:

As for the wagon/liftback discussion, well, the biggest reason I ended up with a wagon is that it is the default choice for me. Most people end up with sedans because they "don't need wagons" but I buy wagons because I have no need for sedans.

On the second generation, the difference in load capacity between the wagon and liftback is like 30 liters (iirc) and it's all on top of the parcel shelf. The actual boot space is identical between the two. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case with the third generation as well.
Yeah, i think they're identical, minus the space above the shelf in the wagon.

Glad to see that Skoda's aesthetic has stayed the same. Very understated and minimalist, but not cheap or chintzy looking. And the sensibility! :p

Congrats!
Thank you. Yeah, I love the looks of this one. Liked the second gen, too, but not the facelifted one with the weird headlights.

Also, it would seem I am now labeled as a sensible person, hm :D Well, at least I still have the bike to counter that.