~5,000 mile summer road trip to Glacier NP and Canada. Tips requested

Clockwerk

Forum Addict
So this July I'll be taking a road trip to Glacier National Park and then make my way to Jasper, AB and points east including Saskatoon, Regina, and Winnipeg. Has anyone hear visited those locations and have helpful hints for the area. Stuff like "things to not miss", "Places to eat" and "how to avoid getting mauled by a bear". It's going to be a ~15 or so day trip and the only reservations I have made are in Glacier NP and Jasper, AB. This will be my first time visiting this part of Canada.

I don't have anything to add other than that you are doing an almost perfect circle around where I live. :lol:

Actually, I have been to the western parts of Montana you are looking at, I'll post some places to check out later tonight.

Bears, Bears, Bears. Read up on and learn everything you need to know about bears, PLEASE. I went to Glacier when I was 8(?) and saw Black Bears twice. From Regina on you are in Bear country.

Make sure to take a drive up Going To The Sun Road. Well worth your time.

Having been to most of those places you've listed on your scheduled itinerary, I can safely say that I don't remember most of it. However, do try to hit most of the mountain lakes near Jasper, and the Canadian glaciers as well. There's one that you can actually book tours onto the glacier itself, if I remember correctly. As for Glacier national park... yeah it has glaciers and stuff. :p

:edit: Yay, 1000 posts and it's mildly helpful. :lol:

Not a bad route. The Ice Fields Parkway is quite a nice place to visit (they drive up the glaciers with big snow-cat-bus-thingys), but avoid the restaurant there since its full always chinese(and lots of others im sure) tourists. Lake Louise should definitely be a place to stop for a while(lots of nice places to hike, enough people so you won't get raped by the bears, wolves, moose, elks, deer, etc.). You might want to consider getting a bear spray if you're that worried about them. I've been in the mountains there lots though and have never been attacked by a bear, not even once. ;)
You can't really go wrong with your trip through that area.
But The trip from Edmonton to Winnipeg will be mind-numbingly boring, nothing much to see there...
Edit:
Also, don't forget your Canadian dictionary.

Last edited:
Not a bad route. The Ice Fields Parkway is quite a nice place to visit (they drive up the glaciers with big snow-cat-bus-thingys), but avoid the restaurant there since its full always chinese(and lots of others im sure) tourists. Lake Louise should definitely be a place to stop for a while(lots of nice places to hike, enough people so you won't get raped by the bears, wolves, moose, elks, deer, etc.). You might want to consider getting a bear spray if you're that worried about them. I've been in the mountains there lots though and have never been attacked by a bear, not even once. ;)
You can't really go wrong with your trip through that area.
But The trip from Edmonton to Winnipeg will be mind-numbingly boring, nothing much to see there...
Edit:
Also, don't forget your Canadian dictionary.

Thanks for the tips. I was kidding about the bears as I've done quite a bit of backpacking in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming in addition to fly fishing in Alaska.

Good on you for doing a huge roadtrip, but in my personal experience the D to G drive is really, really boring. How long were you planning on staying in each city?