50 years ago the music died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Care to explain ?

OP (original poster) said that music died in 1959.

I say, it most certainly did not. And I didn't even mention The Beatles, which everyone and their mother has a boner for.

I say, it most certainly did not. And I didn't even mention The Beatles, which everyone and their mother has a boner for.

Yeah, just as I thought. You should really read up on history of rock 'n' roll. 3rd of February 1959 is considered "The Day The Music Died" because of the lyrics of "American Pie" by Don Maclean.

Wikipedia said:
On February 3, 1959, a small-plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, United States killed three American rock and roll musicians: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, as well as the pilot, Roger Peterson. The day was later called The Day the Music Died by Don McLean in his 1971 song "American Pie".

It doesn't mean the OP thinks that was the day music died. That particular day has been called "The Day The Music Died" since 1971 and American Pie.

So it is you who failed sir, not the OP ;)

Last edited:
So it is you who failed sir, not the OP ;)

I know the lyrics of the song, and I did not fail.

Should I make a thread titled 'We were liberated from the foe, that's all!' because it's the lyrics to a song? I think the OP was stating that music sucked after Buddy Holly died.

I know the lyrics of the song, and I did not fail.

Should I make a thread titled 'We were liberated from the foe, that's all!' because it's the lyrics to a song? I think the OP was stating that music sucked after Buddy Holly died.

I think the point...is that it was the anniversary of that day. :?

For what it's worth I sort of agree with Model 944.

I know all about American Pie and this day, but come on, aside from Buddy Holly I don't think anyone gives a toss about the other two. So far as I know, Valens and the Big Bopper only have one famous song each.

I get it, three of them died in the same incident on the same day, but still, we've lost much greater artists after that just not at the same time.

For what it's worth I sort of agree with Model 944.

I know all about American Pie and this day, but come on, aside from Buddy Holly I don't think anyone gives a toss about the other two. So far as I know, Valens and the Big Bopper only have one famous song each.

I get it, three of them died in the same incident on the same day, but still, we've lost much greater artists after that just not at the same time.

Firstly, they were the forefathers of the music revolution of the fifties, maybe they weren't as massively successful as The Beatles, or Bob Dylan, etc. But those bands couldn't be what they are without them, modern music owes them a hell of a lot.

Secondly, the whole crash kinda has the James Dean effect. What could those three young singers have accomplished if they hadn't died that day. They were all three still young, and rapidly rising stars. You never know.

Fixed that for you.

No, I fucking HATE the beatles, as do others around this place. Give me two bullets and I'll reunite them for you.

Thread closed by request.

Status
Not open for further replies.