[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

• Total voters
Still not a big fan of Richard's presenting style - all that OVER ENUNCIATING and the manly, sideways pose, but I quite enjoyed the show. Had no problem with the invisibility sequence - it was shown in the context of Bond fans having hated the invisibility cloak thing in the movie (can't remember which one - didn't watch the Brosnan movies) and showing how well it (doesn't) work. It was light-hearted. So what?

I wonder sometimes if some of you ever crack a smile.

I am glad Ben decided to go. I like new stig better.

It's ok, nothing less, nothing more. Didn't like that posh bloke in Monaco.
Still don't like Hammond in this type of film/special. I enjoyed his remark to Ben about writing a book, though. I find it's still funny.

That was one of the best pieces of television I've ever seen. If Series 19 is anything like that, bring it on!

10. Richard should be narrating documentaries, not presenting Total Wipeout.

I actually really enjoyed that. Richard didn't play the dumb hick, and even at the end he didn't do anything stupid. It really was a great episode, even if it was slightly spoilerish at the end. I would like to commend Wilman and whoever else directed, because that was one of the best episodes I have seen in a while.

9.5/10

No, it is wrong if you enjoyed Top Gear India Special more than falling down from stairs while being shot with darts.

Just finished watching and I really enjoyed it. It felt like one of the better, earlier TG-films dealing with legendary or important cars - expanded to a full hour. That's why I don't really mind JC's and JM's absence ... at least they had the (ex-)Stig in there ..:D Although I have to say that JM in particular would've been great to have in this special. With his level of nerdiness and love for classic (British) cars, he would've been a perfect co-host. But even without him, you could sense that both RH and everyone involved behind the camera really enjoyed making this thing and cared about the subject matter.

Points deducted for the "cocking-about" bits. Both the ideas were great (RL Vanish-Van and SCUBA-Lotus) but were drawn out a bit too long IMO. Also minor deductions for the fact that this was an obvious plug for the new film - but OTOH, the release of a new Bond-film is probably the perfect opportunity to produce a piece like this. I don't really think they could get all those cars and people from Bond's past and present in front of the camera and still produce a film such as this on a (halfway?) reasonable budget.

And besides: With the horribly long TG-break this year, I'm glad for any halfway decent piece the guys crank out.

Oh, and yes: I sure hope this bit will end up on the Skyfall-DVD/-BR as a bonus feature.

Personally I loved the 750i, the interaction between Bond and the German lady was brilliant

I personally hate that little sequence. Brosnan's German is just horrible, and that's not what I'd expect from Bond. I wish they would've done a better job at training him up for those few lines he had.

But the 750i as a Bond-car? Err, nope, sorry. As much as I like BMWs, none of them ever felt right for the character. I'd go as far as to say that the entire brand BMW is simply the wrong choice for Bond. And the fact that the whole Brosnan-era reeked of obvious product-placement makes it even worse. At that time they were doing it so clumsily that it really ruins the films for me (among other things). Especially that pointless Z3-sequence that puts Bond into a hairdresser's car and has him simply driving it on some dirt road for a few seconds. And back then, they dared to call the Z3 "the new Bond car" for this. Yikes! Granted: The 750 at least had a great stunt-/gadget-sequence, but it's just the wrong kind of car for Bond. I can buy him in a more everyday car if it makes sense within the story (like the rental-Mondeo in CR), but the 750 was supposed to be his company car.

S.

Last edited:
An English Gentleman would NEVER EVER drive a BMW.

An AM or a modded Jag (and not in a 'lary' way) is more like it.

Any how 9/10. ... Well done one and all - usual TG strenths cinematography, Richard actually doing sensible interviews with the stars of the show.

I think I am going to see Skyfall, I was not that bothered but now I think I will. Adele's voice is luschious.

Hammond (when not in cock or idiot mode) can deliver a pretty good footage.

9/10.

An English Gentleman would NEVER EVER drive a BMW.

An AM or a modded Jag (and not in a 'lary' way) is more like it.

Going OT here, but: Seeing the huge success of BMWs in the UK, it must be pretty hard to find a real gentleman over there these days.. :D

Gotta agree with your statement though. But these days, it's really not that easy to assign Bond his perfect car. Lotus is out of the game in my book (Bond in an Exige? lol), Jaguars are too commonplace. While big, powerful Bentleys used to be a great choice, the current ones certainly aren't. Which pretty much leaves only Aston - even if there were no historical connection through the Goldfinger-car.

S.

It has always been difficult to find a proper English (as opposed to Welsh, Scots or Irish) Gentleman. BMW are now driven by sales reps some of whom are very successful 6 & 7 series, some moderately so 3 & 5 and some who are just out of Uni 1 series.

XF Jag would be OK I think. Cerainly nothing foreign; Armstrong Siddeley perhaps?

Last edited:
According to Wikipedo, only 192 Vantage Volantes were built. Howmanyleft says there are only 16 on the road. It may have been too hard to try to get one if Aston wouldn't provide their museum piece.

Volante means convertible.

According to Wikipedo, only 192 Vantage Volantes were built. Howmanyleft says there are only 16 on the road. It may have been too hard to try to get one if Aston wouldn't provide their museum piece.

I think the movie car was not a Volante - that is the convertible. It was a regular Vantage. Richard could have driven one of those, or even a regular V8 Aston. Here are the production figures of all cars that shared that body-shape:

V8 Saloon Series 2: 288
V8 Saloon Series 3: 967
V8 Saloon Series 4: 352
V8 Saloon Series 5: 405

V8 Volante Series 1: 656
V8 Volante Series 2: 245

V8 Vantage Series 1: 38 + 13 US-spec models with regular engine
V8 Vantage Series 2: 304 + 14 US-spec models with regular engine

V8 Vantage Volante: 192 + 56 US-spec models with regular engine
V8 Vantage Zagato/Vantage Volante Zagato: 89

The movie calls it a "winterized" Volante; there's a scene in Q's workshop where you see them lowering a hardtop onto a Volante. The actual car used during the snow scenes was probably a normal V8 Vantage though.

In the Living Daylights, he drove a V8 Volante (Non Vantage) and a V8 Vantage coupe.

Hammond drove the coupe, but said Volante.

Obviously I need to rewatch the movie.

TLD is one of my favourite Bond films and has been for years. The Aston chase for all it's goofs and faults is still one of the best IMHO and the Aston bursting out of the barn just before it explodes still gives me goosebumps every time.

Twas a nice show, really comfy to watch.

9/10. Only because it wasn't really a new TG ep, as in Series 19. :p