[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

• Total voters
I liked it more than "The Greatest Movie Chases Ever" DVD since they actually showed clips of the film. :)

BBC America is showing this special on Monday (so about a one week delay). Perhaps this is a sign that Series 19 will be shown the following week (just as Doctor Who is now shown the same day as it is in the UK).

BBC America is showing this special on Monday (so about a one week delay). Perhaps this is a sign that Series 19 will be shown the following week (just as Doctor Who is now shown the same day as it is in the UK).

No, it won't, since S19 hasn't finished filming. It's scheduled for around February.

I thought "oh dear, this won't end well" when Hammond decided to go amphibious, but no, it worked! Would have liked to him in a Sunbeam Alpine - love the styling of that car, but oh well. The rest are covered nicely.

Didn't know that that's how Lotus barged their way into things...won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet...

I couldn't give it a 10...not possible with the horrible Transit sequence.
I think that was brilliant. There was a theme to the middle part of the special, which was: Bond should have never driven a BMW. It was a horrible idea and wrong.
Thus, mocking BMW by using an used Transit as a stand-in and deliberately cocking up the PENIS device actually made a valid point within the narrative of the special.
Horrible BMW Bond car => Horrible DIY Bond gadget car.
Brilliant Lotus Bond car => Awesome DIY submarine car.

I loved it. Was full of really interesting info and very well made with TG's touch. Also Ben Collins being there was hilarious.

HMS = Her (or his) Majesty's Ship, as the armed forces are nominally hers.

No, it won't, since S19 hasn't finished filming. It's scheduled for around February.

Sorry, I meant "the following week after the UK broadcast".

They do joke that it is the most-pirated BBC show so honestly they could even show it on Monday at 9PM (the current time slot) since the UK broadcast is around noon on Sunday.

I think that was brilliant. There was a theme to the middle part of the special, which was: Bond should have never driven a BMW. It was a horrible idea and wrong.
Thus, mocking BMW by using an used Transit as a stand-in and deliberately cocking up the PENIS device actually made a valid point within the narrative of the special.
Horrible BMW Bond car => Horrible DIY Bond gadget car.
Brilliant Lotus Bond car => Awesome DIY submarine car.

The "invisible car" that they were mocking was an Aston Martin Vanquish though. ;)

The "invisible car" that they were mocking was an Aston Martin Vanquish though. ;)
Was it? Well, it certainly was part of the "well, there were some bad Bond car moments"-segment of the special, though.

I am very pleased they talked as much as they did about the novel Bond and his car - the books are so much more enjoyable than the films!

Agreed. I was hoping they'd touch upon the Bentley Mark II Continental Bond uses in the later novels, but the show was good enough already. I thought I'd heard pretty much every anecdote about the Bond films, but there was actually some new information in this special. You can tell it was made with fanboy love!

Was on BBCA last night, will watch when get home and not have avoid this thread as much.

BBC Canada has aired two versions of this - one filled a 90 minute (with commercials) timeslot, and one filled a 60 minute one. Which one aired on BBC America? And has a shortened "Dave" version aired in the UK yet?

Bit soon for "Dave", Raph. The BBC can still extract a bit of mileage out of it. I expect* to see it back in the schedule over the Christmas period

*always wrong