[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

[50 Years of Bond Cars Special] 18x08 October 29th, 2012

• Total voters
TLD is one of my favourite Bond films and has been for years. The Aston chase for all it's goofs and faults is still one of the best IMHO and the Aston bursting out of the barn just before it explodes still gives me goosebumps every time.

Me too! It combines probably my favourite Bond actor, probably my favourite Bond car (I have a Corgi toy of it on my desk - complete with pop-out skis!:woot:) and a great story. And that shed explosion bit is one of the iconic moments that comes to mind when I think of Bond films. Also, the first time I watched it (I was quite young) I was genuinely quite upset when the Aston self-destructed. :cry:

Reactions: MWF
It was good to see Hammond as himself. The show was great and learned a few things. I am shocked the Lotus worked underwater!

I am very pleased they talked as much as they did about the novel Bond and his car - the books are so much more enjoyable than the films!

TLD is one of my favourite Bond films and has been for years. The Aston chase for all it's goofs and faults is still one of the best IMHO and the Aston bursting out of the barn just before it explodes still gives me goosebumps every time.

My favourite too. When Bond first arrives at the safe house, he's driving a convertible. The combination of Timothy Dalton in his prime and a convertible Aston is enough to make my head explode.

And don't get me started on the Hercules stunt..

My favourite too. When Bond first arrives at the safe house, he's driving a convertible. The combination of Timothy Dalton in his prime and a convertible Aston is enough to make my head explode.

And don't get me started on the Hercules stunt..

What about the opener atop the Land Rover? You do know he did rather a lot of his own stunt work, including quite a bit of that one?

I'm surprised at all the positive response but I guess to each their own, I thought it was relatively boring not enough hoonage :(

What about the opener atop the Land Rover? You do know he did rather a lot of his own stunt work, including quite a bit of that one?

Great opener to that film. I know he did the running across the roofs bit as well.

I've just discovered I don't own it on DVD. An oversight which must be rectified this weekend

The consistent references to Ben's departure from the show were kind of "meh" for me. But about the invisible van thing - I know that James and Richard did that for Top Gear at the Movies, but I'm pretty sure that they used a Range Rover as the car. Am I wrong here?

Either way, this was pretty cool. The underwater car was really the icing on the cake. Does anyone remember that Rinspeed sQuba concept or whatever it was called?

I thought the Sony partnership was fairly new (try to count the Sony/SonyEricsson products in any Bond movie) but apparently they even supplied the TV for the 2000GT.

In any case, great episode. Like both Clarkson and Hammond said on twitter, Andy Wilman rocks.

Enjoyed the hell out if, but maybe next time don't fill the final ten minutes breaking down how they did stuff on a movie that the bulk of people havn't seen yet.
Sheesh, spoiler tags maybe? :p

Im realy suprised that you'r the only one mentioned the spoiler issue.
I was quite pissed, after the last ten minutes. <_<

10/10, for the absense of a written failure for comedy of the invisible car and Aqua-Lotus bits. Everything else was really interesting and I was glued to the screen throughout. First TG episode to do so for a while.

Im realy suprised that you'r the only one mentioned the spoiler issue.
I was quite pissed, after the last ten minutes. <_<

Agreed. I was about to stop watching it because of the spoilers, but it isn't too bad. Ah well.

10/10, for the absense of a written failure for comedy of the invisible car and Aqua-Lotus bits.

There are many of us who would disagree on the first one of those. It wasn't remotely funny in At The Movies, and it was cringe-inducing in this special.

Oh come on, it was light-hearted and was used to poke fun at the Bond version. It fitted the film.

Oh come on, it was light-hearted and was used to poke fun at the Bond version. It fitted the film.

Jar Jar Binks fitted The Phantom Menace too.

I didn't mind the 'invisible' car. It reminded me that it was still Top Gear who's making the documentary. It was a nice switch between all the information and serious stuff and it didn't last that long (and the P.E.N.I.S. was funny)

With that said I also didn't mind Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars ...

I gave it a 9

I liked the 'behind-the-scenes' talk -interesting stuff to hear and learn how things have been done back in the days at the set. I didn't like the BMW Z3 + Z8 back then and so do I nowadays. But they are part of the Bond History so I have to accept them being mentioned in this special. The 750i is just fine and somewhat cheap to buy (depending on its condition) here BTW.

The music was good IMHO. What I didn't like was that the movie got a bit straightforward in some ways. Richard should have driven more Bond cars before coming to the Lotus submariner segment. But in the end, I mostly liked Richards comment:

'Umm jap. That's a leak.' -Top Gear Style :mrgreen:

I'm surprised at all the positive response but I guess to each their own, I thought it was relatively boring not enough hoonage :(

Me too.

I'm not going to mark something up, just because it lacks something I detest (scripted fails etc). I had to watch it twice, because I fell asleep during the first screening.

I gave it a 9/10. Mainly because I don't see anything as "TopGear" unless all the boys are involved. This was just a documentary on the history of James Bond, only it focused on the cars from the films. The cloaking device Transit and underwater Lotus aren't the sort of goofy fun TopGear stuff we're use to, but for a documentary film, I thought they were a nice lighthearted addition. I also found the Ben Collins "I am the Stig" t-shirt and book references pretty amusing as well. Lots of stuff on TopGear have made me cringe, but nothing from this film had that effect on me.

Last edited:
For the spoilers, I heard there were going to be a few and deliberately delayed watching the special until I had seen the film. Best this way.