5150 III - Time for a new computer

jack_christie

Forum Addict
One of the reasons I refuse to use RGB is because while they're not a massive power draw individually, that shit can add up in a big god damn hurry.

Something I didn't talk about was a bit of panic I had after I ordered my power supply. As I said I was looking at 650 and 750w units, several weeks ago at about 2AM I noticed Amazon got an allotment of the Corsair 650's and for less than anywhere else but they were going FAST. Literally in a 3 minute span their stock went from 20 down to 7, so I pounced on it. PCPartPicker said my total estimated power draw would be just a hair under 400w not counting a few other things like the fans, so I figured having 250w of headroom over that would be more than enough.
Funny that I bought the same cpu, but everthing else is different.

Was going to buy 750w PSU but amazon didn't have what I wanted, but bought a 650w BeQuiet when I could have bought a 750 :-?

Ended up with Corsair RGB ram as that was the only 32Gb kit available when buying 🌈

CPU cooler is a Dark Rock 4, which is also a tight squeeze.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
I may have hit the silicon lottery with my chip, I've now seen it boost up to the 4.4ghz limit on its own. I don't know how long it can sustain that speed but I've seen stories from people where their chips could barely reach 4.0 or 4.1 no matter how much they tried to push it.

Even with the impending release of the nvidia 30 series along with the 4000 series CPU's and big Navi, I have zero regret about buying what I did when I did. A newer GPU would have meant trying to find an even bigger power supply to feed it and the new AMD hardware is at best probably going to launch at the same price mine did last year. I feel I got a pretty damn good performance to dollar value out of this build.

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Last edited:

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
Yeah it's XMP/DOCP compatible, this is the kit I bought, https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880?Item=N82E16820232880

After I had W10 installed and everything updated I went into the BIOS and set it to auto and it's been running at the rated 3600mhz with zero issues. As I understand it the infinity fabric runs best at a 1:1 ratio, so half of whatever your RAM is rated at and it maxes out at 1800. I know people have uncoupled the IF and managed to push their RAM into the 5000mhz range by playing with things but I can't see that being stable or safe enough for day to day use.

The current thinking is if you have 3rd gen Ryzen and want the best performance with the least hassle, just grab 3600 with the lowest CL you can afford, enable DOCP, and call it good. They've done benchmarks where they've played around with things not only is there next to zero benefit beyond 3600, but you can actually lose performance.

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Another thing with Ram which I never really paid attention to is some are compatible but not optimized.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
Just ran my first official in game benchmark using GTA 5, and with everything set to max it ran at 60fps the whole time. I had vsync turned on and the refresh rate locked to 60mhz because that's as high as my monitor goes. If I unlocked it it would probably go double that given the benchmarks I've seen for similar builds. On GSX I could play game at a pretty solid fps but only at low settings. it still looked better than my PS3 version if only because it ran at 1080p vs 720p.

I've been playing a lot of Fallout 4 lately, previously I had to run a mod called Vivid Fallout that came in a few different flavors, I used the one that reduced the file size of the vanilla textures by half but had almost no quality loss. Because I have 4x the vRam now I decided to try the high res version that made everything look extra pretty and... it just kept crashing my game. But just look at dem godrays.

ScreenShot0.pngScreenShot1.png

I remember when Fallout 3 came out and when I tried to play it on 5150, I had to set it to 800x600 and set everything to the lowest possible setting and it was still a slideshow. I know I had a screenshot saved on Phyerfile/armedcats but that's gone now.

ScreenShot7.pngScreenShot8.png