5150 III - Time for a new computer

Yup, I know I'm in the minority but I've always felt Sammy was a way way better singer than Roth was on his best day. Plus when I first started playing bass 20+ years ago, the shop I always visited was a big Peavey dealer and Eddie was endorsing them at the time so his guitars and amps were all over the place, so the 5150 label just kinda stuck with me.

Both Roth and Hagar were good, but you are talking about two different styles too.

Eddie, can play, but damn, he is an asshole. He always claimed the the singers had LSD(lead singer disease), but since he has made the band a family affair by pushing everyone else out, he proved himself wrong. He and Ted Nugent suffer from the same thing, being an ego with some talent that are both way over inflated.

Oh you'll get no argument from me, Eddie is a great guitar player but a major major asshole delux. But he's not as bad as Nugent. Not only does Ted love to act as if he's a bad ass but in reality is a fucking coward, but he's also a pedophile. He adopted a young girl just so he could fuck her.

As for Eddie, I remember how he split from Peavey. He was supposed to show up to their booth at NAMM, play a bit to show off the gear, then do a Q&A. Instead he showed up about 90 minutes late drunk off his ass, strummed his Wolfgang twice, then walked off. Obviously Peavey was majorly pissed off over it and cut ties with him.

But I digress.

Can someone explain to me why RGB is so god damn popular these days? Yeah seeing your ram light up is neat the first time you see it, but then it's just a waste of energy, because odds are you're the only one who's ever going to see it. While looking for parts I keep seeing it as a main feature and all I can think is "Yeah that's great, but can you turn it the fuck off?"

In my view the only lights that should be in your case are ones that serve a function like indicator lights or a temp readout, that's it.

Personally I like RGB, I like the look of the all glass case and it would be pointless if there was nothing to see. I also paid a lot for those components so I like seeing them and seeing them put on a show. Two and a half years after building it, I still haven't got bored of having the machine lit up in the Dolch colour and at this level of machine the comparable power usage is negligible. The fact that dust barely builds up inside means it stays nice too.

IMG_4964_S1920.jpg

Aside from all that, if the inside of the case wasn't lit up it would've taken much longer to realise that my AIO cooler was leaking.

RGB puke is a hideous thing. Setting it to a fixed pattern, or a single color is great. I agree with Matt, I paid for it, like looking at it, and I am still a bit disappointed that I could not buy the RGB RAM at the time I built my PC because it was so freaking expensive at the time. If you don't like it, don't use it, or shut it off(yes you can).

https://www.pcgamer.com/some-amd-boards-with-the-budget-b550-chipset-cost-more-than-x570/

Well piss...

I'm still waiting for a full list of prices to be announced, but damn, they were supposed to be a lot cheaper after being delayed for a year. I've no idea what brand I'll be going with, I really wish EVGA was making AMD boards because their customer service is absolutely outstanding.

Several years ago the fan on my northbridge cooler died and I was literally years out of warranty, so I scoured amazon and newegg looking for a replacement fan and found nothing that would work, so tried contacting EVGA directly. I told them what happened and that I knew I was out of warranty so I understood if they couldn't help me, but if they had a spare fan sitting around that I could buy that would be great. This was around 12:30AM. Within 10 minutes I got an email from them saying "Please confirm your mailing address and we'll overnight a new fan to you, no charge". That is how you gain trust and loyalty.

Anyway, the only feature I'd like to have on a new mobo is built in wifi but it's not a requirement at all. Something else that I would like would be dual bios if something went wrong along with power and reset buttons right on the PCB, but again that's just something I'd like to have. If it looks like I'd be spending the same kind of money for a B550 as an X570, then I might as well just go for that instead.

I will always go dual bios if it's an option. I've had it save my butt in the past after a bad PSU bricked the bios.

Probably the most complex time to buy, what with all that^ , new Intel and AMD cpu's and new gpu's due from Nvidia, AMD and Intel.

If AMD deliver the promised 50% boost in power, 4k gaming should drop in price considerably.

Last edited:
Yeah I've heard about the refreshed XT versions of the Ryzen chips coming, it remains to be seen where they'll be priced when they actually hit the shelves though. Just like with the new GFX cards on the horizon, instead of dropping the price on the older stuff it's possible they just raise the ceiling for the newest stuff and $500+ will just become the norm. Nvidia obviously doesn't have a problem selling cards that cost twice that.

What ever motherboard you get make sure it can take the AMD Zen 3 due later this year. It would give you more future upgrade options.

Recommend more than one M2 slot. Prices keep falling.

I would get 32GB of ram if you tend to have a lot of things open.

I have a 3700X with 32GB Corsair Vengeance. Accidentally bought RGB RAM :blink:

Shop around when buy CPU or GPU some retailers or online offer game vouchers

Yeah I've heard about the refreshed XT versions of the Ryzen chips coming, it remains to be seen where they'll be priced when they actually hit the shelves though. Just like with the new GFX cards on the horizon, instead of dropping the price on the older stuff it's possible they just raise the ceiling for the newest stuff and $500+ will just become the norm. Nvidia obviously doesn't have a problem selling cards that cost twice that.

New stuff is being released every year, just buy what you can afford now. For the CPUs you won't notice any performance difference in games.

I'm holding off because as I've said before, parts are in short supply right now and prices are high for a lot of things. I can wait till things become more reasonable. If I bought a 3700X right now at $275 but could get the same chip next month for $250 after the XT's drop, I'd be kicking myself. Same with power supplies, I don't want to spend $135 on the same unit that would normally retail for $90 just because the demand is outstripping the supply.

https://wccftech.com/amd-b550-motherboards-prices-unveiled-msi-asus-asrock-gigabyte/

So prices have been revealed for pretty much all of the launch B550 mobos, and I've no idea which brand I'm going to go with. I've heard some negative things about all of them save for Asus, mainly how MSI and Gigabyte have just terrible BIOS. Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the ASUS TUF Gaming Plus, 5150 had an Asus board so I trust their quality. BUT MSI is offering a $60 Steam gift card if you buy a new Ryzen chip and one of their B550 boards, which makes for a pretty tempting offer.

Anyone have any suggestions or words of warning?

I also keep flip flopping on how to best cool this thing down. Spend $90 for a beefy aftermarket cooler like a Be Quiet or Noctua and then another $50 or so for more intake and exhaust fans. Or spend $90 on something like a Corsair 240 AIO, let the radiator fans work as exhaust and spend $20 for more intake fans. I'm literally going around in a circle over this in my head with the pros and cons of each setup.